Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eddiewalker posted:

You should be able to force transcoding with bitrate limits in the player app itself.

I know the Roku and iOS apps can.

It's an LG Smart tv and it doesn't really have any settings. I think I have to do it server side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

I deleted and reinstalled the app and it works now. What was the cutoff for when they started charging? I've been using this for ~1.5 years.

It switched over Jan 1st of this year but if you had it installed beforehand you should be grandfathered in. Seems like it was just a hiccup.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jonathan posted:

It's an LG Smart tv and it doesn't really have any settings. I think I have to do it server side.

Are you sure it's a bandwidth issue and not a server issue that's preventing you from streaming 1080p content? What are the specs of your Plex server and is it connected to your home network through WiFi or ethernet? Is your router a wireless B/G model only?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What do I need to do to move my Plex install from one user account to another? I moved my PC to the living room last week and discovered that Plex needs to be set up again on the new account I created before it'll show any of my videos.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

Are you sure it's a bandwidth issue and not a server issue that's preventing you from streaming 1080p content? What are the specs of your Plex server and is it connected to your home network through WiFi or ethernet? Is your router a wireless B/G model only?

Im fairly sure it's a bandwidth issue. The TV is connected via wireless N, at the other end of the house and 1 floor up.

The plex server is an i3 Intel NUC with 4gb ram connected to a gigabit network. I would assume that would be enough to transcode to a lower bitrate. I suppose I could get it to try and play a high bitrate file from the TV and run resource monitor on the plex server and see what it's doing...

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
If you need bandwidth to handle connections between floors of a residence get a powerline Ethernet package (google powerline ethernet) for full Ethernet speeds with no signal degradation via using the power line.

:science:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

notwithoutmyanus posted:

If you need bandwidth to handle connections between floors of a residence get a powerline Ethernet package (google powerline ethernet) for full Ethernet speeds with no signal degradation via using the power line.

:science:

Yeah I know about those, eventually I'll set that up, in the meantime I just wanted to reduce the bandwidth requirements.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Has anything changed since the fire tv has come out?

My parents have a 6300 series samsung tv and the plex app occasionally has network errors or movies get out of sync when I am streaming a shared library from another location. This doesn't happen when I stream on my phone on the same wifi connection.

I'm thinking of getting them either a roku 3 or a fire tv. Any recommendation on what plex version is better between those two?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

sellouts posted:

I'm thinking of getting them either a roku 3 or a fire tv. Any recommendation on what plex version is better between those two?

Fire TV has the better app, definitely. The Roku Plex app UI is pretty garbage in comparison (which isn't Plex's fault, it's all on Roku).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to split tv shows without having to rename the files? I am trying to use the tv show option on Plex to put up some non-tv shows files. It actually managed to read them without having to rename the files, but when it comes to stuff like "Bonus Video 01" and "Video 01", it merges them together without a option to split them.

Mostly doing this since I got a lot of videos that are in number order I like to organize this way instead of making a ton of individual folders.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Fire TV has the better app, definitely. The Roku Plex app UI is pretty garbage in comparison (which isn't Plex's fault, it's all on Roku).

Wow, you're right. This thing rips. Thank you for the rec

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to split tv shows without having to rename the files? I am trying to use the tv show option on Plex to put up some non-tv shows files. It actually managed to read them without having to rename the files, but when it comes to stuff like "Bonus Video 01" and "Video 01", it merges them together without a option to split them.

Mostly doing this since I got a lot of videos that are in number order I like to organize this way instead of making a ton of individual folders.

They way I've seen and done is the specials go into season 0. Then they get shown correctly as well have their meta data searched. Look on thetvdb if that is what you use for your indexer

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK Regarding my earlier post about if my plex server is up to the task of transcoding to my LG smart tv,

Here is a resource monitor while transcoding a medium size (12GB) 1080p mkv (h264)

Notice the peaks and valleys on the graphs match up with the buffering times on the TV

7% cpu usage
1-2MB/second harddisk usage
And usually less than 1MB/second network (on a Gigabit connection where I can do 37MB/sec to the nas and pull 75MB from the NAS)

I cant figure out a way to run a bandwidth test on the TV (No vudu app) but my laptop sitting next to the TV can only get:

Speedtest is a good indicator of signal strength being the bottleneck as I can pull over 50mbit near the router over wifi.

