Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
This beta is exactly what I was waiting for. The game feels so awesome now even if there are optimisation issues. My gtx970 beats it mostly I to submission but there are frame rate issues if I stay in the same race for a long time, and if I use object repulsificator with lots of physics objects nearby it absolutely crawls. I will get in on the steam group and play some MP tomorrow, wanna smash some goons up. Also protip for Fox N Hounds vs AI - find a kangaroo on command and hide on top of something. I like all the game modes, though the crash fest destruction derby one is frustrating in certain maps (industrial core map with the big crusher :argh: )

Another thing, anyone know if there is rhyme or reason to how/where/when upgrade tokens spawn? Sometimes I won't see any despite searching, one time on Dusty Trails I found 6 in one race.

Game is awesome, totally glad I made a kickstarter account for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I had 8 smelly bushes before I even knew what they were. It was just like "hey shiny thing!" They have a similar shiny effect to the upgrade tokens except it's red/purple instead of green, so they're pretty easy to spot. Some of them are a right bastard to get to though. Had to use kangaroo pickups for one of them.

E:

Stentorian Hoot posted:

I think Nobby said the tokens spawn based off what chapter you're in and how many tokens you already have. If you're running low it will spawn them like crazy.

Best bit of information ever. Used up all my tokens before a race on chapter 9, found 12 tokens in on race.

So I guess the more tokens you use, the more you get. No reason at all to save them up.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 16, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Peds Shown on Map does exist! Found one on the ice level, on the broken ice at the very south of the map where the penguins are.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Anyone figured out what options have the biggest hit on performance yet? I could run farcry 4 on high, but this I can barely run on low it seems

Honestly I think it's the physics which have the biggest impact and you can't really tweak that.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I keep forgetting to ask, does anyone else have issues with remapped keys not being saved when you exit the game? Every time I start the game I have the change the controls back.

E: I did a thing -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iveek6tVvnU

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 17, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah there's a reason the video starts there :v:

Also, I just wrecked the Subpressor legit using Towmeister and a shitload of powerups, and it didn't unlock :(

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Know what car has hilarious handling? Siamese Dream. I was all ready to strap into this loving rocket car with no steerability whatsoever and make an intimate acquaintance with whatever was in a direct straight line from the starting line, but actually it also has poo poo all for grip and you can just use the power to steer it in hilarious huge drifts which is totally awesome. And it goes like poo poo off a shovel to boot. Way more controllable than I envisaged.

The Rocket car with literally no steerability is actually Vlad's Annihilator. gently caress that thing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

IUG posted:

I don't think they were even built for that. I went head-on with that BttF looking car in the first level (I'm still not making any money to get off this map), and I explode, he drives on like he hit a speed bump. I'm spending all my money on me being wasted by backing up into a building, and it takes me 5 minutes to destroy Val.

Best tip I can give for money making in Classic Carma maps is: Completely ignore the AI at the start of the race. Go murder some peds and pick up some powerups and collect upgrade tokens and then go back to the AIs once theyre spread out and not bunched up in the same area. Makes it easier to kill them one by one and you'll have a bunch of decent gear to do it with. The AIs will never ever win the race in Classic Carma so you're only limited by your timer, which fills nicely enough from peds and yellow pickups.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

In one of the Magnuchem races there is a pinball mode right next to an invulnerability in an indoor area. I wrecked 3 AIs without touching the controls :v:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nameless Dread posted:

What else are they planning on doing between now and release? It's been worth my $30, now if only they would make a new Road Rash i could really feel like a kid again.

You are looking for Road Redemption. (Also early access)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Well, I beat all the races, unlocked all the cars. The CU:NT is hilariously bad to drive. I can imagine an MP match with only those would be hilarious.

The Subpressor isnt actually that hard to beat. I had to wreck the drat thing 3 times to unlock it, because the first two times I had already stolen a car that race and you can only unlock one car at once :argh: Strategic use of Opponent Repulsificatior, Slaughter Mortar and Anvil Launcher make it a lot easier. If you can pick off it's wheels with mortars and kinda disable it then it's a doddle.

I think what the game really needs is more locations. There's only 5 maps really, plus a couple of small arenas, and it gets a little samey, even with different routes (who actually follows the routes?)

And obviously lots of optimisation work. The game runs smoothly enough for me to begin with (i5 2500k, GTX970), but does slow down after a while once there's a lot of destruction on the map.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 18, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Caddy fat cat has an incredibly strong chassis, it takes hits like a loving champ and doesn't explode. Similar to Towmeister and Plow in that respect. Makes Otis an utter oval office in checkpoint or ped game modes.

