Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a hand me down NVME SSD in my plex machine, and all my torrents go to it first, before being moved to HDD storage. It's a little annoying sometimes in that a slow series download means i have to wait a "long time" before I can watch, but it's pretty handy in general to keep random writes off of the HDD's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

lignicolos posted:

from the spec sheet you linked:

"4K HDR¹,² - HDR10, HLG & Dolby Vision® for incredible detail and clarity"

Looks to me like it does Dolby Vision.

You read the marketing blurb and not the spec sheet. If you read under Video Features and HDR compatibility it only supports HDR10 and HLG. Some Dolby Vision profiles contain enough data to be a super set of HDR10 but profile 5 isn't one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So I tried setting up Plex Meta Manager. Finally got it going but man, is it ever hard to use as there is no GUI and the documentation is lacking.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bonzo posted:

So I tried setting up Plex Meta Manager. Finally got it going but man, is it ever hard to use as there is no GUI and the documentation is lacking.
Took me forever to get things set up nicely enough and then they changed the way they categorize the drat bubbles that tell you bitrate and audio codes and fuuuuucknif there's a good enough guide explaining how to transition over >_<

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Took me forever to get things set up nicely enough and then they changed the way they categorize the drat bubbles that tell you bitrate and audio codes and fuuuuucknif there's a good enough guide explaining how to transition over >_<

Yeah I used it for a bit and just gave up. I just use mediaelch to save stuff locally now. I don’t care about the fancy collection and overlays - I tried them but ending up disliking how cluttered they made my library look.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is there any way to have PlexAmp cast to an Alexa device or speaker group?

Doesn't look like its possible but thought I would ask

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2024

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Is there any way to have PlexAmp cast to an Alexa device or speaker group?

Doesn't look like its possible but thought I would ask

you can with Ropieee

https://ropieee.org/

but none of this is alexa/amazon stuff. but food for thought.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So my Plex server in the last few weeks has decided that it can't deliver anything other than SD video to anything that isn't the PC it's installed on. Remote access has apparently become inaccessible even though I haven't changed the settings since initially getting it set up. Is this something that a server update screwed up or what?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What does it say in the settings under remote access?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Firewall?

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Newegg has this micropc on "deep" sale today (*$200 for the 8GB model, $230 for the 16GB)
https://www.newegg.com/msi-cubi-n-adl-nettop-computer/p/1VK-0053-00U47?Item=9SIB0GJK3C3373

It is a n100, comes with an upgradable 512 nvme, and RAM is upgradable to 64GB....

I'm very tempted to replace my ancient rig running my plex needs, but am not certain that it'll be up to the task. We store most/all of our content on external HDDs already.
I'm attracted to the low power draw of a system like this vs some deep discounted cpu/mobo/ram combo somewhere.

any advice/input?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Newegg has this micropc on "deep" sale today (*$200 for the 8GB model, $230 for the 16GB)
https://www.newegg.com/msi-cubi-n-adl-nettop-computer/p/1VK-0053-00U47?Item=9SIB0GJK3C3373

It is a n100, comes with an upgradable 512 nvme, and RAM is upgradable to 64GB....

I'm very tempted to replace my ancient rig running my plex needs, but am not certain that it'll be up to the task. We store most/all of our content on external HDDs already.
I'm attracted to the low power draw of a system like this vs some deep discounted cpu/mobo/ram combo somewhere.

any advice/input?

That looks pretty perfect, the N100 will crush transcoding via Quick Sync (plex pass feature).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have one of these https://www.bee-link.com/beelink-mini-s12-pro-n100-mini-pc-clone-1 that I am running stock for my Plex server.

It works fine my my Arrs and Plex but CPU will jump to 100% on library scans. However I think this is more a Windows issue and you'd likely see better performance on Ubuntu.

I have two external USB drives that host my media and I just plugged in.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

AppleNippleBOB posted:

any advice/input?

