Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
To be fair, anime nerds have brought this on themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

withak posted:

To be fair, anime nerds have brought this on themselves.

Yes and no. This is like saying gun owners brought any gun issue on themselves. There are dumb fans and smart fans. Those of us who are trying to just clean things up with sources, that TVDB have deemed proper, are ignored because the idiot fans are running around and doing whatever. There are QUITE a number of series that are locked "until the new site comes up". That message was used as an excuse 2 years ago and is still used today. There are shows that are just plain wrong. This show for example has 1 season with the total episodes for the run. Seasons 2-4 are the same episodes split into arcs. They also don't follow their own rules for the most part.

TheTVDB posted:

What Qualifies as a Series:
A series is exactly what it sounds like, a sequence of shows. If a show on TV isn't a series, it doesn't belong here, with the exception of documentaries (see "Documentaries" in this post). This means that made-for-TV movies, single episode specials, and the like should not be listed on theTVdb. These should be included in your movies directories as most movie database websites (IMDB, TMDb, etc.) take care of them. If in doubt, post in the forums before adding a series.

There are movies listed in TV series as specials. Pointing out these are movies are ignored or met with an excuse. There are also shows that are treated as seasons of the same show instead of seperate shows. The answer is "same universe. same show". This is regardless of if that actually fits the description.

I rant because it's very frustrating and there is no option because most applications like Sickbeard and Plex use TVDB so we're forced to use 3rd party things to just have a semblance of organization. I understand that having seasons as the US audience knows is different from how Japan or even the UK handles things but shutting everyone out is not the way to fix it.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

UScr00ge posted:

I just discovered the USTVnow plugin for Plex while searching for plugins that allow HDHomerun OTA plugin streaming throughout the house and my mind is sort of blown. I had to lie when I set up my USTVNow account and say I live in Canada (the service is for ex-pats I believe) but I'm now watching the Masters inside Plex for free. I'm seriously considering cancelling my DirecTV now and buying the USTVNow premium subscription because it has most of the channels I want for 30 bucks a month and I can use Plex on a ton of devices.

Here's the plugin in case anyone is interested.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/60268-rel-ustvnow-plugin/

This is insane. Thanks for posting this! I might have to find a friend or two to split a premium with..

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How can I merge seasons of a show? I am adding Game Center CX (which I have to list as Retro Game Master), but for some reason it split the first three episodes out of the season, leaving me with two "Season One" entries.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I love the Plex interface on my android device, as well as the web browser, but the roku interface sucks rear end. Has anybody edited an XML or had it use a different profile or something?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Roundboy posted:

I love the Plex interface on my android device, as well as the web browser, but the roku interface sucks rear end. Has anybody edited an XML or had it use a different profile or something?

I wish. The dog rear end interface that hasn't been updated in forever is one of the reasons I stopped using my Roku for Plex.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

teagone posted:

I wish. The dog rear end interface that hasn't been updated in forever is one of the reasons I stopped using my Roku for Plex.

I've been using plex on an old roku lt, and it's dog slow... at least compared to my android devices. Would the interface be any faster on the Roku 3?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fatpat268 posted:

I've been using plex on an old roku lt, and it's dog slow... at least compared to my android devices. Would the interface be any faster on the Roku 3?

Speed of the UI isn't really an issue on the Roku, so yes in that regard. It's just it looks and navigates worse than the Netflix/YouTube Roku channels.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

teagone posted:

Speed of the UI isn't really an issue on the Roku, so yes in that regard. It's just it looks and navigates worse than the Netflix/YouTube Roku channels.

Yea, I know what you mean. Plex on everything else has a pretty similar interface, but the implementation on Roku is just not great. Honestly, I'm probably just gonna pick up a Fire TV to replace this roku lt.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, I know what you mean. Plex on everything else has a pretty similar interface, but the implementation on Roku is just not great. Honestly, I'm probably just gonna pick up a Fire TV to replace this roku lt.

Consider a Chromecast too :)

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

teagone posted:

I think profiles are packaged inside the actual app. Right click the Plex Media Server app in whatever folder you put it in, and select "Show Package Contents". Should be somewhere in the Resources folder.

