Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

This video makes me realize I'm not a serious musician as I simply cannot play guitar in crab stance much less jumping around in crab stance...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bolange posted:

This video makes me realize I'm not a serious musician as I simply cannot play guitar in crab stance much less jumping around in crab stance...

Sorry you're not a winner.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6aGkV4BJY

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its just a dubstep drop short of perfection.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Anthony Fantano says it's trap influenced

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

After looking through the OPs of the Guitar, Bass, Home Recording threads, I realized that my friends and I don't know poo poo.

Serious talk here. A lot of my friends who I play music with (sometimes on stage) can play notes and chords but have no real idea about gear. Many times, it comes to me to set up the cables and poo poo, fix the knobs that were turned since last jam, and I realized that I've been doing a lot without knowing a whole lot of what I'm doing aside from rote setup. Now, I know enough to know that I don't know things well enough to explain to my friends/bandmates how things work. They've been so content to just play notes for so long that they never bothered to learn about these things before. Honestly, me, too. I think I'm also bad at explaining things that I do know. So this is sort of a plea for help and information. Can anybody point me to a article on, or tell me about, babby's first band equipment/setup, if only to explain to bandmates how to plug in a PA, how guitar tone works, why do you point a singer's mic that way, how and when to use a DI, and stuff like that. Maybe other things like contacting a venue about your band's setup to let them know what you're bringing to let them prepare for your band? I know it's fairly vague, and I'll admit, it's probably for my benefit, too, but I feel like there are lots of questions there that aren't asked out of embarrassment, and honestly, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

-PAs, how do they work? Powered mixers, unpowered, "combo?" PAs that look like boxes? How do you set speakers AND monitors up to not get feedback? When do you use the pad feature on channels? When and why should you plug the bass into the PA instead of his own dedicated amp?
-Direct Inputs. When, why, and how to use them? What is the difference between cheap and expensive ones?
-Guitar amps. Tube watts vs SS watts? If my guitarist wants a chugga chugga power chord sound, or a meedly meedly solo sound, how should he change his tone (B-M-T) settings in general? Also, pick position and pickup settings?
-Generally, what is line level, instrument level, hi-z, lo-z?
-Personally, how do you set up a practice space where everyone can hear themselves? Is this a personal thing? (I mean, I pretty much know it is, but I'd like to hear anyway.)
-When playing out, when is it polite to call the venue and see what their house setup is, or if they even have one?
-Seriously, anything else you've learned in your journeys from know-nothing garage band to playing-festivals rock stars. Because I'd like to move on from the first.

So basically an odd, open-ended question. I know there's lots of info out on the web, but I also know that goons are more knowledgeable than many people out there. I've heard what goons have made. I know there's a lot of knowledge to spare. Judge me all you want for asking these simple questions, I just don't know as much as the SA collective. Please understand I'm no more comfortable asking about this than you are thinking "is this guy an idiot?" If anything, maybe someone else will be spared the embarrassment of asking a question like this?

TL;DR: I don't know what I don't know about band sound equipment, and I don't know what online things are true. Can goons tell me the basics and not-so-basics about band sound setup?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Rotten Cookies posted:

TL;DR: I don't know what I don't know about band sound equipment, and I don't know what online things are true. Can goons tell me the basics and not-so-basics about band sound setup?

I'd really like to recommend to you the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook, linked down below. It will answer nearly everything, is well indexed, and goes about as shallow or as deeply as you need to go for everything live and recording oriented, save for not quite so much about things like DAWs. But for in-depth details of setting up a PA system with maximum volume and minimum feedback, or recording with minimal noise, or setting up on-stage monitors? Oh yes. It's got the practical theory, it's got the math, it's got how stuff works. And if you don't want to, you don't have to read it cover to cover, you can just look up the bits you need and flip around a little bit to fill in more detail. Hope this was helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
"Why Your Band Should Jump Off A Bridge"
By Joseph Grodski, Engineer

