Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My one bug is that it treats the iPad like it’s a 16:9 screen, which is fine for 99% of stuff but any retro things I send in full frame get letterboxed on all 4 sides.

Yeah I wanted to do the ‘all in one’ software thing with Plex, and I’m glad I still have it feeding to that as it’s nice to access while away from the house and can DVR, but the amount of scrolling I have to do even with a heavily vetted channel lineup is super annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

UHF is great yeah. Set up favorites and you shouldn’t have to scroll much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The fact it uses my groups properly means very little scrowling anyway. I have my setup pretty tuned, rather than the 10,000 channel mess that IPTV providers throw at you by default.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

The fact it uses my groups properly means very little scrowling anyway. I have my setup pretty tuned, rather than the 10,000 channel mess that IPTV providers throw at you by default.

What are you using to groom m3us? I've been basically beta testing streammaster and it's getting real good. Next release looks to be pretty great because it's adpoting the concept that channels are things you keep/curate and streams are channel attributes so you can have failover streams for channels, etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nice, I’ll take a look into it (from memory it’s not got a Mac client but I can load into a VM to play with) as that’s a good way to think. Terrafin has a concept of failover but it’s done by hand and I generally don’t bother.

My setup is:

IPTV provider allows you to customize m3u based on their categories. I build some groups out of their ones, after testing the channels I need the most and picking ones that seem most reliable. I then split them into two big groups

The first group goes into epg.best and these are regular channels, which get mapped to EPG, renamed and sanitized with correct logos etc, then sent out.

The second group go into m3u4u and these are the PPV sports channels, ie the group of NHL, NFL etc which aren’t based on real channels. The process here is to get them into logical orders, and assign a unique epg id to them, epg itself doesn’t matter. Once these are in Threadfin they’re then marked to update the channel name each day, and to make an epg from the channel name using the PPV feature.

I then assign everything into their final groups for my setup. It was a pain to originally organize and work out, but for the most part now it’s hands off and everything stays updated by itself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Okay, that's an intersting approach. I'm pretty new to all of this so I just knocked off a local Verizon channel lineup and added things around that. I haven't figured out how to meaningfully add in PPV stuff considering the limitations I'm dealing with not only in managing m3us but also in Emby/Jellyfin/Plex.

You may want to hold off getting real OCD about channel organization until the new release: https://github.com/SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I checked it out to see if things have changed, but there’s no port to get it into my production so it’d just be for testing and messing around in a VM.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Motronic posted:

Okay, that's an intersting approach. I'm pretty new to all of this so I just knocked off a local Verizon channel lineup and added things around that. I haven't figured out how to meaningfully add in PPV stuff considering the limitations I'm dealing with not only in managing m3us but also in Emby/Jellyfin/Plex.

You may want to hold off getting real OCD about channel organization until the new release: https://github.com/SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster/

some cool stuff going on in that repo

https://github.com/SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster/pull/207

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's a single dev, doing sporradic part time work, listening to a bunch of idiots in Discord ask him to do stuff. And its turning out amazing.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Can someone give me a semi basic overview of the IPTV ecosystem as it pertains to Plex/Emby/etc? I have an antenna and tuner and was able to use Plex’s m3u list to grab a channel lineup and schedule for a bunch of OTA stuff, but I retain the childish dream of being able to watch Jeopardy in any number of languages, or bizarre sports from Finland.

Is there a system to do that legally? Like some federation of OTA channels that are easy to import and somehow stream? Can you use Plex as a DVR for more traditional IPTV like Fubo or whatever? Is that the primary use case?

Not asking :filez: , I’m more just trying to understand the context and culture because everything I’ve read assumes I already know what it is or is a Wikipedia article that assumes I’m an electrical engineer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Legally? No. You’ll need to find an IPTV provider, whittle down their channel list like I described in a post last night because Plex maxes out at I believe 400 channels (couldn’t tell you about the other two platforms), and you can use the dvr function then.

I’d look up more about how IPTV works as a whole, then look into the Plex aspect.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The only way to do US IPTV with the channels you expect in a grey area legally, is to use Channels DVR with a cable login to access the TVeverywhere feeds that come with that subscription. At one point it seemed like plex might also integrate TVeverywhere but they never did.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

Can someone give me a semi basic overview of the IPTV ecosystem as it pertains to Plex/Emby/etc? I have an antenna and tuner and was able to use Plex’s m3u list to grab a channel lineup and schedule for a bunch of OTA stuff, but I retain the childish dream of being able to watch Jeopardy in any number of languages, or bizarre sports from Finland.

