Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Guessing as I just started writing Go for real this morning, but Go doesn't allow nil strings, so if you want to differentiate between the empty string and nil string, you need to use *string.

Some fun today realizing bufio Reader.ReadLine() doesn't guarantee it will actually read an entire line, even if one is available, so you still need to loop to assemble a complete line until isPrefix is false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
The issue is from using .proto as a database when it should be defining the structure of your data. Enums first value should be a sane default/unknown entry.

Insurance companies and translations should be defined in a datasource, not hard coded into the protocol.

Imagine DNS requiring a client update eveytime someone registered a new domain?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Most of the time I find the best thing to do with Go is just write the code. No clever tricks or shortcuts. Just write out the structs for your JSON and then you'll have first class objects in go to work with.

That said, https://mholt.github.io/json-to-go/ will generate go structs from a json sample.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
When I first started Whispers of the dead it popped up some help text I accidentally closed. Anything to know besides run the dungeons highlighted with red stars?

edit: wrong thread.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 21, 2023

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

cruft posted:

Super curious about the answer now, op. Please keep us updated!

Diablo 4 (video game) side quest system. It's alright. If you enjoyed previous diablos good chance you'd like this one.

As for Go, I put out a release on Friday and have this week off. Love how much more confident I am I won't be called with an issue compared to v1 of the software that is written in Python .