Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You almost spelled BADASS in the total results ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

If I ever take up acting, my fake-name will be Ed Harrorist.

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014
In the end after ray flew into space and shot an asteroid, I really think there is only one thing to say. gently caress you Steve, Ray just saved literally everyone.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
At first I thought the alternate ending was only almost as good as a metal gear out of nowhere.

Then the music started.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Shrug Niggurath. SHRUG LIKE THE WIND

Penile Dementia
Feb 13, 2006

I Left My Heart in Stamford Bridge
Not content with bitchslapping every natural disaster known to man, Ray moves on to the final frontier. It could only have ended that way.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Rest in peace Ghost-Colonel. You came back from the dead for awhile and that was pretty cool.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008
Niggurath, now that you've LPed the greatest game ever made, is that it for you?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm sorry to see this LP end. This game was a real Ray of dumbshine in a gray shooter world.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

So after the whole game, the final tally on Ray's rampage is: 520 dead, 13 incapacitated, 44.5 rescued people, 3 rescued doggies, 1 dead bear, 1 dead shadow man, 1 karate kicked window, 4 destroyed UAVs, 2 destroyed humvees, 1 destroyed chopper, and 1 destroyed metal gear. These are pretty awesome numbers for one guy and 24 hours.

The game never explicitly showed it but I am assuming that everyone Ray killed was also eaten by him as well.

Fun facts: the highest death toll was the geothermal plant with 111. Second place was the last section of Port Alex with 91

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's weird that they have you shoot so many people in gameplay, but the game goes out of its way (to the point of making even less since) to not have Ray kill anyone during a cutscene.

Also Elissia you're forgetting: One defused nuclear bomb. One destroyed asteroid.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That was the most beautiful ending to a game I have ever seen.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
This was one hell of a ride. Kinda sad we didn't get to see Ray in a spacesuit while he stomps the asteroid into submission, but I suppose a sweet serenade is just as good.

Not to mention one of my neighbors was practicing the trumpet, which only made the video even better.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I had always secretly hoped Evans would turn out to be steve all along, oh well. Thanks for finishing this niggurath you and your compadres did a bang up job.

And holy poo poo that extra ending video.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Just want to point out that nukes are incredibly well armored specifically so that getting slammed around doesn't set them off by accident. That thing could probably take a hit from a tank and, while it would be damaged and not function, it wouldn't go off. This is also because nukes are made to only work by a very specific bit of mechanisms that I forget the specifics of. The gist of it is is that you might get the radiation from whatever isotope it's using leaking from it, but it's incredibly unlikely to go off unless you are specifically trying to get it to go off.

Now, that doesn't mean that the devs knew that when they made the game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
There are multiple different methods by which nuclear weapons can work, but yes they are almost all deliberately set up so that an extremely specific series of actions needs to occur in order for the weapon to explode. If you just pick up and drop a nuke all that will happen is you'll hear a loud clang and then get arrested by military personnel for sneaking into a nuclear weapons storage facility. If you shoot a nuke you'll get some radioactivity from the fissile material leaking out and spreading everywhere, but the nuke itself won't go off from anything short of the proper activation sequence or another nuke.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Neruz posted:

There are multiple different methods by which nuclear weapons can work, but yes they are almost all deliberately set up so that an extremely specific series of actions needs to occur in order for the weapon to explode. If you just pick up and drop a nuke all that will happen is you'll hear a loud clang and then get arrested by military personnel for sneaking into a nuclear weapons storage facility. If you shoot a nuke you'll get some radioactivity from the fissile material leaking out and spreading everywhere, but the nuke itself won't go off from anything short of the proper activation sequence or another nuke.

So the only way to stop a nuke... is with another nuke. I'm picturing a ridiculous cop movie where a nuke is the bad guy so the disgruntled, ostracized nuke-cop has to stop it. The tagline would be "Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Other times, you have to fight nukes with nukes."

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be honest I'm not sure there would be any significant practical difference between setting a nuke off normally or setting a nuke off by detonating another nuke next to it.

