Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think The Feast and The Famine blows Something From Nothing out of the water.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just watched the Chicago episode and it was really loving cool, especially since I just moved out here. Love Steve Albini carrying Lil Bub around the studio, plus some great footage of Buddy Guy, who's my favorite bluesman.

Something From Nothing was decent but nothing special. Its combination of I Should've Known and Holy Diver is amusing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yo AYC, do you mind updating the OP with the cover art for the new album, YouTube links to the singles, info on the show, etc.? I forgot what time it came on and had to look it up, but it'd be convenient to have all that info in the thread :)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Platypus Farm posted:

It wasn't so much a replacement thing - because yeah it's a completely different animal - more of a thing how if you like XXXXX band, you end up listening to the side projects of the members, if that makes any sense, so I'm not entirely sure how I missed the bus :P

It's all good man, and that makes perfect sense. I was never the biggest Nirvana fan, although I really loved Bleach and Incesticide... and the whole reason I even heard of the Foos back in the 90s was because Dave Grohl was involved. Sometimes things go away and, if you're really lucky, sometimes something better comes out of the ashes. Nirvana to Foo Fighters, just like Mother Love Bone to Pearl Jam. A greater band rose from the ashes.

MLB->Pearl Jam is a lot harder to justify though because god drat I love Mother Love Bone.

Where is the stupid old alternative thread where I can post about old rear end 80s/90s MLB/Green River/Soundgarden all day?

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 25, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man I gotta say, watching the Sonic Highways episodes gives me such a better understanding and appreciation for these songs. I don't think I'm going to be able to dislike anything on the album just because of knowing the story behind it all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kidcoelacanth posted:

Man I gotta say, watching the Sonic Highways episodes gives me such a better understanding and appreciation for these songs. I don't think I'm going to be able to dislike anything on the album just because of knowing the story behind it all.

Yeah, I liked The Feat and The Famine a lot on its own, but after that episode, :drat:

Also, I hope the LA episode is pretty much just Pat Smear reminiscing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I gotta agree. Before the episode, I liked Feast & The Famine but not as much as Something For Nothing. Then I saw the episode last night and now I like it a whole lot more.

There's so much loving history behind this album, it's absurd.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I have to vent about this somewhere, it might as well be here. These small shows Foo have been doing are awesome. They announce the venue, and sell tickets (at the venue box office only) for locals to come and get a chance to see Sonic Highways that was shot in their city and a show.

They hosed Nashville. First, by doing ticket sales online. Secondly, by announcing the on sale time 24 hours in advance. So now Nashville has to contend with the ENTIRE country for tickets to this show. There was no block of tickets for locals at the venue box office. Online only. It's a 2,300 seat venue. Tickets sold out in minutes. And now I keep reading about people from NYC, LA, Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago, all flying in (because it's dead simple to get a cheap flight here) to see them here at a show I should have had a real shot to get tickets to as a local. Now I have to beg some of my friends for comps, when I was more than willing to stand in line and pay money to see the show.

Whatever though. I still like the record so far, and I can't wait to see the episode he shot here. There's so much music history in this town, I can't imagine how he picked what to highlight.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Online sales with no geographical restrictions are one of the best ways to cause fans to stop being fans.

That said, was that the band's decision or the venue's?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

If the band was doing something a certain way in every place but one, it's probably something about that place that didn't let them do it the way they were. The venue, local laws, whatever.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Online sales with no geographical restrictions are one of the best ways to cause fans to stop being fans.

That said, was that the band's decision or the venue's?

More than likely the Venue's, but that's something that could have been overcome had they pushed for it. The Ryman has done local sales on the day before/of a show in the past. It's how I saw Neil Young film the concert film Heart of Gold there. I know for a fact they had holds on Halloween at 3 other venues(I'm friends with the talent buyer for 2 of them), but decided on the Ryman. Why they didn't push for local sales, or a geographical restriction on ticket sales is beyond me though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZHtZrfFuhU

Song #3!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This would not sound out of place on Colour And The Shape/There Is Nothing Left To Lose, and I dig it!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
These documentaries are being aired over here by the BBC, and I'm really enjoying them. You can see that Dave has a lot of passion for music, and is really keen to share that with people. He's worked with a poo poo ton of other artists and has had a ton of success, so you get these relaxed interviews with all kinds of artists where they talk about the history behind songs and bands and styles. You just get a lot of great people who are talking about the music they enjoy, it all feels pretty neat.

I did also enjoy the documentary Dave did about the studio he bought, too, even if the end of it was pretty much an advert for an album. There's a lot of interesting stuff in there about music, production, inspiration, and a lot of that carries on to this series too. There's a bit that I find particularly interesting, late into the film, where they spend a good chunk of time going over ProTools. They talk about how people can make music on their own with a laptop now, and how it's causing the demise of studios, and is generally a bad thing. Then when they're recording a bunch of stuff with load of other artists, they bring someone in (Trent Reznor I think?) who meddles around with it, and they excuse it because he uses it "as an instrument, not a crutch" whatever that means.

