Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
It actually was Prince, he tried out a new persona for a while and it didn't pan out apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i play drums in a pop punk band and every day makes me wish for death

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Million Ghosts posted:

i play drums and every day makes me wish for death

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

doo KA doodoo KA doo KA doodoo KA doo KA doo Killme doodoo KA please KA doodoo KA

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Another million dollar idea: Incense that smell like burning tubes.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Another million dollar idea: Incense that smell like burning tubes.

I would buy the hell out of this. My wife would not understand, but the practice space would smell like rock and roll.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Craigslist posted:

9 Piece Funk Punk band from scratch
We're forming a Funk Punk band from scratch and tying out all instruments (guitar, two slappin bass players, drummer, sax, trombone, trumpet, sampler synth keyboards and congas). If this ad sounds funky enough for you then call me. We need a free tryout spot to get started. Once we establish the team, we can discuss finances for a practice place.

All originals created by us (including you). Where The Sex Pistols meets "Pepper"ed Primus, James Brown, George Clinton and Frank Zappa.

With an oddball edge with songs about bugers, farting, wet dreams and jizzem. No sappy love songs, unless it remarks on shooting your wad into a watermelon.

If you are afraid of weirdos, or if you judge people for being differant, then it won't be a good fit. A possitive, loving and playful attitude is a must. The weirder or wilder u dress the better. We are in it for fun, so let's have a lot of it.

If you know any serious people, willing to try out, let me know.

This guy has been reposting ads for his funk punk group for, I think, over a year now. I don't think there's even a "we" involved here, I'm pretty sure it's just one guy who's desperate for someone to join his band and play his songs about "bugers" and "jizzem". It makes me so sad...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Something about quirky silly funk music enrages me to no end. Zappa rules but everything else, ewwwwww

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Mradyfist posted:

This guy has been reposting ads for his funk punk group for, I think, over a year now. I don't think there's even a "we" involved here, I'm pretty sure it's just one guy who's desperate for someone to join his band and play his songs about "bugers" and "jizzem". It makes me so sad...

thank gently caress it isn't 1993 anymore.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/muc/4597457333.html

Lordeflesh is seeking a bass player and female vocalist.

The band combines Lorde's lyrics and Godflesh-style downtuned industrial metal/post-punk/noise. We already have a guitarist and drum machine.

Female vocalist should yell, bark and groan more than sing. Slight insanity a plus.

Other musical influences: Wire, Mission of Burma, Killing Joke, power electronics.

Anyone else think this actually sounds awesome?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Man, being a musician all the time is exhausting. It's like, man, you just, you know?

Sure is tough. But when life hands you lemons, play an instrument that's quickly becoming irrelevant, I say

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Agreed posted:

Man, being a musician all the time is exhausting. It's like, man, you just, you know?

Sure is tough. But when life hands you lemons, play an instrument that's quickly becoming irrelevant, I say

Why you gotta bum people out man?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Mradyfist posted:

Why you gotta bum people out man?

Shoot man I think my heart grew three sizes just now!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i open a daw once a month and sometimes press a keyboard key, i think that means i qualify as a real musician

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Realizing my instruments only need to be relevant to me while dismissing most music as dumb kid hipster garbage is pretty much what keeps me alive. I'm only 24 but I can't wait to at least hit my 40s and be that grumpy old musician who hates everything.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

Realizing my instruments only need to be relevant to me while dismissing most music as dumb kid hipster garbage is pretty much what keeps me alive. I'm only 24 but I can't wait to at least hit my 40s and be that grumpy old musician who hates everything.

This is me too. I hate pop/top-40s and most mainstream music, because it's "mainstream garbage" but I also hate anything underground/indie/industrial because it's lovely, hipster noise.

Basically, all music is horrible and I listen to a lot of it.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
science says 8/10 times when someone calls something hipster it's because they thing they/it is cooler than them.

fight me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

cname posted:

Basically, all music is horrible

yes.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

science says 8/10 times when someone calls something hipster it's because they thing they/it is cooler than them.

fight me.

This is serious musician discussion, please remember to simplify fractions. You meant to say 4/5 times. Thank you! :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

depends on where you are. have you ever visited Berlin and seen some real fukcing hipsters

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm talking a well-off looking dude arrhythmically and anemically scraping concrete with two empty water bottles - a performance which apparently was good enough that he had bowl in front of him for coins and poo poo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I'm talking a well-off looking dude arrhythmically and anemically scraping concrete with two empty water bottles - a performance which apparently was good enough that he had bowl in front of him for coins and poo poo

So what did you think about my performance then?