The Drummer
The bloke who rode the short bus to school. Thinks he's Animal from The Muppet Show, only in real life he's an ADD moron. Bend down to adjust the snare mic and he gives it a good *whack*... right in your God drat ear. Then he looks at you like, "What, brosef?". Idiot. It's like he's off in his own little crack-head world, just smashing the drums like an chimp throwing a tantrum. Can't play to a click, can't even tie his own shoes. NOTHING is loud enough for his tinnitus-torn ears. You'll be lucky if he doesn't pull out a beer and spill it all over the drum room, including himself. Yell in his face and he can't even hear you. No wonder Dad kicked you out of the family garage, you lanky-armed degenerate. Also, ever hear of deodorant? Sweet Jesus, you reek of poo poo.

The Bassist
Born and raised a mute. Usually just nods or shrugs, probably doesn't know the difference between the two gestures. Plays a full song completely off rhythm, and when you ask if he can hear himself in the headphones, he simply shrugs. Then the band looks at YOU like it's your fault. Not my fault if he mother drank a quart of gin every night when she was pregnant. Not my fault no one trained him to speak full sentences. My cat meows with more coherency then this clown. Who cares, nobody can hear the bass on your lovely "post-metal" album anyway. You might as well just unplug it from the amp and stare at the floor. It would make no difference to anyone. Hell, just go home and give up.

The Guitarist
The mediator, or as I would simply put it, the obnoxious douche. Thinks he's the glue that holds the band together. In reality, everyone thinks your a pathetic prick. You need to realize your a dime a dozen, because everyone and their grandmother plays guitar now and could replace you in a millisecond. Probably do a better job as well. My little niece plays better solos than you. No amount of pedal trains will help mask your lack of talent, you insufferable twit. First your monitors are too loud, then too quiet, then too... ugh. Why can't you just keep your mouth shut? Oh yeah, it's because you wish you were the singer. We all know... it's painfully obvious. In fact it's the embarrassing elephant in the room. Just quit now, and maybe salvage what's left of your "career" into some ambiguous cross genre side-project that no one will ever listen to, ever. Ever.

The Keyboardist
Seems tolerable.. till he opens his fat mouth. Then suddenly transforms into an intolerable neck-bearded sloth. Quite the piece of work, this guy actually gets personal: "Gee, the other studio we usually goes to uses a Neve console". Or perhaps my favorite, "Why would you place your bass-trap *there*?". Christ almighty, why has someone not dropped a house on this troll yet? How is it you still have all your teeth?? So you went to a recording arts college, congrats on a piece of paper that will get you nowhere. Welcome to Walmart. Your the reason why abortion exists, you Trent Reznor wanna-be hack. That synth your playing would sound alot better if you learned to program it, too. Nice trench coat, asshat. I hope you fall down a sewer and are eaten by slugs. No one gives a poo poo how many synths you have at home. in fact, GO HOME. The only thing we care about is what VST plug-in can replace your nerdy rear end.

The Singer
The holy grail of rear end in a top hat. I almost don't think I need to explain this delusional sack. Has half-an ounce of talent, yet thinks he's Gods gift to the universe. Truth is, the whole world hates you. Your own mother hates you. Your a regret. You are beyond salvageable as a functional member of society. You make Xerces from 300 seem like a down-to-earth humble Joe. Your singing is mediocre at best. Your range is crap. Your talent is a 6 out of 10 and yet somehow you think we should bow to you when you walk in the room. How about you fall on a pair of scissors? In a perfect world, your face would be burned like Freddy so people could see what you really look like. Take off that mask. Christ, I feel bad for your girlfriend. Just sitting there in the back of the control room, wondering how long your lovely relationship must endure these sessions. Sometimes, I'm tempted to blast white-noise into your headphones as loud as I can, in the hopes that it will deafen you, leaving you no other alternative than slow suicide. Because what will the world do without your "special gift"? In the mean time all we can do is pray your vocal chords tear and you spend the rest of your life in a cardboard box.

