Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rvm posted:

When it comes to debugging, though, it's probably IDEA > VS Code / Sublime >>> Atom.

I just wanted to say, I spent about 80% of my time today at work writing Go on Microsoft VS Code on a Mac. I am pretty sure 12 year old me in the early 90s would have never guessed that in a million years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a fast and easy way to install go 1.6+ (preferably 1.7.2+) on a RPi 3

Hypriot has some crazy 27 step guide on compiling Go for ARM64 but it's got to be easier than that... right? I was unable to find any precompiled binaries ready to go.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Is there a fast and easy way to install go 1.6+ (preferably 1.7.2+) on a RPi 3

Hypriot has some crazy 27 step guide on compiling Go for ARM64 but it's got to be easier than that... right? I was unable to find any precompiled binaries ready to go.

Answer

code:
wget [url]https://storage.googleapis.com/golang/go1.7.3.linux-armv6l.tar.gz[/url]
tar -C /usr/local -xzf go1.7.3.linux-armv6l.tar.gz
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin
And/or https://golang.org/dl/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been using VS Code 1.7+ with the golang plugin and hot drat am I ever a happy camper. It's bare bones but it's a very streamlined bare bones.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Will have to double check when I get home, I have a list of about 11 plugins I run that gets my workflow done.

And yeah, go linter in vscode go plugin is the poo poo, everything I do now goes through a linter. There's a ton of brittle legacy code that someone wrote, basically in notepad, and years later people are still running in to null issues that would have never happened had they been using a linter to catch all those gross mistakes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think this directly solves your problem but I always thought this was a novel tool:

https://github.com/uber/go-torch

We had a critical app that was written by a sophmore/junior level developer, when we scaled up, were able to use this to find pain points quickly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

minato posted:

It's great in a devops space because compiling to a statically-linked binary makes deployment dead easy. No need to faff about with containers to bundle up (say) Python and all its deps.

I rolled out my first container to prod with awless yesterday. We needed access to one aws api, but didn't want to install aws cli, as aws cli is a python script/app which necessitates installing python + at least one additional third party library (boto) + hundreds of files + all of Python's dependencies....

Awless is basically (for my purposes anyways) a clone of aws cli written in go, which means to drop in aws support into a container, I went from a huge dependency liability and hundreds of files due to python (and it's dependencies), to just drop a single semanticallly versioned 10mb binary in the container and I'm done.

Really like the vertical integration that 1 versioned service = 1 versioned go binary = 1 versioned container. In Jira ticket XRY-123 is for X-RAY release 3.1.45, release 3.1.45 is X-RAY service version 3.1.45 , which is tagged to container version X-RAY 3.1.45. So when the customer calls in that the new feature in 3.1.45 is conflicting with another feature, I can go look at all the jira tickets in that release, drill down to the tickets on that release and get the developer that broke it to go fix it and roll it 3.1.46 by the end of day. The product, engineering and customer success teams all care about different things but can communicate clearly because they all use the same versions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Best sound library? I see beep, and a few others but nothing is really jumping out at me

I'm trying to build a specific waveform given a digital input

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm outputting directly to line out, yeah

It's a radio beacon so i only need to transmit maybe 5 x 256 byte packets per 6 minutes, averaging closer to one packet per 3 minutes, so the packet can be pre rendered and played back on demand, more or less. Packet generation is async but playback needs to be in real time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking for a drop in replacement for Django/Rails

Looked at Revel and Beego, but looks like Buffalo is somewhat newer, fully batteries included and excellent community support. The two Buffalo tutorials I looked at looked recognizably like Django but with go syntax.

Any thoughts on these web frameworks for 2019? Community support for go libraries tends to vary over time. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was having shower thoughts about powershell the other day; despite being a Microsoft product, it's remarkably well thought out project and the true balls to the walls level of object oriented-ness is quite impressive.