Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ticket presales for this thread. Gotta sell 30 at $10 a pop, but anything you sell after that you get to keep. Should be an easy sell. There'll be lotsa other popular local posters ITT. You got 30 friends right? Easy.

THEN you get to post in this thread. What? You're good enough to post for money. You think you're so bad you'll post for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

After looking through the OPs of the Guitar, Bass, Home Recording threads, I realized that my friends and I don't know poo poo.

Serious talk here. A lot of my friends who I play music with (sometimes on stage) can play notes and chords but have no real idea about gear. Many times, it comes to me to set up the cables and poo poo, fix the knobs that were turned since last jam, and I realized that I've been doing a lot without knowing a whole lot of what I'm doing aside from rote setup. Now, I know enough to know that I don't know things well enough to explain to my friends/bandmates how things work. They've been so content to just play notes for so long that they never bothered to learn about these things before. Honestly, me, too. I think I'm also bad at explaining things that I do know. So this is sort of a plea for help and information. Can anybody point me to a article on, or tell me about, babby's first band equipment/setup, if only to explain to bandmates how to plug in a PA, how guitar tone works, why do you point a singer's mic that way, how and when to use a DI, and stuff like that. Maybe other things like contacting a venue about your band's setup to let them know what you're bringing to let them prepare for your band? I know it's fairly vague, and I'll admit, it's probably for my benefit, too, but I feel like there are lots of questions there that aren't asked out of embarrassment, and honestly, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

-PAs, how do they work? Powered mixers, unpowered, "combo?" PAs that look like boxes? How do you set speakers AND monitors up to not get feedback? When do you use the pad feature on channels? When and why should you plug the bass into the PA instead of his own dedicated amp?
-Direct Inputs. When, why, and how to use them? What is the difference between cheap and expensive ones?
-Guitar amps. Tube watts vs SS watts? If my guitarist wants a chugga chugga power chord sound, or a meedly meedly solo sound, how should he change his tone (B-M-T) settings in general? Also, pick position and pickup settings?
-Generally, what is line level, instrument level, hi-z, lo-z?
-Personally, how do you set up a practice space where everyone can hear themselves? Is this a personal thing? (I mean, I pretty much know it is, but I'd like to hear anyway.)
-When playing out, when is it polite to call the venue and see what their house setup is, or if they even have one?
-Seriously, anything else you've learned in your journeys from know-nothing garage band to playing-festivals rock stars. Because I'd like to move on from the first.

So basically an odd, open-ended question. I know there's lots of info out on the web, but I also know that goons are more knowledgeable than many people out there. I've heard what goons have made. I know there's a lot of knowledge to spare. Judge me all you want for asking these simple questions, I just don't know as much as the SA collective. Please understand I'm no more comfortable asking about this than you are thinking "is this guy an idiot?" If anything, maybe someone else will be spared the embarrassment of asking a question like this?

TL;DR: I don't know what I don't know about band sound equipment, and I don't know what online things are true. Can goons tell me the basics and not-so-basics about band sound setup?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Agrinja posted:

I'd really like to recommend to you the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook, linked down below. It will answer nearly everything, is well indexed, and goes about as shallow or as deeply as you need to go for everything live and recording oriented, save for not quite so much about things like DAWs. But for in-depth details of setting up a PA system with maximum volume and minimum feedback, or recording with minimal noise, or setting up on-stage monitors? Oh yes. It's got the practical theory, it's got the math, it's got how stuff works. And if you don't want to, you don't have to read it cover to cover, you can just look up the bits you need and flip around a little bit to fill in more detail. Hope this was helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reinforcement-Handbook-Gary-Davis/dp/0881889008/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

This sounds precisely like what I need! Thanks a poo poo ton!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

wunderdog posted:

I come up with chord progressions by rolling a d6 to determine number of chords, then pull that many notes out of a hat. gently caress theory.

Real musicians use a d12 :smug:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Following your yin/yang theory, if you wanna write something down n' dirty, you gotta shower while doing it?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

doo KA doodoo KA doo KA doodoo KA doo KA doo Killme doodoo KA please KA doodoo KA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Smash it Smash hit posted:

my girth goes to 11 :cool:

Yeah, but Chode amps tend to kill sustain. The notes just don't have the right length.

I'll give them that no matter what you put in front of them, anything you play feels tight.

• Locked thread