[edit] Apparently editing the XML files that way will get overwritten with each update. According to the Plex forums, in the ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server folder make a folder called "Profiles" and put a copy of the Chromecast.xml in there. The server will use the profiles you put there before it looks for one in the app package.

So the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles/Chromecast.xml

I did this, but I don't think it's working. I am still transcoding x264 mkv files. Anyone had any luck with this?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

fatpat268 posted:

Word to the wise, I went back to the new Roku stick after picking up the FireTV as it'd randomly freeze on Plex and refuse to play the file again without a reboot. I think there needs to be a software update or something. On the other hand, this was happening on WiFi and I have since moved the FireTV to my basement over wired ethernet and in 3 episodes of Cosmos I didn't have any issues. If it weren't for this (crippling) issue the FireTV would be my main box but since the Roku just works, it won. I agree, the UI is a bit ugly, but I'm not in that for long!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Has anyone had issues with Plex no longer being remotely accessible (when not at home)? This happened to me for like a week and now magically fixed itself.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Has anyone had issues with Plex no longer being remotely accessible (when not at home)? This happened to me for like a week and now magically fixed itself.

I recently got Plex so I could watch stuff via Chromecast. Didn't even know this existed. Just started watching a video from my home pc at work on my phone. We are in the future, man.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

teagone posted:

They're actually overhauling the interface for version 3.0 of the Roku channel: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/27134-plex-for-roku/?p=624889

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

fatpat268 posted:

fatpat268 posted:

The Roku interface is the way it is because of Roku, not Plex - it's their interface SDK that is the limiting factor. Note that in many cases Netflix, HBO Go, Prime (especially Prime) and others generally look "worse" on the Roku. It's a limitation of the platform. Same situation with the player, which Plex has to use - it's not nearly as good (or easy to modify) as Android's is (and on Android you can even use a third party player if you want to jump through some hoops).

And given that it was just last year that Roku released an "update" that allowed for "better" interfaces on the Roku 3 - and it's only marginally better as a result - I'm guessing this is about as good as it's going to get, at least for current-gen Roku's. Even Plex's new "3.0" update that's in the PlexTest channel isn't that big an improvement (though it does have more navigation options).

The FireTV really does have a far superior interface for most apps, due to being Android and having a faster CPU/more memory. Netflix is still stuck in the dark ages on it but I expect that will change. Plex looks a lot better but as the FTV is a new device there are still some kinks to be ironed out, like multi-channel passthrough audio and such - but that will all be settled in the next month or two.

Edit: I own and use both extensively (Roku/FTV). I much prefer the FTV overall despite the teething problems. Hopefully they'll add some more channels like HBO Go soon.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 22, 2014

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I was going to ask what you folks would recommend for streaming video over ethernet and netflix but the answer seems to be Fire TV. Just cancelled my Roku 3 order but now that I read more I may miss the headphone jack and lack of HBOgo. Is there any word on FireTV getting the service soon?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
FireTV dispite the 'war' between content and the app stores ?

I have to say the roku is winning out for me due to the channel content for kids. If fireTV a\had even a fraction of it i would switch. Provided there looks to be long term support and updates.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

I was going to ask what you folks would recommend for streaming video over ethernet and netflix but the answer seems to be Fire TV. Just cancelled my Roku 3 order but now that I read more I may miss the headphone jack and lack of HBOgo. Is there any word on FireTV getting the service soon?

There is no official word on HBOGo for Fire TV. Amazon says they are working on it but I believe HBO hasn't said a word yet. Is there an HBOGo Plex channel that could be a work around.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Stick100 posted:

There is no official word on HBOGo for Fire TV. Amazon says they are working on it but I believe HBO hasn't said a word yet. Is there an HBOGo Plex channel that could be a work around.

You can sideload the android apk of HBO GO onto the Fire TV as long as you have a mouse (or maybe a controller?) to control it. You can do the same thing with Firefox/Flash.

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2703716

I plugged my Logitech Unifying Reciever into the USB and it saw my Wireless Trackball m570/Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 no problem.

