Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They are, and it's loving awesome.

This set is amazing. Cheap Trick? Yeah. I can get behind that. 100%. Wish they did more than one song though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wish granted. :getin:

My favorite hit too. God drat. AND loving NAKED RAYGUN? ARE YOU making GBS threads ME.

Dave Grohl might just be my favorite person.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I have to vent about this somewhere, it might as well be here. These small shows Foo have been doing are awesome. They announce the venue, and sell tickets (at the venue box office only) for locals to come and get a chance to see Sonic Highways that was shot in their city and a show.

They hosed Nashville. First, by doing ticket sales online. Secondly, by announcing the on sale time 24 hours in advance. So now Nashville has to contend with the ENTIRE country for tickets to this show. There was no block of tickets for locals at the venue box office. Online only. It's a 2,300 seat venue. Tickets sold out in minutes. And now I keep reading about people from NYC, LA, Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago, all flying in (because it's dead simple to get a cheap flight here) to see them here at a show I should have had a real shot to get tickets to as a local. Now I have to beg some of my friends for comps, when I was more than willing to stand in line and pay money to see the show.

Whatever though. I still like the record so far, and I can't wait to see the episode he shot here. There's so much music history in this town, I can't imagine how he picked what to highlight.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Online sales with no geographical restrictions are one of the best ways to cause fans to stop being fans.

That said, was that the band's decision or the venue's?

More than likely the Venue's, but that's something that could have been overcome had they pushed for it. The Ryman has done local sales on the day before/of a show in the past. It's how I saw Neil Young film the concert film Heart of Gold there. I know for a fact they had holds on Halloween at 3 other venues(I'm friends with the talent buyer for 2 of them), but decided on the Ryman. Why they didn't push for local sales, or a geographical restriction on ticket sales is beyond me though.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

It's an interesting take on my city. Nashville IS a songwriters town, and very much an industry driven one. Country music is a machine that keeps growing and growing, and if you don't believe me take a spin around your radio dial.

I think what I found curious is that Nashville is also full of a literal poo poo Ton of extremely talented, legendary, session musicians. All of the big players lived here and worked here, and to be fair when Dylan came here to record Blonde on Blone with the Nashville Cats, literally everyone followed suit. Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, The Byrds, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joan Baez, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Linda Ronstadt. Leon Russell, Steve Miller, Simon & Garfunkel, literally everyone who was anyone in the late 60s and 70s came here to work and record albums with our session players. I found it a bit weird that they completely glossed over that fact, and those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think it helps to keep in mind that a) it'd probably be super tough to commit a reasonable amount of time to everything that deserves it and b) this show is at its core a more personal account for Grohl (and to a lesser extent the rest of the band) and is dealing with how the city is influencing the song that comes out if it more than it is the city's history in the whole. So in the context of each episode what's more important is to see the aspects of that city that have "made it," for lack of a better term, into the song at the end. So while there's going to be plenty of things glossed over in pretty much every episode, it's kind of an inevitable byproduct of what the series boils down to.

Yeah, I get why. I just probably wrongly assumed that Dave was more a music historian than he is. Or maybe they did talk to a few of those guys and just couldn't find a way to put that into the narrative. I'm pretty sure Ken Burns is doing a series on Nashville and Country Music, so I'll be interested to see if he covers it.

Henchman of Santa posted:

In a similar vein, I found it weird that they talked to Dan Auerbach but ignored the fact that he was not a Nashville musician and that he moved down there to be a part of that history. He said like two things and then he was in the montage of faces at the end as if he were an important part of Nashville's legend.

Yeah, minus him, I think they spoke to almost everyone who I would have wanted them to. Granted, a lot of those people don't live in Nashville anymore. I think the only person I'm disappointed that they didn't get, and who I think would really fit into the narrative is Jamey Johnson. Someone who is still on the outside as an artist, but who has sold/given songs to every big name in country right now. I think it would have made for a killer interview and probably a lot of good soundbites for the narrative they did tell.

• Locked thread