My understanding is the GPU on the n100 is great for plex transcoding since it offers the latest version of Intel's quicksync, assuming you have a plex pass.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

That's what I was understanding as well. Would it make sense to fill it to the gills with RAM (~$110 for 64GB, $60 for 32) or be happy with the base 16?

edit: Intel is claiming the n100's max supported RAm is 16GB, the MSI page for that model says it can handle 64GB... I assume I should trust Intel on this one

AppleNippleBOB fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 23, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AppleNippleBOB posted:

any advice/input?

I have something p similar and if you're looking to cut costs it might be worth considering ebay for a used / open box model. I've been able to find slightly older Intel NUC boxes on the cheap and mine came in great shape.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AppleNippleBOB posted:

That's what I was understanding as well. Would it make sense to fill it to the gills with RAM (~$110 for 64GB, $60 for 32) or be happy with the base 16?

You'll want to be mindful of power draw.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

AppleNippleBOB posted:

If you are just transcoding and you are not running windows, 16GB is plenty.

tl;dr For those that just read "RAM Disk" and mind turns off , this is just showing that even back in 2019, 16GB is a lot. The NVME drive that comes with that machince much faster than the SATA drives they had to work with back then.

From a 2019 detailed guide on memory usage in Plex about RAM disks posted:

How much RAM do I need?

Short answer: At least 16GB total system RAM, with 8GB allocated to RAM disk.

Long-winded explanation:

When Plex needs to transcode media for any reason (resolution or bitrate change, container change, audio conversion, subtitles, etc.), it uses the transcode folder. It pulls the streams out of the original container in 8 second chunks, transcodes them if necessary, and then dumps them in the transcode folder. Depending on the bitrate, the video chunks can range anywhere from about 7 megabytes per minute for a basic SD video to 200+ megabytes for a high bitrate 1080p file. And if you have 4K media, you could be looking at 400-500MB per minute.

Plex keeps these chunks around even after they have been watched, until the playback stops (pausing is not stopping, and a paused video will keep the chunks around indefinitely) or until the transcode folder drops to less than 100MB of free space. Plex has some intelligence baked in that should remove the oldest watched chunks once the free space drops to 100MB, but if that can’t keep up, you can get the dreaded “Playback Error Conversion failed” error when you try to start playback.
https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-plex-transcoding-and-ram-disks/625

Back then, NVME drives were not as common (I think...) so your transcode directory would already be living on media even faster than SATA.

Take that nonsense as you will.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 23, 2024

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

EVIL Gibson posted:

If you are just transcoding and you are not running windows, 16GB is plenty.

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-plex-transcoding-and-ram-disks/625

Back then, NVME drives were not as common (I think...) so your transcode directory would already be living on media even faster than SATA.

Take that nonsense as you will.

While I've yelled enough at friends/family about setting their default quality settings to original/maximum, I've never had transcode cache issues, even with that being stored on old sata SSDs.

RAM disks are sweet, but seems like total overkill here.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moey posted:

While I've yelled enough at friends/family about setting their default quality settings to original/maximum, I've never had transcode cache issues, even with that being stored on old sata SSDs.

RAM disks are sweet, but seems like total overkill here.

I continue the post to say with the invention and more prevelant use of NVME drives (which the newegg sale has), you don't really need to make Ramdisks anymore :shrug:

In other words 16GB is fine for transcoding

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

EVIL Gibson posted:

I continue the post to say with the invention and more prevelant use of NVME drives (which the newegg sale has), you don't really need to make Ramdisks anymore :shrug:

Yeah, we are on the same page here.

When I migrated from a VM to a USFF PC for my Plex server, I temporary dropped from the 16gb my VM had to 8gb in the physical (while I slowly dug up some larger so-dimms). poo poo ran just fine for a few months on the 8gb. My weekly max concurrent streams is normally between 8 and 12, and during that time I saw a handful of concurrent transcodes going from 1080p to 720p.

No buffering issues or complaints.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kri kri posted:

What does it say in the settings under remote access?

Just that it's not available outside my network, except it's like this even on other devices connected to the network too. Specifically my PS5, both it and my Plex PC are connected to the router by ethernet.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is the 87.115 IP your VPN or something?

Go to https://portchecker.co/ and enter in the 87.115 IP and port 18117. Is it open or closed?