Roundboy posted:

I have to say the roku is winning out for me due to the channel content for kids. If fireTV a\had even a fraction of it i would switch. Provided there looks to be long term support and updates.

Kindle Freetime is coming next month :)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 23, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Amazon and HBO announced today that Prime video is getting HBO shows. I don't know if that includes current runs or just completed seasons.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TraderStav posted:

Amazon and HBO announced today that Prime video is getting HBO shows. I don't know if that includes current runs or just completed seasons.

Just completed seasons over 3 years old.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Just completed seasons over 3 years old.

That's still pretty awesome though. HBO has a fantastic catalog of shows in that time frame.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

TraderStav posted:

I read somewhere that it was mainly old stuff (Sopranos, The Wire).

e;f,b

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TraderStav posted:

quote:

Amazon.com, Inc. today announced a content licensing agreement with HBO, making Prime Instant Video the exclusive online-only subscription home for select HBO programming. The collection includes award-winning shows such as The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Big Love, Deadwood, Eastbound & Down, Family Tree, Enlightened, Treme, early seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, as well as mini-series like Band of Brothers, John Adams and more. Previous seasons of other HBO shows, such as Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will become available over the course of the multi-year agreement, approximately three years after airing on HBO. The first wave of content will arrive on Prime Instant Video May 21. This is the first time that HBO programming has been licensed to an online-only subscription streaming service. This programming will remain on all HBO platforms.

In addition, HBO GO will become available on Fire TV, targeting a launch by year-end. HBO GO is HBOs authenticated streaming service offering subscribers instant access to over 1,700 titles online including every episode of new and classic HBO series, as well as HBO original films, miniseries, sports, documentaries, specials and a wide selection of blockbuster movies.

Beginning May 21, Amazon Prime members will have unlimited streaming access to:
All seasons of revered classics such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome and Six Feet Under, and of recent favorites such as Eastbound & Down, Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords
Epic miniseries, including Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parades End
Select seasons of current series such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood
Hit original movies like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Dont Know Jack
Pedigreed documentaries including the Autopsy and Iceman series, Ghosts of Abu Ghraib and When the Levees Broke
Hilarious original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK and Bill Maher

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Of course it had to be a service that isn't offered in :canada:.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I've been using Plex for a while, usually either with an iPad or a Roku 3 (I have no complaints about the interface, who gives a poo poo? I mostly use my Android phone and play to Roku anyway). Plex is currently running on my really overpowered desktop and works beautifully, except when I try to use the Windows Plex client connected to the PMS on the same computer. When I connect to the server (manually my specifying localhost) it is constantly buffering. I don't understand how it could possibly be having trouble with buffering without even going over the network. Am I doing something wrong? It is definitely not a cpu power problem, as it is a very overlocked i5-2500k.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I've been using Plex for a while, usually either with an iPad or a Roku 3 (I have no complaints about the interface, who gives a poo poo? I mostly use my Android phone and play to Roku anyway). Plex is currently running on my really overpowered desktop and works beautifully, except when I try to use the Windows Plex client connected to the PMS on the same computer. When I connect to the server (manually my specifying localhost) it is constantly buffering. I don't understand how it could possibly be having trouble with buffering without even going over the network. Am I doing something wrong? It is definitely not a cpu power problem, as it is a very overlocked i5-2500k.

I kind of give a poo poo. The Plex Roku UI in its current incarnation is terrible compared to the YouTube or Netflix Roku channels. Once they push an update that's not exclusive to Plex Pass subscribers, I might go back to using it. The Chromecast right now is working just fine for me though.

Regarding your server woes, I had the same issue. I basically never play from Plex client on my actual Plex Server though (it's a straight up dedicated PMS), but from what I remember, I forced lowering the process of Plex on the PC PMS was installed on to "below normal" and that kind of remedied the issue when playing from the Plex/Web client. I also remember that playback from Plex Home Theater was a lot better than playing from the web client, so that's an alternative solution.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I had the same problem, the web player/client thing is just really loving awful. It was buffering and stuttering over my gigabit network. I played with settings for awhile and just gave up, my transcoding machine was more than up to the task so its just something weird in their player. I ended up really unhappy both with the Roku interface and the web player so I finally said gently caress it and went back to XBMC.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can sideload the android apk of HBO GO onto the Fire TV as long as you have a mouse (or maybe a controller?) to control it. You can do the same thing with Firefox/Flash.