Hell fusion bombs are already nukes that are set off by nukes; they start a fission nuclear reaction to provide enough energy to (briefly) start a fusion nuclear reaction. Literally a nuclear warhead pumped nuclear warhead.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This has been the best goddamn game. It's so much better than Metal Gear. :allears:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

You have such a sweet singing voice Niggurath.

Thanks for the LP guys, good to see it finished after following the older LP of it... Maybe good isn't the right word but the alternate ending video made up for that.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks for going all the way! Now I have closure.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for an amazing ride. Please let me know where to send money to buy Geop help for his Pun-itus, and mental health visits for Panzer.

Also I can't believe there were no TSU-NAMI jokes at the end with all that rushing water.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
One of the survivors should have been named Sue Nammy.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mister Xenophobe posted:

Niggurath, now that you've LPed the greatest game ever made, is that it for you?
I think after this he's going to Disneyland and just have a nice long relaxing holiday at the Haunted Mansion.

God dammit Niggurath that was fantastic, this is the perfect way to end this game and you are now in my top tier list of LPers for all the poo poo you did here. Thank you, from a fan of this game sincerely, thank you for the wild ride.

Also holy christ that last bonus mission is just so CLOSE for how much damage you have to do :stare: I've never been able to finish that one.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Night10194 posted:

This has been the best goddamn game. It's so much better than Metal Gear. :allears:

How does this grab you then? :ocelot:

Metal Ray Solid 4/MRS: Rayvengence

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ray is a better character than anything Kojima's ever written. :allears:

Low bar and all.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

FinalGamer posted:

I think after this he's going to Disneyland and just have a nice long relaxing holiday at the Haunted Mansion.

God dammit Niggurath that was fantastic, this is the perfect way to end this game and you are now in my top tier list of LPers for all the poo poo you did here. Thank you, from a fan of this game sincerely, thank you for the wild ride.

Also holy christ that last bonus mission is just so CLOSE for how much damage you have to do :stare: I've never been able to finish that one.
Yeah, I don't want to admit how long it took me to finally take out that stupid asteroid but it was only made worse by the fact that I had to max out the Gatling Gun to do it....and wow, that was the antithesis of fun.

I like it very much.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also hooray for double posting but someone on twitter (https://twitter.com/JunkerV if you want to check out more of her stuff) was nice enough to do some additional fanart for the thread that I wanted to show off:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've never wanted anything more than this. Also wish Evans had turned out to be Steve, of course.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Does the 2 in that poster have bullet holes or chickenpox?

Either way, it's a DISASTER.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm gonna say that's pepperoni.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
Fantastic ending to a great LP, thanks for all the fun.
Shooting down an asteroid with a gatling gun is truly the perfect closure to this game.

Out of curiosity, how hard would you need to grind to actually shoot that asteroid down? Is there any weapon besides the gatling gun that could accomplish that in the first place?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
This was a fantastic LP, guys. This game is absolutely ridiculous and I really couldn't have asked for a more fitting treatment of it. I especially enjoyed the catastrophic use of puns :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I was wondering what they were going to do with "Ticket to Space".

That. That's what they were going to do.

I wish more disasters were susceptible to a gatling gun.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Glazius posted:

Man, I was wondering what they were going to do with "Ticket to Space".

That. That's what they were going to do.

I wish more disasters were susceptible to a gatling gun.

Everything is susceptible to more gun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Neruz posted:

Everything is susceptible to more gun.
That reminds me of that Re-Mission shooter where you gun down cancer cells in children's bodies and call in radiotherapy like a GDI ion cannon.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Well done, Niggurath, Panzer and Geop. I've laughed, I've cried, I've learned to love (and love to hate) puns again.

You've done an amazing job making this an enjoyable ride. Thanks a bunch!

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Honestly disappointed Steve didn't show up at the end like an Ewok-Party-Jedi-Ghost to give Ray a big "You saved everyone" head nod.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

A gentle, quiet bump because i'm not sure if archives is still eating threads or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The Archivevile has been switched off, but it's still buggered, and until it's fixed nothing goes into the lparchive.

• Locked thread