The fact that its only streaming SD is odd. Have you just tired rebooting the router?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

The other benefit I've read about for ramdisks besides speed is that it saves read/writes on your data drives. I know older SSDs would 'wear out' eventually, is this not as much of an issue with NVME?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Is the 87.115 IP your VPN or something?

Go to https://portchecker.co/ and enter in the 87.115 IP and port 18117. Is it open or closed?

The fact that its only streaming SD is odd. Have you just tired rebooting the router?

Isn't that how it works, if the server isn't accessible you can still stream through Plex itself but it knocks everything down to SD? Swear I read that somewhere.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

njsykora posted:

Just that it's not available outside my network, except it's like this even on other devices connected to the network too. Specifically my PS5, both it and my Plex PC are connected to the router by ethernet.

Scroll down 'Limit remote stream bitrate' what's that set to? Maybe it's so low that only sd can fit the speed?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
What’s the easiest way to get some YouTube videos for later viewing on my Plex? It doesn’t have to be automated. I tried YT-DL or whatever but I just don’t get command-line stuff. My brain hurts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

cryptoclastic posted:

What’s the easiest way to get some YouTube videos for later viewing on my Plex? It doesn’t have to be automated. I tried YT-DL or whatever but I just don’t get command-line stuff. My brain hurts.

I use this to grab YT videos https://jely2002.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ and it's been great. Can work for other links/sites with videos as well, but YMMV.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
If you're all dockerized MeTube is a nice web based frontend for grabbing YouTube videos and audio. It's what I use anyway and it's been great. Supports playlists too so you can create one and it'll grab everythin.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So.. are we keeping up to date with Plex server. I'm only 1 revision back at this point, but I wanna stop before **updates**. Prob a non-issue, but y'all are smarter than me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

deong posted:

So.. are we keeping up to date with Plex server. I'm only 1 revision back at this point, but I wanna stop before **updates**. Prob a non-issue, but y'all are smarter than me.

If you've got a port open on your router for it, you'd better keep it up to date.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

deong posted:

So.. are we keeping up to date with Plex server.

Yes. We keep up to date, or we move to something else. The third option is why nobody recommends LastPass any more.

Matt Zerella posted:

If you've got a port open on your router for it, you'd better keep it up to date.

:hmmyes:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm planning on doing an effortpost sometimes soon but I've abaondoned fighting with jellyfin and been running emby for the last couple of weeks. It's not just near feature parity with the plex features I care about, it's even better for IPTV and some other things. It's worst issue/not as good is setup for non-technical users. I know it too has it's own potential problems, but this is a real deal alternative.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

I'm planning on doing an effortpost sometimes soon but I've abaondoned fighting with jellyfin and been running emby for the last couple of weeks. It's not just near feature parity with the plex features I care about, it's even better for IPTV and some other things. It's worst issue/not as good is setup for non-technical users. I know it too has it's own potential problems, but this is a real deal alternative.

That was sort of my take too. Looking forward to reading your effortpost: I only installed it, scanned libraries, and played a couple minutes of a couple things.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm using the relay instead.
I'm just worried about feature creep. I'll update. Thx

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Scroll down 'Limit remote stream bitrate' what's that set to? Maybe it's so low that only sd can fit the speed?

No, this was the first thing I checked when it started happening. Also it unfucked itself? It was suddenly perfectly fine on my tablet when I got home from work last night so I'm gonna chalk it up to just Plex being really weird sometimes.

teagone posted:

I use this to grab YT videos https://jely2002.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ and it's been great. Can work for other links/sites with videos as well, but YMMV.

I use that for a bunch of sites but it's really slow for Youtube specifically which gets annoying. I've just taken to using YT-DLP because while I hate using command line stuff the extent of it is just typing yt-dlp [youtube url] which is nice and simple, and it handles playlists well too.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Is there a way in plex or tautulli or similar to find shows that haven't been watched or have been watched very little? I'm running into a bit of a space crunch and I think some of the stuff being downloaded isn't actually being watched by anyone.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Talorat posted:

Is there a way in plex or tautulli or similar to find shows that haven't been watched or have been watched very little? I'm running into a bit of a space crunch and I think some of the stuff being downloaded isn't actually being watched by anyone.