Is there a system to do that legally? Like some federation of OTA channels that are easy to import and somehow stream? Can you use Plex as a DVR for more traditional IPTV like Fubo or whatever? Is that the primary use case?

Not asking :filez: , I’m more just trying to understand the context and culture because everything I’ve read assumes I already know what it is or is a Wikipedia article that assumes I’m an electrical engineer.

My understanding is that the whole 'live broadcast TV on computer' thing is an absolute mess of rights issues, and thus money issues, and therefore anybody making an idiot-proof (figure of speech) way around any of this is going to be strung up from a lamppost by media-conglomerate lawyers. Which is why, every eight months or so, I think 'TV in my Jellyfin? - what a grand idea', then instead give it up as a stupid idea after running into the same issues you have.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Let me tell you about Aereo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aereo

They hosted an antenna in a warehouse that takes OTA signals and puts them on the internet. For a monthly fee you connect to the stream and watch OTA signals.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

They scheduled each active stream to its own dedicated antenna and tuner for no reason other than to protect themselves against being accused of rebroadcasting. Didn't work!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yet somehow, USTVNow which markets its services at Americans in other parts of the world, is somehow still going. I have no idea how decent their service is these days but I used to have fun watching their stuff about ten years ago back in Europe.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RIP locast

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I used to use that with the Plex plugin too, again another useful service.

UK seems more on top of getting its OTA stuff available online for free than the US, but there was lawsuits there too. I’m not sure if there’s a single service that offers essentially everything Freeview has but between all the broadcasters you can get apps that stream for free at least. Govt should push for the same here, as antennas are great for those of in populous areas but some people haven’t gotten jack in decades.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

spincube posted:

My understanding is that the whole 'live broadcast TV on computer' thing is an absolute mess of rights issues, and thus money issues, and therefore anybody making an idiot-proof (figure of speech) way around any of this is going to be strung up from a lamppost by media-conglomerate lawyers. Which is why, every eight months or so, I think 'TV in my Jellyfin? - what a grand idea', then instead give it up as a stupid idea after running into the same issues you have.

The last "legal" IPTV thing for the New York area required a bunch of tuners with their own separate antenna. You know, before they were told to cease and loving desist.

The rules for IPTV is, as stated above, an absolute mess.

Edit: my mother allows my uncle to log into her Slingbox via DISH network to watch the Steelers games which DISH supports. Wouldn't that be problematic or do you all think the broadcast companies legal teams are already circling around?

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 8, 2024

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What is the best plex like system for music?
I have a friend that is getting somewhat irrationally angry at spotify/streaming algorithms. Wants to replace it with his own stream server that he rips cd's too. I know plex/plexamp work (well for my use), but is there something more tailored?
His current needs would being able to play music within his network, and then downloading to his phone for offline listening. Preferably in the form of playlist syncing that he'll manage.

I'm thinking i'll push him to buy a n100 box with TrueNas Core.

He's a computer toucher by trade but he's burnt out.

Marcus in the Third Party console thread pointed out this sale at Ali.

MarcusSA posted:

AliExpress is having a sale right now and if anyone was looking for a set top emulator you really can’t bes this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805048523628.html
$85 for the 8/255 or $105 for the 16/512

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

deong posted:

What is the best plex like system for music?

Plex/Plexamp in my experience. My usage is pretty much exactly the same as your friend’s- I have lots of cds and I buy lots of cds that I rip to listen to via Plexamp. Having the Plex server running on nvme helps enormously for bringing down the sonic analysis Plex runs, which will give you all your radios and automated mixes in Plexamp.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Plex/Plexamp in my experience. My usage is pretty much exactly the same as your friend’s- I have lots of cds and I buy lots of cds that I rip to listen to via Plexamp. Having the Plex server running on nvme helps enormously for bringing down the sonic analysis Plex runs, which will give you all your radios and automated mixes in Plexamp.

ok cool. Thanks. Seemed like maybe overkill for his needs. I'll keep pushing him that way.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

As a former frustrated computer toucher, starting out with TrueNAS is overkill. I'd just start on a default windows install and if you can't do it there, it won't work anywhere else.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Plexamp rules. Easily the best music player on mobile.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I don't use PlexAmp that often, though probably only because I'm usually in front of the web portal and can play music that way, but every one in a while I'll mess around with the Custom/Similar Radio maker or the thing where you pick 2 songs and it tries to build a playlist that links them together using sonically similar songs and yeah it's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Head's up if you use your Shield as a plex server https://forums.plex.tv/tag/server-nvidia-shield