Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Griff Lee posted:

drat dude, I am way ahead of you.

Not gonna lie, this sax is making me lol. Not in a bad way, I was just listening to this rock song and then out of nowhere someone is wailing on a sax. I actually am stilling laughing about it because I keep imagining this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ts70UXSkM

oh man I'm laughing again now watching it

not watching youtube but guessing it's the big muscular dude from lost boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
doesn't matter how well you play, just put a bunch efx on and look confident.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

massive spider posted:

Effects are for scrubs who cant play.

I CANT HEAR YOU I AM IN A DARK CAVE OF REVERB.

Agreed - address sent.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

cactuscarpet posted:

I know more scales than any of you assholes. Go home noobs.

only need two scales. me scaling you in the face and you scaling the floor.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Behold! A Elk! posted:

why would anyone play any solo

fixed.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
thinking about a "no gods no master volume" shirt for the gearhead/doomtard dudes.

I think I am sitting on a gold mine.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
blah blah blah if you're pushing less than 100 watts through less than 12 speakers - really what are you doing with your life?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
after 6 months of practicing and playing our first show with unsolicited compliments afterwards (not just a "good job man" pat on the back but constructive criticisms and stuff), my standalone vocalist says she wants to stray away from the melodic parts and focus on faster parts that aren't as "boring".

how do I explain to her that she is not playing guitar and "write faster stuff" is a total slap in the face?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Ferrous Wheel posted:

There's got to be a million bands that dream of having a vocalist that wants them to play faster, less melodic stuff. See if your local pound can re-home her with one of them.

I wish. trying to hint real hard basically wrote "hey we are doing what you don't like so why are you here" "oh I hate it at first but now I am starting to like it

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Synonamess Botch posted:

why is that a slap in the face though? even if you don't agree it's not an unreasonable opinion.

well she joined the band late and I literally said if I am going to play it's going to be mostly slow and weird and sound like this band (giant). and that's exactly what we did/doing.

she basically wants us to be a dc hardcore band. basically she wants us to do exactly what we aren't trying to do

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

wunderdog posted:

Regarding vocalists, I think it all boils down to the whole band working as one. I just went through a major line-up change when my bassist dropped out completely and my drummer needed to take a sabbatical for health reasons. We were a 3 piece, so I'm the only original member now. At first I was reluctant with their suggestions, but working with new musicians has really helped the crap I wrote grow in to some cooler sounding stuff. I also brought in a female backup vocalist who we're working with because she wants to sing more. Our roles are reversed, however; I play fast as hell and she wants slower. Now with that our set has some nice variety to it. Maybe you guys could do something a little closer to what she wants, but keep it within your sound and see what happens. Otherwise, kick her out.

you dudes are basically saying what I said to her. I told her I would try to incorporate faster parts if they fit but I am not going to force it.

I am by no means trying to stifle her input but when it is just, "play faster!" it doesn't really contribute it's more of just a preference. if she said, for instance, "this part would sound better if it was faster" I would definitely try it, and open it up for others to suggest.

but when people come up to me unsolicited after the show and tell me it reminded them of the band I was trying to emulate(see: ripoff) then I feel like I am doing okay

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Another million dollar idea: Incense that smell like burning tubes.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
science says 8/10 times when someone calls something hipster it's because they thing they/it is cooler than them.

fight me.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Agreed posted:

This is serious musician discussion, please remember to simplify fractions. You meant to say 4/5 times. Thank you! :)

Fractions are not hip so I never bothered to learn them :colbert:

nah I am sure in bigger cities they are insufferable. Down in da souf I get called a hipster by frat dudes ten years younger than me for wearing band shirts and riding a bike (NOT EVEN A FIXIE)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Agreed posted:

This is serious musician discussion, please remember to simplify fractions. You meant to say 4/5 times. Thank you! :)

Fractions are not hip so I never bothered to learn them :colbert:

nah I am sure in bigger cities they are insufferable. Down in da souf I get called a hipster by frat dudes ten years younger than me for wearing band shirts and riding a bike (NOT EVEN A FIXIE)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mradyfist posted:

I went to Guitar Center to buy a new bass amp today, and the guy helping me described each of the amps as being more or less "girthy" than the others. I think he was coming on to me. I ended up buying the amp with medium girth.

you would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mradyfist posted:

Too much girthiness just makes me kind of uncomfortable, you know?

my girth goes to 11 :cool:

• Locked thread