Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
In case anyone runs into this issue, the 1.4.2 msi installer is broken. Use the archive to install instead.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bozart posted:

I just used it yesterday, no problem.
I downloaded it today and redownloaded it and kept getting bytes.[various things] errors on most standard library files when I attempted to build anything. Installing from the archive allowed everything to build/run fine.

Google turned up no one else having the issue.

edit: I just downloaded and installed it on my laptop and it was doing the same thing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 11, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, thanks for opening my eyes guys. I had found some older documentation that indicated that GOMAXPROCS defaulted to 1 and best practice was to leave it there. I'm certainly more familiar with multithreaded C# / Java and using Goldman Sachs Collections from Kotlin looked like a simple solution, but I'm going to take a look at Go before I write it off.
That's too old. Around Go 1.5 it improved dramatically to the point where on program startup GOMAXPROCS is set to the number of processors your computer tells Go it has.

I've done some AI stuff in Go for fun and the parallelism is respectable. I've mostly only done parallel stuff in C/C++ without boost/openmp/anything and OpenCL/CUDA so I don't know what fluff other languages bolt on. If you are just looking for it to run in parallel with decent performance Go can deliver. If you're looking for it to simplify the process greatly, Go's language features don't vanish but there's nothing beyond that. Which is honestly fine for lots of applications.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 2, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

limaCAT posted:

I was going to ask about the usual "ok but what about 'missing feature X'" (mostly exception handling and generics) but this talk (and some slides on currency and channels) convinced me about looking a bit deeper at Go as a serious language:
Go is good tool for web services and similar applications. I've used it off and on since 2014 and as long as you don't venture too far from that realm it's truly well designed. It's also not bad for command-line/one-off programs that most people would probably reach for Python/bash/perl/whatever to make. Its portability, single day learning curve, ease of developing in, and ease of setting up its environment are all great. It has similar level performance to pretty much anything for web stuff. It's not slow and carrying five tons of baggage like lots of the common web backend languages, and it doesn't require significant developer investment like C++ or functional languages. It also doesn't require consuming a bloated corpse like the JVM languages.

Its package management left a lot to be desired last time I used it, but it was supposed to be fixed at some ambiguous time in the future which may have already happened.

Due to the positives, people often use it for things it's real bad at. It is missing language features that are very useful for certain types of applications, but it's mostly intentional to make the language better at what it's good at. It's a current-gen tool for a specific type of program and a drat good one.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 6, 2018