Also, I know nothing about any of the stuff they're going to be covering in this series, given it's all about cultural movements on a completely different continent to me, and anything I do recognise is solely American to my mind. I'm not sure what to expect from this, I'm basically going into it blind, so it'll be neat to see what comes up over the course of all this.

Also, also, holy poo poo this is a good way to find out about a new album from one of my favourite bands.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheDarkFlame posted:

Then when they're recording a bunch of stuff with load of other artists, they bring someone in (Trent Reznor I think?) who meddles around with it, and they excuse it because he uses it "as an instrument, not a crutch" whatever that means.

That was a biggest load of horseshit. "COMPUTERS ARE BAD... unless you're Trent Reznor"

I enjoyed the rest of the documentary though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I guess nobody really cared all that much for the Nashville episode? I really don't care for country at all, classic or pop-crossover, but I'm pretty sure Florida-Georgia Line are one of the worst things I've ever heard.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I guess nobody really cared all that much for the Nashville episode? I really don't care for country at all, classic or pop-crossover, but I'm pretty sure Florida-Georgia Line are one of the worst things I've ever heard.

I thought it was real interesting how critical the episode got of today's country music at the end, basically everyone involved seemed to come to the conclusion that it's become lifeless pop music and Nashville has changed for the worse. I've found all three episodes to be fairly thought-provoking in their own ways.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought it was cool learning that Zac Brown is a loving beast at guitar and could probably play any genre he wanted and he didn't really set out to play country music originally, that's just where he ended up. Because before this episode, I knew nothing about Zac Brown other than "he's a country artist".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I do hate country music more than most genres, so yeah, that episode was a bit more difficult to get through. But I don't really remember them saying that it's all corporate BS now. I only watched it last night too.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

It's an interesting take on my city. Nashville IS a songwriters town, and very much an industry driven one. Country music is a machine that keeps growing and growing, and if you don't believe me take a spin around your radio dial.

I think what I found curious is that Nashville is also full of a literal poo poo Ton of extremely talented, legendary, session musicians. All of the big players lived here and worked here, and to be fair when Dylan came here to record Blonde on Blone with the Nashville Cats, literally everyone followed suit. Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, The Byrds, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joan Baez, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Linda Ronstadt. Leon Russell, Steve Miller, Simon & Garfunkel, literally everyone who was anyone in the late 60s and 70s came here to work and record albums with our session players. I found it a bit weird that they completely glossed over that fact, and those people.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My problem with the episode was Dave's insistence on their song not sounding "too country". As someone who doesn't care for country music, I'd still rather see that risk (in the same vein as Metallica's "Mama Said") instead of the bland catalog rehash that "Congregation" is. Especially if he's going in there with an appreciation of the genre/Zac Brown.

At the moment, none of the songs have made me want to listen to them again.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Viper_3000 posted:

It's an interesting take on my city. Nashville IS a songwriters town, and very much an industry driven one. Country music is a machine that keeps growing and growing, and if you don't believe me take a spin around your radio dial.

I think what I found curious is that Nashville is also full of a literal poo poo Ton of extremely talented, legendary, session musicians. All of the big players lived here and worked here, and to be fair when Dylan came here to record Blonde on Blone with the Nashville Cats, literally everyone followed suit. Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, The Byrds, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joan Baez, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Linda Ronstadt. Leon Russell, Steve Miller, Simon & Garfunkel, literally everyone who was anyone in the late 60s and 70s came here to work and record albums with our session players. I found it a bit weird that they completely glossed over that fact, and those people.

I think it helps to keep in mind that a) it'd probably be super tough to commit a reasonable amount of time to everything that deserves it and b) this show is at its core a more personal account for Grohl (and to a lesser extent the rest of the band) and is dealing with how the city is influencing the song that comes out if it more than it is the city's history in the whole. So in the context of each episode what's more important is to see the aspects of that city that have "made it," for lack of a better term, into the song at the end. So while there's going to be plenty of things glossed over in pretty much every episode, it's kind of an inevitable byproduct of what the series boils down to.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Viper_3000 posted:

In a similar vein, I found it weird that they talked to Dan Auerbach but ignored the fact that he was not a Nashville musician and that he moved down there to be a part of that history. He said like two things and then he was in the montage of faces at the end as if he were an important part of Nashville's legend.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What Did I Do? / God As My Witness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II2qM619h94

My least favorite song from the new album so far. I guess it's not terrible, but it's not blowing me away at all and definitely doesn't feel like it compliments the other songs that have been released so far.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 7, 2014

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Interesting song. I think it will play well live, especially the second half, but the production doesn't seem "big" enough for the feeling I'm picturing in my head. It still sounds exactly like a guy in front of an amp in a studio.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah it doesn't seem to fit too well with the others. Ah well, can't all be winners, I think it might end up standing better on it's own outside the album.

