Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If someone (a mediocore guitarist in my poo poo band) decides a loving Dual Rec is a good investment, who am I to tell them they're retarded? In his words, "I'll never need another head, man."

I am currently a drummer so I know the pain of gear price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

If someone (a mediocore guitarist in my poo poo band) decides a loving Dual Rec is a good investment, who am I to tell them they're retarded? In his words, "I'll never need another head, man."

I bought a 6505 head and a Orange cab when I was in band, haven't touched them since we quit.
The cab stays but the head is absolutely useless for anyhing other than loving metal, I'm thinking of selling it and getting an Eleven rack to a) get some use out of it b) to post about it and feel the rage.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Don't worry, I also think it's retarded. I'd kill a dude for an Orange anything, but realistically I know it's way too large and ridiculous for anything I'll ever need.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bread Dragon posted:

I'm going to get a lot of poo poo for this, but I roll my eyes whenever I see a rig that cost more than $350 (+/-$50) being used by anyone who isn't touring 6+ weeks a year or seriously working a dreaded wedding/corporate circuit. Sure, it isn't my place to tell people how to spend their money, but every time I see a bar band that play 6-8 shows per year with Orange fullstacks, I make sure to head the opposite direction (or I risk extreme boredom). Spend your money on recording and promotion. I was in a three piece that toured, and I think our equipment collectively cost about $1000. Many of my friends have been in similar positions.

Of course, I'm not so dumb as to slander everyone. But my anecdotal evidence fits my world view, which clearly identifies me as a typical superstitious musician.

Yes, but what's the point of recording if your musical equipment gives you a poo poo sound?

The benefit of musical equipment (recording or otherwise) is a game of diminishing returns (at a hugely accelerated rate!) but I would argue that there's no point whatsoever in trying to record a Squier Strat plugged into some piece of crap, $100 practice amp.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Since this somehow turned into actually serious musician to musician discussion, who cares what other people do? If they're hacking your paypal then yeah man totally with you that poo poo has got to stop like yesterday! Otherwise, pfffft

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah laying down $1k+ on a bedroom amp? Crazy!

/spends 60% of income on drugs

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
sounding decent < thinking you sound loving sick.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Million Ghosts posted:

I am currently a drummer so I know the pain of gear price.

I'm so happy I got the 20watt JetCity amp for this reason alone. It can do dual purpose practice and band nights without needing to make my ears bleed in either situation.

I did that exact "never need another amp" thing in my teenage years that was some 100watt SS Fender amp. It was so shrill and the volume had to float between 1.0 and 1.2 not to make me deaf. If only I had ML to coach me on gear back then :allears:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
blah blah blah if you're pushing less than 100 watts through less than 12 speakers - really what are you doing with your life?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you're playing cheap poo poo AND sound like poo poo I'm going to think you're an amateur.

If you're playing really expensive gear and sound like poo poo I'm going to think you're a hack.

But if you sound awesome I couldn't give a single gently caress what you're playing. I'm assuming someone who sounds good has a reason for playing what they're playing, whether it's a $150 Squier, a vintage Fender or a nine-string custom instrument.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

or a nine-string custom instrument.

I'll call poo poo on this. You already know it's going to sound terrible before they even play :rimshot:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
after 6 months of practicing and playing our first show with unsolicited compliments afterwards (not just a "good job man" pat on the back but constructive criticisms and stuff), my standalone vocalist says she wants to stray away from the melodic parts and focus on faster parts that aren't as "boring".

how do I explain to her that she is not playing guitar and "write faster stuff" is a total slap in the face?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
There's got to be a million bands that dream of having a vocalist that wants them to play faster, less melodic stuff. See if your local pound can re-home her with one of them.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Ferrous Wheel posted:

There's got to be a million bands that dream of having a vocalist that wants them to play faster, less melodic stuff. See if your local pound can re-home her with one of them.

I wish. trying to hint real hard basically wrote "hey we are doing what you don't like so why are you here" "oh I hate it at first but now I am starting to like it

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
why is that a slap in the face though? even if you don't agree it's not an unreasonable opinion.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Synonamess Botch posted:

why is that a slap in the face though? even if you don't agree it's not an unreasonable opinion.

well she joined the band late and I literally said if I am going to play it's going to be mostly slow and weird and sound like this band (giant). and that's exactly what we did/doing.

she basically wants us to be a dc hardcore band. basically she wants us to do exactly what we aren't trying to do

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
If you want to be really charitable you could reassess your original position on fast lines and see if you feel okay bringing a bit more of that in without completely abandoning your original vision. Maybe in limited doses it could add variety to your sound and present some fun challenges to you as a player.