Honorable Mentions:

The Manager
Assuming anyone would actually call you a "manager", you pathetic leech. All you are is the bassists brother-in-law. You offer nothing other than riding on coat-tails of the non-talented. So you DJ'd for a year and now your an accountant. Good for you, what do you want, a medal? You might actually be tolerable if you just sat at the back of the control room and shut your rear end. But no, you think your also a world-famous produce and mixing engineer? Your a useless thing. Nothing more. Living with a made up title and non-paying hobby-job. Why do you even bother? Why not learn to play the spoons or press play on a iPod? Seriously why are you here? GO. AWAY. The band doesn't give a poo poo about you and neither does anyone else in the building. You mine as well be a ghost, an apparition that just floats around the room trying hard to look important and have something to say. It's like your not even there, you parasite.

The Guitarists Buddy
Who the gently caress are you, and why are you here? I don't know who you are, and whatever intern let you in is fired at the end of this session. No you can't bring beer in here. NO, you sure as hell can't "help out". Jesus, your like a stain on an already dirty pair of underwear. Drop DEAD, you skin tag.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Ha, I played with a drummer who actually has a tattoo of Animal. Yes, he was an idiot.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Agrinja posted:

I'd really like to recommend to you the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook, linked down below. It will answer nearly everything, is well indexed, and goes about as shallow or as deeply as you need to go for everything live and recording oriented, save for not quite so much about things like DAWs. But for in-depth details of setting up a PA system with maximum volume and minimum feedback, or recording with minimal noise, or setting up on-stage monitors? Oh yes. It's got the practical theory, it's got the math, it's got how stuff works. And if you don't want to, you don't have to read it cover to cover, you can just look up the bits you need and flip around a little bit to fill in more detail. Hope this was helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

This sounds precisely like what I need! Thanks a poo poo ton!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Man it is hard being so loving cool and good at poo poo, for real y'all, anyone else face this problem constantly? Like, I can play guitar, so obviously I am a BADASS motherfucking bassist, too, I guess it's just a curse. Got me a Peavey Rage II with some pickups made by Artec and man I am like fuckin god on that thing I just BOOMBWOWBOMMOBWOMBOWWOWBMM. Anyone else encounter this in their musicianship? It's a hell of a thing. Hard to be this loving clean.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
doesn't matter how well you play, just put a bunch efx on and look confident.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Serious musician talk itt, shoot me your address via email man I lost the god damned box that the pups came in and I cannot divine your location to send something neat back (we pros who are fresh as all gently caress like to say "pups" just a tip to any aspiring excellentists, everyone in the entire world who is cool says "pups" when talking about pickups, so you should try that).

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Effects are for scrubs who cant play.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Playing without effects is for people that just want to spend time playing their instrument instead of farting around with electronics.

I spent like two hours yesterday deciding if an octave multiplier should go before or after a fuzz, finally decided on compressor > tube screamer > octave multiplier > rat, then played the riff from "No Time Left For You" for like 20 minutes

Also, agreeing with Agreed about pups, the coolest thing is a pickup truck with a litter of pups in the back, you get that rumbling V8 TONE with a bit of squeal, that's just how I roll

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

massive spider posted:

Effects are for scrubs who cant play.

I CANT HEAR YOU I AM IN A DARK CAVE OF REVERB.

Agreed - address sent.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Do other serious musicians hate waiting for musical things in the mail like I do?

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
It's been so long since I've made anything, can anyone please recommend me something expensive to buy that will turn me into a good musician?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Behold! A Elk! posted:

It's been so long since I've made anything, can anyone please recommend me something expensive to buy that will turn me into a good musician?

A big bag of :420:

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

RandomCheese posted:

A big bag of :420:

Agreed, but also earmark some funds for Buchla.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
I know more scales than any of you assholes. Go home noobs.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

cactuscarpet posted:

I know more scales than any of you assholes. Go home noobs.

only need two scales. me scaling you in the face and you scaling the floor.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I have it on good authority that the only scale cactuscarpet can use is the one in his bathroom. :colbert:

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
why would anyone play any solo that wasn't in pentatonic minor anyway. everyone knows it's the best one if u wanna rock.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Behold! A Elk! posted:

why would anyone play any solo

fixed.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

anyone who plays any other notes than C (the ultimate note) is a pompous wanker

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I can't solo because I'm so good the guitar will burst into flames if I do, I'm just that hot.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
I come up with chord progressions by rolling a d6 to determine number of chords, then pull that many notes out of a hat. gently caress theory.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

wunderdog posted:

I come up with chord progressions by rolling a d6 to determine number of chords, then pull that many notes out of a hat. gently caress theory.