9Mbit being about the same as 1MB/sec according to the network utilization being used at the server, as per the resource monitor.

Herp Durf: Got it to work, there is an rj45 port on the back of the DVR that is supposed to be for network input to the dvr but also works unofficially as a network hub. Streams just fine now.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 31, 2014

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I'm having a problem with Plex. I've installed the server app and am trying to upload my shows; movies it does fine, but it keeps deciding that Samurai Jack is The Walking Dead and everything else animated is Pokemon. I've named everything the way it's supposed to be named, so I'm unsure why this is happening. Also, everything keeps getting merged randomly with other things; for example, Season Three of Blackadder ended up crunched in with Samurai Jack. I really like the idea of Plex, but if I'm going to have to manually edit every file, then it doesn't seem worth it. Any advice?

Pinball fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 3, 2014

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Do you have them separated into different folders(Movies, TV Shows, Home Videos)? Once I separated them out, Plex has had no problems reading anything. I don't even bother renaming anything because Plex figures it out or, in the case of Home Videos, just leaves it alone.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Do you have them separated into different folders(Movies, TV Shows, Home Videos)? Once I separated them out, Plex has had no problems reading anything. I don't even bother renaming anything because Plex figures it out or, in the case of Home Videos, just leaves it alone.

Yup, I've done that. Now I've gotten it to recognize some things, but on some things it's having a weird issue with episodes that are titled 'e1' and not 'e01.' It's also not recognizing the names of things I can find on TVDb, and when I go to TVDb, I see the names and information on the site.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Is there any way to increase the font of the web interface? Running it to my television is awesome but some of the text is so tiny you need to squint.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

bagina posted:

Is there any way to increase the font of the web interface? Running it to my television is awesome but some of the text is so tiny you need to squint.

Is the media type of the app you are using for the TV set to a TV type vs android,etc? That comes with large interfaces.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bagina posted:

Why are you running the web player on your TV? If you're doing so from a connected computer/laptop, install Plex Home Theater and use that instead. It's free :)

[edit] Other alternatives include buying a Chromecast for $35 and use your phone/tablet as a remote to browse your Plex server, or get a Fire TV and install the Plex app.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I actually have a chromecast. Some of the channels I would like to watch (like some of the shows on PBS) won't stream to devices but will work directly from the web browser. To get around this, I was watching through the browser of my PS4. First world problem.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Man, for something advertised as being simple, I'm finding Plex very difficult. Now my problem is getting it to fetch subtitles. I have an OpenSubtitles account and have set Plex up the necessary way to get the subs, but when I force refresh, it doesn't fetch. Looking at the log only shows that apparently the subs don't exist, even though I checked OpenSubtitles and they do. I really don't want to have to manually add .srt files to my thousand pieces of media. :(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex is loving terrible when dealing with subtitles. I don't know of a better way to automate this using windows, so for stuff I really want I just manually download them.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

Plex is loving terrible when dealing with subtitles. I don't know of a better way to automate this using windows, so for stuff I really want I just manually download them.

Yeah, but I'm right on the border between moderately and profoundly deaf, so for me, subtitles are a necessity. This sucks, I was all excited about setting up a streaming media server that could automatically fetch subs. I've asked on the Plex forums; hopefully they can help.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Pinball posted:

Yeah, but I'm right on the border between moderately and profoundly deaf, so for me, subtitles are a necessity. This sucks, I was all excited about setting up a streaming media server that could automatically fetch subs. I've asked on the Plex forums; hopefully they can help.

Did you make an account on opensubtitles? It didn't work for me until I created an account and out the details in the settings for opensubtitles in plex.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

JoeMB posted:

Did you make an account on opensubtitles? It didn't work for me until I created an account and out the details in the settings for opensubtitles in plex.