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Agreed posted:

This is serious musician discussion, please remember to simplify fractions. You meant to say 4/5 times. Thank you! :)

4/5 is my favorite time signature.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Agreed posted:

Fractions are not hip so I never bothered to learn them :colbert:

nah I am sure in bigger cities they are insufferable. Down in da souf I get called a hipster by frat dudes ten years younger than me for wearing band shirts and riding a bike (NOT EVEN A FIXIE)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Agreed posted:

Fractions are not hip so I never bothered to learn them :colbert:

nah I am sure in bigger cities they are insufferable. Down in da souf I get called a hipster by frat dudes ten years younger than me for wearing band shirts and riding a bike (NOT EVEN A FIXIE)

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

fight me.

gently caress you, dude. I was in the punk scene and bashing music that was popular before it was "cool". loving hipsters took my jerrrrrrrrrb!!!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Hey, does anybody else hear that buzz?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Any Guitar Center employees ITT? I'm curious as to how things work in Guitar Center and what kind of rules you may or may not have but wish you had.

1) How long are you willing to let people play music for?
2) To what extent are you willing to let people demo the products? Have things ever amounted to an entire stage setup in the corner of the speaker section? Like full blown band practice/performance complete with keyboard, DJ and singer?
3) Are people allowed to set up camp and play for change inside the store? Or do they need to beg outside?
4) What's the longest anyone has ever played for, before you lost your poo poo and threw them out/quit/assaulted them?

Any stories would be appreciated. I feel like Guitar Center probably has just as much to offer as Wal Mart as far as it's customers are concerned.

The other day, there was a guy playing a speaker. As in; sitting on top of it like a toilet (but with his trousers up) and banging on it with his hands, through his legs. I browsed for a solid hour and he didn't stop from the time I walked in to the time I left.

I feel like mad people play at Guitar Center, looking to get discovered.

cname fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 18, 2014

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

cname posted:

I feel like mad people play at Guitar Center, looking to get discovered.

A few years ago I was with my girlfriend running errands. The Target is in the same plaza as Guitar Center. I went in to get strings or other small stuff completely forgetting it was a weekend night. My girlfriend saw the incoming trainwreck and pulled me in. I remember there being a pudgy kid who couldn't have been older than 17 playing the absolutely fastest atonal/pentatonic licks he could, stoping in the middle of a phrase and looking around to see if anybody noticed him.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

A few years ago I was with my girlfriend running errands. The Target is in the same plaza as Guitar Center. I went in to get strings or other small stuff completely forgetting it was a weekend night. My girlfriend saw the incoming trainwreck and pulled me in. I remember there being a pudgy kid who couldn't have been older than 17 playing the absolutely fastest atonal/pentatonic licks he could, stoping in the middle of a phrase and looking around to see if anybody noticed him.

Uh, you did, you discovered him dude. Time to sign him to a label, don't be a douche about it.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Mradyfist posted:

Uh, you did, you discovered him dude. Time to sign him to a label, don't be a douche about it.

I'm honestly surprised this isn't a popular scam. Spend all day walking around Guitar Center in a suit, with a brief case, looking to sign local talent.

"Thing is, last opening act bailed at the last minute, so the venue wants a $250 deposit just to be sure you'll show up to perform. Once the show is over, you'll get $500 in return, so you'll be making $250 for yourself, if you're willing to proceed."

Aspiring musicians are the most desperate, ignorant, gullible, drug-addled morons on the face of the earth. Most of which are living off their parent's income.

cname fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 19, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

cname posted:

I'm honestly surprised this isn't a popular scam. Spend all day walking around Guitar Center in a suit, with a brief case, looking to sign local talent.

"Thing is, last opening act bailed at the last minute, so the venue wants a $250 deposit just to be sure you'll show up to perform. Once the show is over, you'll get $500 in return, so you'll be making $250 for yourself, if you're willing to proceed."

Aspiring musicians are the most desperate, ignorant, gullible, drug-addled morons on the face of the earth. Most of which are living off their parent's income.

You could even rope the store in to turning a blind eye if he also adds in, "but you gotta put down that Epiphone. See that Gibson over there? That's what they want to see when you show up. I mean, three or four shows and it's paid for.."

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Nobody hears that? Bzzzz? Seriously??

heap
Jan 27, 2004

cname posted:

The other day, there was a guy playing a speaker. As in; sitting on top of it like a toilet (but with his trousers up) and banging on it with his hands, through his legs. I browsed for a solid hour and he didn't stop from the time I walked in to the time I left.
Are you sure that wasn't just a guy playing a cajon?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
There was a story on the radio here about a guy and his girlfriend going to supertramp and hearing this annoying noise ruining the show. after several complaints the security guy points out it's coming from the guy who had a metronome/tuner left in his pocket.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

cname posted:

This is called emergenza.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

massive spider posted:

This is called emergenza.

And apparently the Super Bowl http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nfl-super-bowl-rihanna-coldplay-katy-perry-20140819

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Agreed posted:

Nobody hears that? Bzzzz? Seriously??

Sorry that was my vibrator I'm using for my new post-martial industrial noise band.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sorry that was my vibrator I'm using for my new post.

Inspiration from all quarters man I am down with that 1000%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I am so freaking bummed out that living in London of all places, I can't find any non-"Serious Business" groups or people to jam with - I have tried joinmyband, Craigslist and gumtree all without luck - what next? Online cooperation?

• Locked thread