Alternatively, if you don't think any of your songs would be made more interesting that way, tell her that. If she thinks the DC hardcore thing is with doing she should be able to justify it on an individual song level. If she wants to write some songs with faster bits then maybe you'll feel like giving her more creative control of those songs.

Really though, you're within your rights to put your foot down here. Especially if you or the whole group can't play the fast stuff cleanly. Keeping a band together is hard though, and I've found that a willingness to do my best to execute ideas I don't especially like makes it much easier. But it only works if you can arrive at a solution you don't completely hate.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Regarding vocalists, I think it all boils down to the whole band working as one. I just went through a major line-up change when my bassist dropped out completely and my drummer needed to take a sabbatical for health reasons. We were a 3 piece, so I'm the only original member now. At first I was reluctant with their suggestions, but working with new musicians has really helped the crap I wrote grow in to some cooler sounding stuff. I also brought in a female backup vocalist who we're working with because she wants to sing more. Our roles are reversed, however; I play fast as hell and she wants slower. Now with that our set has some nice variety to it. Maybe you guys could do something a little closer to what she wants, but keep it within your sound and see what happens. Otherwise, kick her out.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

wunderdog posted:

Regarding vocalists, I think it all boils down to the whole band working as one. I just went through a major line-up change when my bassist dropped out completely and my drummer needed to take a sabbatical for health reasons. We were a 3 piece, so I'm the only original member now. At first I was reluctant with their suggestions, but working with new musicians has really helped the crap I wrote grow in to some cooler sounding stuff. I also brought in a female backup vocalist who we're working with because she wants to sing more. Our roles are reversed, however; I play fast as hell and she wants slower. Now with that our set has some nice variety to it. Maybe you guys could do something a little closer to what she wants, but keep it within your sound and see what happens. Otherwise, kick her out.

you dudes are basically saying what I said to her. I told her I would try to incorporate faster parts if they fit but I am not going to force it.

I am by no means trying to stifle her input but when it is just, "play faster!" it doesn't really contribute it's more of just a preference. if she said, for instance, "this part would sound better if it was faster" I would definitely try it, and open it up for others to suggest.

but when people come up to me unsolicited after the show and tell me it reminded them of the band I was trying to emulate(see: ripoff) then I feel like I am doing okay

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I should jump into a hardcore band sometime.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I find that I write my best stuff when I'm on the toilet or in the shower. Bathroom riffs forever.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NarkyBark posted:

I find that I write my best stuff when I'm on the toilet or in the shower. Bathroom riffs forever.

Due to the magic of portable technology I've made some of my better beats while making GBS threads.

poo poo beats forever

edit: if you think about it, it's the ultimate way to make music: your body and spirit are united in an effort to force something out of your being

yin and yang

poo poo and art

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 7, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Following your yin/yang theory, if you wanna write something down n' dirty, you gotta shower while doing it?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Nope, still making GBS threads. Pay attention.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

and sometimes... the art is poo poo and the poo poo looks more like a piece of art????

:woah:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 8, 2014

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Every riff that I ever came up with in the shower ended up being a riff that some other band has used.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Take baths instead.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Hammer Floyd posted:

Every riff that I ever came up with ended up being a riff that some other band has used.

Fixed this to describe me.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
I tune up a quarter step so that I know that nobody uses the same notes that i use

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

What I picture when I think of PRS fanatics, showed up in my local CL :|

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Due to the magic of portable technology I've made some of my better beats while making GBS threads.

poo poo beats forever

edit: if you think about it, it's the ultimate way to make music: your body and spirit are united in an effort to force something out of your being

yin and yang

poo poo and art

Korg gadget has become my go to mobile DAW and you can bet your rear end many of my beats are now created on the shitter or in the bathtub.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

wunderdog posted:

Fixed this to describe me.

Yeah...

...me too :(

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
This is the greatest musician in Portland:

Craigslist posted:

Well I just wanted to say goodbye. You don't ever have to worry bout me posting anything on here anymore. I'm so disgusted. I didn't choose being born into a doctors therapist family who moved me all around Houston tx till I was 21. That included several yrs in rehab just for drinking and smoking basically. I then hit the Oregon family trail and have been here ever since. I've found the people here to be introverted, if your not in school or working a job where you are around a large amount of people then you never meet anybody. I've been a guitar player since I was 12. I didn't have any musicians in my immediate family so I learned kind of a bad habit of jamming 10 times as much as learning covers and progressions. I always played and sang sometimes and by 22 or 23 started doing nothing but playin my guitar while singing started experimenting with songwriting. By 26-27 I completely switched to my main thing being standing up and singing guitarless. Heavily reinfluenced by alice n chains I wanted to star a band more than ever even though I was 5yrs to a decade past the normal luanching time. It wasn't the first time I tried to start a band. I had a group of friends I jammed with in tx all the time, as a teenager I was known as the up coming guitar player in Taylor high school. We had a conservative environment that didn't really have a rock or metal scene all though one of my friends I grew up with went on to be successful as a drummer. The only other acquaintance I had that succeeded as a musician in my home town was an American idol winner. There were maybe 2 bands in the entire school that weren't a church thing. Moving back to being 26 in oregon I tried to start a band with some dude named scary face who enjoyed telling me about his music industry contact SNAKE. He was the most laid back guy til one night he completely wigged out over nothin, I forgave him and started getting serious about staring are collaboration but his older women freInd never let him go out, he lived with her and he had to obey her. So I teased them and they got offended and that was that. Ever since I moved out here I'd always put post on the billboards at guitar center saying guitarist available, I was always trying different genres even tried out a few bands at bongo fury. I've honestly tried out for about 10 bands out here maybe 15 or 20 and I came back a few times with some. The closest thing to a fit I had was with the vagines who were younger accept for the guitar player that only lasted about 3 months or so b 4 I got sick of the commute for one. Right about that time b4 my 28th birthday I met a group of guys and gals that were kind of in to the otep 5 finger death punch thing. They are all aggressive alcoholics that hate drugs? And really don't stray from there own. I forgive them but I wish I had never met them. One of there buddies even has a project where the frontman listed I'm sure coincidently a bunch of bands I'm into. I even heard his big thing still is trying to sing in the style of layne stayley. He like most people don't excellent at that like I do. But let's face we want are music for ourselves right, nothing beats the attention. I also had the displeasure of knowing a couple of there elder experienced musicians who to this day will tell u I have no potential and a bunch jealous garbage like that. If they get cornered about my singing being pretty creative then they say something like oh ya Matt has to be high. What a conservative town this can be for a west coast major city. There are a lot of bands here but man I'm surprised. One thing they did love back in Houston was that if somebody was on mushrooms and doing something beautiful wild and crazy you get so made fun of if u start acting like a wimp and saying its foolish. I mean even if there were some truth to me preferring to be high b4 a big recording, which for me would be me recording at home by myself. I mean what is such a big deal about eating 2 gr of something that grows in the ground, it's basically non addictive. The truth is when you are on to something and it's beautiful and rare people are always going to get critical or pessimistic. I was hoping those guys would line me up with a descent drummer or help me find a good band to fit into. Nope it's always me me me with a lot of u musicians. I'm so through. I tried one more time with the blues scene it's jealous blocking there also. I have money probs now and probs. my guitar has a buzzing sound I just tried to lower the action no beuno. That Takimine has such a big bow in the neck it's not funny. I think I restrung the strings to tightly. I can play by myself but I wanted to not start out all by myself. Besides it's not what I want to do right now. I started getting so good, I wouldn't be surprised if I easily had the most amazing voice in portland. But people can't handle it. Now after being ignored for so long I've tried to explain the problem I've made all types of analogies about my music like I'm a goodwill hunting of singing. That's what people do when they've been ignored they go insane. Maybe I am delusional I've started realizing that maybe u guys are right. My rich doctors family won and taught me that musicians are selfish. I never wanted to see this reality at 32 1/2. I've decided I'm done though. Rock stars a lot of them even know who I am and suspect talent, but it's tough for them to throw me a rope because I got nothing but 10 or 15 home recordings that are low quality and have a lot of mistakes. Mistakes that would've not even existed with the help of others. I'm through now. I will never sing again, I will never play a guitar again as long as I live. I will never support or give an artist a chance to inspire me again. I will never be friends with any group of musicians nor will I ever see a live show. U guys are selfish beings. I'm so glad I never had to be stuck with you like I would've maybe if I had come from a middle class environment.
Love you keep portland boring and lame keep screaming cause that's all u can do then say I'm a wimp for it. Love Matt Whitaker

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
There are hundreds of untalented, self-imprortant singers in Portland, any of whom that could be. I've worked with several of them.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"32 1/2"? Really?

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
The best part is where he talks about how he's like a "goodwill hunting" of singing. He's the night janitor at PSU, and when nobody is around he goes into an auditorium and sings unsingable theoretical operas written up on the blackboard, until a choir teacher hears him one night and decides to take him under his wing.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
He reminds me of a singer I met that simply went by "Raven". Nice guy, but didn't know his limitations and thought he was the best thing ever. Also, if that guy talks like he types, I wouldn't hire him either. This is mainly because if we're collaborating on lyrics, I don't want to see something like " b 4 i met u" on a lyrics sheet.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tell that to Prince

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
That'd be sweet as hell if that guy actually were as awesome a vocalist as Prince and if he were actually telling the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I’m the only artist in EDM that goes and says crazy things, so it’s kind of easy to pick on me.

• Locked thread