Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Here's a q for the Go experts -- why is Go's type system brain dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

Huh. That's a really bad blog post.

e: I should probably be less obtuse. I don't like it because it reads like it's written by someone who cannot get beyond syntax and is sore about go not being java, without addressing the flaws of java that go actually sidesteps. The final sentence is pretty telling: "Someone might port Java to that runtime and reap all of the benefits", which I really really doubt.

It's a really good one b/c it adequately captures the feeling of writing go (and searching for go, &c)

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

"we"

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Compile times are important to us. That's why we have offloaded compilation onto our programmers.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

sarehu posted:

Sorry there's no Rap Genius thread.

There's probably one in yospos or smth

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Most of my complaints with Go are with the hype surrounding it anyway. It's fairly palpable. Go is not the saviour.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

Nah that's all good, as long as it can be kept to the concrete. For example, I'd really like to hear why you think the type system is bad and how it hinders you in your day-to-day work, and what you propose should have been done instead, and why you'd expect that to improve things, and what other language you consider has done this right.

e: and that's "you" in the general sense, not specifically directed at "you" in the specific sense.

Most go projects I've seen go to type assertions at some point and some even have to resort to using reflect. Moving your type system to the runtime is a pretty good concrete example of it not being expressive enough.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Voted Worst Mom posted:

What's wrong with type assertions? That's not a strange thing to do when you're using interfaces anyways. I also really doubt many projects have to resort to using reflect unless you're dealing with protocol buffers or something.

It's actually pretty loving strange when all of your type information is known at compile-time. It makes your project more brittle and it's unnecessarily verbose. And gently caress it, why should I have to do it? Why can't it just have a good type system instead?

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I am just learning Go and the fact that it gets so many things right are what make the things that seem 'less right' so frustrating. The type system feels like more of a straight jacket than an actual tool. A good type system can be expressive and powerful in addition to just making your code typesafe.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

sarehu posted:

Here is what annoyed me about Go's type system yesterday. I had several types of slice, and for each of them, I wanted to find the index of the element that matched a given player. In other languages I could just write func[T] lookup(elems []T, f func(T)bool) (index int, found bool) { ... }, or actually it would be a utility written for me, but instead I had to rewrite the same for loop several times. And the same again when I wanted to make a new slice with the matched element removed. I guess it doesn't matter though because Go is made by titans in their field, just like Git, a perfect version control system that is also above criticism.

Don't worry, `go generate` will allow you to fix this by building the world's most simple build system. Any .go file in your repo may bear a `//go:generate` on any line, and go will happily call out to your shell to perform whatever you've put there.

Simple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

duck monster posted:

Is it just me or do a lot of Go's libraries have utterly garbage documentation. Maybe I'm spoiled by python, but I'm coming across so many libraries that have at best a minimal API documentation and no context at all.

I think they're pretty good but assume some familiarity with C.

I wasted half an hour the other day trying to get the binary package's thing to pack my int into bytes, but it turns out its packing is set up for protobufs. D'oh!