Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

SavageMessiah posted:

I don't follow, how does not having dynamic linking make it hard to write a good library?

And besides, dynamic linking is coming eventually, it's just not that important to the go team because of what they use it for.

Because a heck of a lot of library writing for new languages is about bindings for tried and tested existing C libs.

Has someone got a SWIG thinger working for GO yet?

edit:
:siren: TOOT TOOT http://www.swig.org/Doc2.0/Go.html TOOT TOOT :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is it just me or do a lot of Go's libraries have utterly garbage documentation. Maybe I'm spoiled by python, but I'm coming across so many libraries that have at best a minimal API documentation and no context at all.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

good jovi posted:

Running the Go process on a higher, unprivileged port and proxying is the way to do it. Look into something more powerful than nohup for running your code, though. I use daemontools at work and it's fine, but I think supervisor is a bit more reasonable to set up. You want something that will handle stdout/stderr redirection, restarting the process when it crashes, and reporting on process status.

Honcho (A python heroku like thing that does Procfiles and .env files) can export out to supervisord. Its really handy for turning 12 factor type apps into non retarded systemd apps.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

First Time Caller posted:

http://www.gopl.io/

This book is releasing in 4 days. Anyone excited?

Brian Kernigan co wrote it? Well thats got my attention!