Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
This is the greatest musician in Portland:

Craigslist posted:

Well I just wanted to say goodbye. You don't ever have to worry bout me posting anything on here anymore. I'm so disgusted. I didn't choose being born into a doctors therapist family who moved me all around Houston tx till I was 21. That included several yrs in rehab just for drinking and smoking basically. I then hit the Oregon family trail and have been here ever since. I've found the people here to be introverted, if your not in school or working a job where you are around a large amount of people then you never meet anybody. I've been a guitar player since I was 12. I didn't have any musicians in my immediate family so I learned kind of a bad habit of jamming 10 times as much as learning covers and progressions. I always played and sang sometimes and by 22 or 23 started doing nothing but playin my guitar while singing started experimenting with songwriting. By 26-27 I completely switched to my main thing being standing up and singing guitarless. Heavily reinfluenced by alice n chains I wanted to star a band more than ever even though I was 5yrs to a decade past the normal luanching time. It wasn't the first time I tried to start a band. I had a group of friends I jammed with in tx all the time, as a teenager I was known as the up coming guitar player in Taylor high school. We had a conservative environment that didn't really have a rock or metal scene all though one of my friends I grew up with went on to be successful as a drummer. The only other acquaintance I had that succeeded as a musician in my home town was an American idol winner. There were maybe 2 bands in the entire school that weren't a church thing. Moving back to being 26 in oregon I tried to start a band with some dude named scary face who enjoyed telling me about his music industry contact SNAKE. He was the most laid back guy til one night he completely wigged out over nothin, I forgave him and started getting serious about staring are collaboration but his older women freInd never let him go out, he lived with her and he had to obey her. So I teased them and they got offended and that was that. Ever since I moved out here I'd always put post on the billboards at guitar center saying guitarist available, I was always trying different genres even tried out a few bands at bongo fury. I've honestly tried out for about 10 bands out here maybe 15 or 20 and I came back a few times with some. The closest thing to a fit I had was with the vagines who were younger accept for the guitar player that only lasted about 3 months or so b 4 I got sick of the commute for one. Right about that time b4 my 28th birthday I met a group of guys and gals that were kind of in to the otep 5 finger death punch thing. They are all aggressive alcoholics that hate drugs? And really don't stray from there own. I forgive them but I wish I had never met them. One of there buddies even has a project where the frontman listed I'm sure coincidently a bunch of bands I'm into. I even heard his big thing still is trying to sing in the style of layne stayley. He like most people don't excellent at that like I do. But let's face we want are music for ourselves right, nothing beats the attention. I also had the displeasure of knowing a couple of there elder experienced musicians who to this day will tell u I have no potential and a bunch jealous garbage like that. If they get cornered about my singing being pretty creative then they say something like oh ya Matt has to be high. What a conservative town this can be for a west coast major city. There are a lot of bands here but man I'm surprised. One thing they did love back in Houston was that if somebody was on mushrooms and doing something beautiful wild and crazy you get so made fun of if u start acting like a wimp and saying its foolish. I mean even if there were some truth to me preferring to be high b4 a big recording, which for me would be me recording at home by myself. I mean what is such a big deal about eating 2 gr of something that grows in the ground, it's basically non addictive. The truth is when you are on to something and it's beautiful and rare people are always going to get critical or pessimistic. I was hoping those guys would line me up with a descent drummer or help me find a good band to fit into. Nope it's always me me me with a lot of u musicians. I'm so through. I tried one more time with the blues scene it's jealous blocking there also. I have money probs now and probs. my guitar has a buzzing sound I just tried to lower the action no beuno. That Takimine has such a big bow in the neck it's not funny. I think I restrung the strings to tightly. I can play by myself but I wanted to not start out all by myself. Besides it's not what I want to do right now. I started getting so good, I wouldn't be surprised if I easily had the most amazing voice in portland. But people can't handle it. Now after being ignored for so long I've tried to explain the problem I've made all types of analogies about my music like I'm a goodwill hunting of singing. That's what people do when they've been ignored they go insane. Maybe I am delusional I've started realizing that maybe u guys are right. My rich doctors family won and taught me that musicians are selfish. I never wanted to see this reality at 32 1/2. I've decided I'm done though. Rock stars a lot of them even know who I am and suspect talent, but it's tough for them to throw me a rope because I got nothing but 10 or 15 home recordings that are low quality and have a lot of mistakes. Mistakes that would've not even existed with the help of others. I'm through now. I will never sing again, I will never play a guitar again as long as I live. I will never support or give an artist a chance to inspire me again. I will never be friends with any group of musicians nor will I ever see a live show. U guys are selfish beings. I'm so glad I never had to be stuck with you like I would've maybe if I had come from a middle class environment.
Love you keep portland boring and lame keep screaming cause that's all u can do then say I'm a wimp for it. Love Matt Whitaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

The best part is where he talks about how he's like a "goodwill hunting" of singing. He's the night janitor at PSU, and when nobody is around he goes into an auditorium and sings unsingable theoretical operas written up on the blackboard, until a choir teacher hears him one night and decides to take him under his wing.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

It actually was Prince, he tried out a new persona for a while and it didn't pan out apparently.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Craigslist posted:

9 Piece Funk Punk band from scratch
We're forming a Funk Punk band from scratch and tying out all instruments (guitar, two slappin bass players, drummer, sax, trombone, trumpet, sampler synth keyboards and congas). If this ad sounds funky enough for you then call me. We need a free tryout spot to get started. Once we establish the team, we can discuss finances for a practice place.

All originals created by us (including you). Where The Sex Pistols meets "Pepper"ed Primus, James Brown, George Clinton and Frank Zappa.

With an oddball edge with songs about bugers, farting, wet dreams and jizzem. No sappy love songs, unless it remarks on shooting your wad into a watermelon.

If you are afraid of weirdos, or if you judge people for being differant, then it won't be a good fit. A possitive, loving and playful attitude is a must. The weirder or wilder u dress the better. We are in it for fun, so let's have a lot of it.

If you know any serious people, willing to try out, let me know.

This guy has been reposting ads for his funk punk group for, I think, over a year now. I don't think there's even a "we" involved here, I'm pretty sure it's just one guy who's desperate for someone to join his band and play his songs about "bugers" and "jizzem". It makes me so sad...

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Agreed posted:

Man, being a musician all the time is exhausting. It's like, man, you just, you know?

Sure is tough. But when life hands you lemons, play an instrument that's quickly becoming irrelevant, I say

Why you gotta bum people out man?

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

A few years ago I was with my girlfriend running errands. The Target is in the same plaza as Guitar Center. I went in to get strings or other small stuff completely forgetting it was a weekend night. My girlfriend saw the incoming trainwreck and pulled me in. I remember there being a pudgy kid who couldn't have been older than 17 playing the absolutely fastest atonal/pentatonic licks he could, stoping in the middle of a phrase and looking around to see if anybody noticed him.

Uh, you did, you discovered him dude. Time to sign him to a label, don't be a douche about it.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

This is the most Portland band that ever Portlanded: https://soundcloud.com/the-sincereleys/to-have-rehearsal-081914

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

I went to Guitar Center to buy a new bass amp today, and the guy helping me described each of the amps as being more or less "girthy" than the others. I think he was coming on to me. I ended up buying the amp with medium girth.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

Too much girthiness just makes me kind of uncomfortable, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

This is now my favorite Craigslist ad: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/muc/4715110671.html

• Locked thread