Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I've been using go a lot lately for toolmaking and it's been pretty great for that.

I've been using VS Code and it's been pretty good, but want to be sure I'm not missing a better Dev environment for go.

Is anything else going to do better than VS Code + plugins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

NtotheTC posted:

Odd question but whats Go like as a language to learn for career development? I have 6 years of experience with web development using python, but I want to make myself a little more well-rounded and break out of my comfort zone.

I like the idea of learning a lower level language than python bit I dont know of there are any practical benefits to it or whether I should be looking instead to expand into a discipline like machine learning or other data science

I mean; I'm not sure how to answer your question.

Fundamentals are kinda the key to career growth and development; languages are tools. You're not going to hurt yourself by learning a tool; but look at the end goal of what that tool is going to let you accomplish better than what current tool(s) you have at your disposal.

What do you want to be doing with your career? If it's machine learning, Go might not be (probably isnt) the most optimal use of your time right now. I happen to use Go heavily for a lot of "DevOps" tool building (gently caress I am so tired of that word), but it just happens to be a well suited tool for the job. Often I'll end back up in python because it's more suited for a specific task.

In the end; I'd say:
- Think about what you want to be doing in terms of your career.
- Look into what specific languages and toolchains are most heavily utilized in that space
- Spend your time really honing your understanding of the fundamentals conceptually; generally focus on what's widely used in the area(s) you're interested in, but dont be afraid to pick up new tools / languages if and when it is appropriate.

But Go is awesome, too. So if you're looking for a challenge or just bored and want to mix it up, go for it!