Yup, done that.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Now I get the option to choose English subs on most of my media, but when I do, nothing pops up. This is making me want to rip my hair out. I've asked the Plex redditors, since they might be more responsive than the guys on the official forums, who are saying nothing. Ugh, I just want a media center that can fetch and play subtitles automatically, why is it so difficult?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pinball posted:

Now I get the option to choose English subs on most of my media, but when I do, nothing pops up. This is making me want to rip my hair out. I've asked the Plex redditors, since they might be more responsive than the guys on the official forums, who are saying nothing. Ugh, I just want a media center that can fetch and play subtitles automatically, why is it so difficult?

I mean, you could grab external SRT files. That's what I do if I really need subtitles in Plex.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

teagone posted:

I mean, you could grab external SRT files. That's what I do if I really need subtitles in Plex.

I could, yes, but I have almost a thousand pieces of media and I need to get subtitles for every single one. I was hoping for a way to me to not need to do it manually, episode by episode.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pinball posted:

I could, yes, but I have almost a thousand pieces of media and I need to get subtitles for every single one. I was hoping for a way to me to not need to do it manually, episode by episode.

How about just manually downloading the subs you plan on watching at the time you're going to watch it?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

GutBomb posted:

How about just manually downloading the subs you plan on watching at the time you're going to watch it?

It looks like that might be my only option. I'm just so disappointed because growing up, getting subtitles and making them work was always such a huge pain, when it even worked at all, so I was honestly beyond thrilled at the idea of a media app that could fetch and play subtitles for me. It's just a big disappointment, is all.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but XBMC has very good built-in subtitle support now. If I had to have subtitles for everything I wouldn't hesitate to use xbmc over plex.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but XBMC has very good built-in subtitle support now. If I had to have subtitles for everything I wouldn't hesitate to use xbmc over plex.

Does XMBC also serve the purpose of streaming media to other devices? I thought it was solely for HTPCs. And I'm guessing there's no Chromecast support? That's what drew me to Plex initially: the ability for me to control and stream stuff to my older flatscreen using the ChromeCast.

Pinball fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 4, 2014

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

What about using a subtitle downloader external to Plex?

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Looks like Filebot supports automated subtitle downloading in addition to automatically renaming/organizing your media, can't attest to how well it works as I haven't tried it myself in an automated configuration, but it appears to be pretty straightforward to set up.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Stockwell posted:

Looks like Filebot supports automated subtitle downloading in addition to automatically renaming/organizing your media, can't attest to how well it works as I haven't tried it myself in an automated configuration, but it appears to be pretty straightforward to set up.

Thank you immensely! It works decently; still randomly skips several episodes at points, but I can download those .srt files on my own. It downloaded about five hundred files before I hit the 'anti-leech limit,' so you've been a wonderful help.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'm pondering consolidating things in my living room a bit and going from a dedicated HTPC running Plex HT to a Kindle Fire TV running plex. Anyone else made that jump? How sad am I going to be?

I've looked at things like the Roku in the past, and while it will do what I want, from an interface and speed perspective, an HTPC beats the living poo poo out of the Roku, so I'm a bit wary of the set-top box experience (chop chop plex on XBone plz)

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm pondering consolidating things in my living room a bit and going from a dedicated HTPC running Plex HT to a Kindle Fire TV running plex. Anyone else made that jump? How sad am I going to be?

I've looked at things like the Roku in the past, and while it will do what I want, from an interface and speed perspective, an HTPC beats the living poo poo out of the Roku, so I'm a bit wary of the set-top box experience (chop chop plex on XBone plz)

If Plex recognizes everything then you should be fine. From the couple hours I spent with Plex Fire TV it seemed about as good as Plex HT. Where will the media be served from if you're removing the HTPC?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stick100 posted:

If Plex recognizes everything then you should be fine. From the couple hours I spent with Plex Fire TV it seemed about as good as Plex HT. Where will the media be served from if you're removing the HTPC?

From a machine in my office over Ethernet. I moved the Plex server a while ago.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

From a machine in my office over Ethernet. I moved the Plex server a while ago.

Then you'll probably be fine. You can return the Fire TV to either best buy or Amazon if it doesn't work. The only thing you'll be out is the $5 to buy Plex from the Amazon store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malmanous
Mar 28, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

I did this exact thing two weeks ago and I love it. It works perfectly with no stutters on any of my movies.