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2703716

I plugged my Logitech Unifying Reciever into the USB and it saw my Wireless Trackball m570/Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 no problem.

Kindle Freetime is coming next month :)

drat. Is there anyplace where I can read details on that? I have two kids I want to limit but it won't work if its one or account.

I might just have to get this vs the roku

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I had the same problem, the web player/client thing is just really loving awful. It was buffering and stuttering over my gigabit network. I played with settings for awhile and just gave up, my transcoding machine was more than up to the task so its just something weird in their player. I ended up really unhappy both with the Roku interface and the web player so I finally said gently caress it and went back to XBMC.

I'm able to play through the web player on every other PC on my network, wired or through WiFi, without issue. It's just the actual Plex Server where it runs like rear end. Were you getting stuttering playback on your Roku?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

I'm able to play through the web player on every other PC on my network, wired or through WiFi, without issue. It's just the actual Plex Server where it runs like rear end. Were you getting stuttering playback on your Roku?

Not on the Roku, the interface was just really mediocre and felt slow there. I was only getting it on the web player and I tried all 4 PCs on the network.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I also asked this in the HTPC thread, but maybe this would be a more appropriate place.

What's the least expensive hardware I could buy to run a Plex server? I'll mostly be streaming to an Amazon FireTV, if that makes a difference.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I guess I wasn't clear. This doesn't happen in the web player, it happens in the Plex Home Theater program. Weirdly it works fine in the web player, guess I'll just use that.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
This might be a silly question but is it possible to play a DVD through Plex? As in, I drop a physical disk into my Plex server and cast it to a Chromecast.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Did Plex just change the web app appearence out of nowhere? I was adding some content on my computer just now and it got stuck at a point so I had to close out the program. When I go into the web app afterwards the layout has changed to look more like the launcher and the only options on the main page is "recently added" and "channels" with the sidebar being all the pages.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Rirse posted:

Did Plex just change the web app appearence out of nowhere? I was adding some content on my computer just now and it got stuck at a point so I had to close out the program. When I go into the web app afterwards the layout has changed to look more like the launcher and the only options on the main page is "recently added" and "channels" with the sidebar being all the pages.

Sort of. It's the same interface now as if you were to log in to your web interface from plex.tv

I'm not sure how it all worked, but there were two seperate web apps (of a different version) depending on how you accessed it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Karthe posted:

This might be a silly question but is it possible to play a DVD through Plex? As in, I drop a physical disk into my Plex server and cast it to a Chromecast.

Doubt it. Limited ISO support was recently added, though.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Well, I figured out part of my problem with Chromecast. I had my server setup via WIFI, because I wanted to have it in a room that no one really used, so that it wouldn't randomly spin up when I wanted to watch/download/whatever something. Turns out the card I was using would randomly drop down to 5 Mbits speed, and that is right when whatever I was playing would start skipping.

Ran some wire to it, and now have it hardwired into my router, and it works like a charm.

If your server is connecting to Chromecast via WIFI, you may want to check it out, and try to hard wire that poo poo in. I never realized just how lovely my cheapo depo wifi card was till now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Colt Cannon posted:

Well, I figured out part of my problem with Chromecast. I had my server setup via WIFI, because I wanted to have it in a room that no one really used, so that it wouldn't randomly spin up when I wanted to watch/download/whatever something. Turns out the card I was using would randomly drop down to 5 Mbits speed, and that is right when whatever I was playing would start skipping.

Ran some wire to it, and now have it hardwired into my router, and it works like a charm.

If your server is connecting to Chromecast via WIFI, you may want to check it out, and try to hard wire that poo poo in. I never realized just how lovely my cheapo depo wifi card was till now.

My new iMac was connecting via Wi-Fi and having insane buffering issues. I ran an Ethernet cable and it's never buffered once since.