Crazor is the best car for MP I think by a long shot. It's fast and strong as hell with it, and has pretty stable handling too. I did see one crazy brave bastard bring an annihilator into an MP match. He didn't make it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

What's the actual deal with selecting a car in multiplayer? In the last multiplayer game I played, I backed out of career mode with the Cleaver selected and then went into multiplayer. The server had "player's choice" selected, but when I went into the server it had me set to the default Eagle. I was even playing Die Anna, and it didn't default me to the Hawk.

Car selecting at least seemed to kinda work before, now it doesn't seem to work at all, at least for me. Am I missing something?

Far as I can tell MP car selection is saved and dealt with seperately from Career selection. (There are cars in career you're not allowed to use in MP - cop cars) In the MP Lobby click your car and then use the left and right arrows to select another car. Once you have the car you want you can accept the change and then a customise option will appear in the bottom menu if you want to change skins.

The driver you choose has no bearing on what car you drive, just the driver model that gets thrown out and the picture in your Profile.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah they've acknowledged the UI for car choice/customisation in MP needs work. Not sure how it works with a controller, probably move the left stick then hit A to select then probably bumpers or triggers to scroll through the cars same way you scroll the events in each chapter in career.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

To be fair in Carmageddon you're less likely to crash due to driver error and more because some other oval office unleashed an Opponent Repulsificator at the wrong moment.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Got Slaughter Mortar'd by Pitbull, A+ would again.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Also put Free Recovery Vouchers on there. 2000 for 5 vouchers or 2000 per normal recovery... no brainer.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I think my PIS is Kangaroo, Anvil, Reccovery and something random. I don't use it much, mostly for getting around the levels as opposed to actual combat and stuff.

Speaking of getting around the maps does anyone know how the Smelly Bushes are laid out? Is it literally one per level?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Is kinda of hilarious that even on the trailer, the FPS drops are insane. I know they still have 5 weeks but they haven't put much effort on optimization yet and the game while it's fun, looks really dated for the amount of horsepower needed.

Well that makes sense since, by definition, if they haven't done much optimisation yet the trailer was recorded on unoptimised code.

Also with regard to looks, I'm convinced that the game isn't bottlenecked by rendering polys or effects, but rather gets boned heavily by the physics. It runs find until you start smacking into stuff and throwing things around, and then it starts to slow down a lot. If they can optimise that, the whole thing should run a hell of a lot smoother. Then any other rendering optimisations they can make will be icing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Ball Cupper posted:

Greetings. I really enjoy this latest Carmageddon game, despite the performance issues. What are your best moments? I like the part when you drift into the stadium and brutally injure dozens of American football players, it's a real fun moment of the game.

What about you??

In an MP match on Maim Street with my friend, he's chasing me down with Mortars or something. I get to a hill and stop dead just past the lip. He comes rocketing along and flies over the top of me. I hit him with a Repulsificator from underneath and he goes flying sky high and out of the map. :frogc00l:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Disgusting Coward posted:

Do you think any meaningful improvements to the game will be made between now and release?

As TheCoach tried to explain... those meaningful improvements have been being made since way before the release announcement. The Beta, while it has recieved as couple of desperaately needed bugfix patches, is not the most up to date version of the code, probably by a long long way. So yes, I expect there to be many many meaningful improvements to the finished product over the beta.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

program666 posted:

I would make videos about me smashing pedestrians in creative ways (like pushing a pedestrian off the top of a building, then slowly going after it with my car, the car would flip and I would crush the just fallen pedestrian with the top of my car) and I would show them to my cousin, and he would laugh and laugh. I love carma, I just waiting for it to be stable.

I think this is relevant here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iveek6tVvnU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Played the beta update, can report massively increased performance on higher settings than I had it at before. Runs more like I'd expect on a GTX970 now. Still a tiny bit of slowdown when there's lots of physics action but otherwise consistently smooth.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Stentorian Hoot posted:

I hope they add in tracked vehicles at some point. In a video they mentioned they had to cut them for time.

I think in one of the livestreams they said they'd try to work on tracked vehicles as a free update after release.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I just wish there was a way to wipe your progress and start over. I finished the career while it was still in EA, and I'd like to go back and replay the finished product.

Edit: Holy crap I booted it up anyway just to see and now there are save slots so I can start a new game! Gonna get my Carma on.

2nd edit: Holy poo poo this game looks way better now. The new car models are awesome. Still kinda slippery handling though. Still, this happened -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAzYVOMD8ck

Last kill of the game. :v:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Good video, thumbs up.

• Locked thread