Real musicians use a d12 :smug:

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Rotten Cookies posted:

Real musicians use a d12 :smug:

My wife stole my D&D dice, so I had to raid the monopoly kit. :colbert:

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

wunderdog posted:

http://youtu.be/nu1u5uBe9So

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I find when composing it's best not to limit yourself so much. Don't stick to just 4-6 different kind of notes; try all 11 and see what you can come up with. It's creativity like that that makes the difference between a music hero and a music ZERO.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

This sounds like the soundtrack to an early Sylvester & Tweety cartoon when the cat's being all sneaky and poo poo.

http://youtubedoubler.com/crS1

Mute sylvester and tweety and crank that Pierre. :dance:

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

How does one cordially tell an acquaintance what amounts to "thanks but no thanks, stop begging for money?"

I have a guy messaging me over and over on Facebook asking me to back his indiegogo scheme to crowd fund $2000 to record his hip hop album. $1 to get a thank you phone call, $10 gets you a download and a phone call. This might come off arrogant but my opinion is that if you can't fund a recording and release by playing shows your talents are either not wanted or you're playing the wrong market (one guess which of these this guy falls under).

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Doomy posted:

This might come off arrogant but my opinion is that if you can't fund a recording and release by playing shows your talents are either not wanted or you're playing the wrong market (one guess which of these this guy falls under).
Rose Windows were signed on to Sub-Pop on the strength of their self-funded debut album, the final $2K of which were crowd-sourced.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

You shouldn't have to play shows to be "worthy" but just tell the dude no or ignore it. You're not obligated to give money to anyone.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Hi guys, I'm trashy Craigslist DJ known as "DJ Mikey P" I'm a combination of every minority stereotype as well as fat-gut, unshaven, white trash, all at once. I'm the Freddy Krueger to your son or daughter's worst nightmare. A sweet 16 at the American Legion featuring a 2nd hand PT Cruiser with a bow on top.

Everything I play either misses the 14-19 demo by 5 or 6 years or is simply "school dance" music. Kids still listen to Guttermouth, right? No? Ok, I'll hit em with some One Direction. I don't have the selfie song or Animals, but if you want, you can plug your iPhone into this cord and I'll play it for you, while I email myself all the pictures in your photo library.

Since it's a sweet 16, I assume I'll have to announce when it's time to open presents, play pin the tail on the donkey, all that jazz. I'll be sure to make horribly awkward/borderline offensive comments about how "pretty" your daughter is as I help myself to some cake and chew in between sentences.

Be sure to check out the MySpace page my nephew set up for me! If you wanna book me again, you can find my personal info on the PowerPoint slide that's been displaying on the overhead projector all afternoon or email me at deejaymikeyp84321@yahoo.com

cname fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 28, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
thinking about a "no gods no master volume" shirt for the gearhead/doomtard dudes.

I think I am sitting on a gold mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I'm going to get a lot of poo poo for this, but I roll my eyes whenever I see a rig that cost more than $350 (+/-$50) being used by anyone who isn't touring 6+ weeks a year or seriously working a dreaded wedding/corporate circuit. Sure, it isn't my place to tell people how to spend their money, but every time I see a bar band that play 6-8 shows per year with Orange fullstacks, I make sure to head the opposite direction (or I risk extreme boredom). Spend your money on recording and promotion. I was in a three piece that toured, and I think our equipment collectively cost about $1000. Many of my friends have been in similar positions.

Of course, I'm not so dumb as to slander everyone. But my anecdotal evidence fits my world view, which clearly identifies me as a typical superstitious musician.

• Locked thread