They also put up a live version of Outside, which is next week's song from LA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7DziNjlzQ

edit: Definitely feeling Outside a lot more, psyched to hear the studio version.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 7, 2014

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think it helps to keep in mind that a) it'd probably be super tough to commit a reasonable amount of time to everything that deserves it and b) this show is at its core a more personal account for Grohl (and to a lesser extent the rest of the band) and is dealing with how the city is influencing the song that comes out if it more than it is the city's history in the whole. So in the context of each episode what's more important is to see the aspects of that city that have "made it," for lack of a better term, into the song at the end. So while there's going to be plenty of things glossed over in pretty much every episode, it's kind of an inevitable byproduct of what the series boils down to.

Yeah, I get why. I just probably wrongly assumed that Dave was more a music historian than he is. Or maybe they did talk to a few of those guys and just couldn't find a way to put that into the narrative. I'm pretty sure Ken Burns is doing a series on Nashville and Country Music, so I'll be interested to see if he covers it.

In a similar vein, I found it weird that they talked to Dan Auerbach but ignored the fact that he was not a Nashville musician and that he moved down there to be a part of that history. He said like two things and then he was in the montage of faces at the end as if he were an important part of Nashville's legend.

Yeah, minus him, I think they spoke to almost everyone who I would have wanted them to. Granted, a lot of those people don't live in Nashville anymore. I think the only person I'm disappointed that they didn't get, and who I think would really fit into the narrative is Jamey Johnson. Someone who is still on the outside as an artist, but who has sold/given songs to every big name in country right now. I think it would have made for a killer interview and probably a lot of good soundbites for the narrative they did tell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Listening to the new album and I am so in love with this, but I knew I would be. I love everything this band does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

edit: Definitely feeling Outside a lot more, psyched to hear the studio version.

I think Outside might be my favorite track on the album, between it and Something From Nothing. I need to give the whole thing a few more listens, though.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Amazon shipped my CD yesterday, and the tracking says I get it on Monday.

Yes, I still collect physical media, and not vinyl at that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I ordered the CD too, kind of felt like I had to.

I'm trying to get a ticket for their 4th of July show at RFK in DC next year but ticketmaster is swamped.

edit: Got those tix :toot:

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 8, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm trying to get a ticket for their 4th of July show at RFK in DC next year but ticketmaster is swamped.

Yeah, I picked up 2 tickets to the RFK show too, although I couldn't get floor tickets. :mad:

I also have tickets to their show at Wrigley Field in August.

And I must be weird because I like to have the physical tickets mailed to me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

iTunes Radio is streaming the entire album if anyone was interested.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeezy posted:

iTunes Radio is streaming the entire album if anyone was interested.
Here's the link if y'all want it: https://itunes.apple.com/us/station/idra.932983248

I just finished listening to it. I think I'm getting tired of Something From Nothing after hearing it so many times, but I still really dig Feast & The Famine and Congregation. The jam in the last 2 minutes or so of Outside is pretty rad. In The Clear is cool too. I can tell that was the song written here (New Orleans) because of the brass instruments and some of the lyrics (like "second line"). Subterranean kinda felt like a slower, less interesting version of Low.

After my first listen, I'm not thoroughly blown away by the whole thing, and it's not my favorite Foos album or anything. It definitely has a few very strong songs, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I really like the studio version of Outside, and I Am A River is interesting. The intro for it is really amazing. EDIT: The ending too.

TMMadman posted:

I'm the same way, I pin them to my wall.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 9, 2014

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, I picked up 2 tickets to the RFK show too, although I couldn't get floor tickets. :mad:

I also have tickets to their show at Wrigley Field in August.

I got RFK tickets too! They must have had a lot more stadium tickets than floor tickets though.

I love what I've heard of the new album so far. Maybe not as much as Wasting Light, but still pretty good.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Upon a couple listens now I think I was expecting a lot more of a harder sound than what we got, but it's still pretty solid. The show continues to help improve my opinion of each song as it comes out, especially the videos at the end. Really helps give a bigger feel for each track.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chris James 2 posted:

I got RFK tickets too! They must have had a lot more stadium tickets than floor tickets though.

I love what I've heard of the new album so far. Maybe not as much as Wasting Light, but still pretty good.

Yeah, there are way more stadium tickets. I actually just checked out of curiosity and it's still possible to get tickets, but they've gotta be close to selling out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just got the album in the mail today, and giving it my listen through now. Thank you Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I haven't checked out the Austin episode yet but Sonic Highways is probably my favorite thing on TV right now. The Nashville episode may yet turn me into a Zac Brown fan; who could watch that and NOT respect that man?

We still doing favorite songs?

Foo Fighters: Big Me
Colour & Shape: My Hero (I gotta. There are songs I like as much or better; obviously Everlong, Walking After You, maybe even Monkey Wrench, but My Hero was the song that made me sit up and ask "Who the gently caress are these guys?")
Nothing Left to Lose: Gun to my head? Next Year, but that's a HARD choice between that and Stacked Actors, Aurora, Headwires, and -- let's face it -- Learn to Fly.
1x1: Times Like These
In Your Honor: Tie between Best of You and Cold Day in the Sun
Echoes, Silence...: The Pretender, but I have a soft spot for Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners
Wasting Light: Walk, though God help me I haven't listened to the album in full.

And I'm waiting until the end of the series to pick up the full Sonic Highways album, but so far I think Congregation is my favorite.

• Locked thread