Maybe try https://github.com/jorenn92/Maintainerr

You can also do an unwatched filter in plex but I dont think that works across profiles

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tautulli will definitely do it. Libraries -> select the library you want to look at -> Media Info. There's a total plays column available and you can sort by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Emby Effortpost 1.0

Problem statement: With the increasing pace of news from Plex as a company diverging from my use case of a local media server into an ad-driven free-to-view content provider that probably sells user data and definitely wants to try to make viewing habits on their platform into a social media thing, I started looking at alternatives so I have something usable if and when the time comes to move on.

The setup: Ubuntu 22.02.4 LTS VM on and ESXi box with essentially unlimited RAM and CPU as they apply to a media server, GTX 1060 passed through to the VM, VM sotred on an iSCSI share of a TrueNAS box connectecd with 10 GigE, media and cache/metadata shares on the same TrueNAS box (different arrays) mounted to VM via NFS. Mostly views on TVs with Rokus, some windows client usage, some mobile usage. Plex, jellyfin and emby were all installed on this same VM for testing purposes.

Optimal? No. Perfectly adequate for the last 10 years of running Plex? Absolutely. I only added the GPU in the last couple of years because of the need to transcode 4K for some of my remote users. Lot of the suboptimal decisions are because this setup is not dedicated to just running a media server, so it needs to live within the ecosystem of my basement rack and the other things it's there to do. Some of those choices are literally "because I thought it would be interesting to do it this way/try out this feature in mini-production."

Attempt 1 - Jellyfin: Besides being what seems like 5 years behind in features, the Roku client was hot garbage when I started out with this several months ago. The Roku dev team pushed a major update a couple months ago and they deserve a ton of credit. It's got a lot of bugs and usability items to be hammered out still, but it's now modern, cohesive and doesn't look like an afterthought checkbox item on the project. I'm sure it will become and remain a first class Jellyfin client. But with that solved, what other problems do we have? Let's start with the ones I consider more minor:

- Login/sign up remote experience: Plex has this nailed from the UX standpoint. Jellyfin hasn't bothered to do anything at all that I can tell. You make local accounts and then give the credential to your remote user who accesses the server in whatever way you have rolled to make it remotely accessible. I actually DO like that it's straight up HTTP so I can just point my already existing and port forwarded nginx install at it and things just work. If you're not very technical of a user this could be a hurdle, but that's not most of us so whatever.

- Administration:
Setting up libraries is reasonably straightforward, but there are about a million drop down boxes and it's not clear what they do exactly and why one would want to change the defaults. It's still not clear why I have 7+ different places to set metadata providers (per library) but I guess somtimes you might want to grab episode posters from one provider, series posters from another, descriptions from yet a third and, etc, etc, etc.......but I can't think of why. But if you can this just might be the setup for you.

Retrieving metadata and generating preview thumbnails (the things you see on the timeline when fast forwarding in Plex if you have that enabled) starts happening after you add the library. There is no indication of this happening most times, no real way to see what is happening other than by greping log files, no clear idea of progress or time to completion and everything slows to a crawl. The UI is basically unusable, even from a web browser. But it's just for this pesky initial scan, right? So we'll carry on.

IPTV setup seems pretty straightforward. Add an m3u, add an XMLTV source and/or SchedulesDirect login and it should just work, right? Wrong. I can't even begin to make sense of half of the things that went wrong from missing data to missing channels to things being in the wrong order that are solved by removing the m3u or xmltv and re-adding them and letting it scan again. It's not clear when the schedules will automatically refresh or if they even do, setting EPG data to a channel happenin in a pop up box that you have to scroll through and is completely unsuited to more than a handfull of channels. Get over 20 or 30 and you're in trouble.

- User experience:
The Roku client is severely lacking in UX for IPTV viewing based on a guide, sorting, favoriting, etc (but I'm sure it will get better as previously mentioned).

There exists some third party plug in for detecting intros, but it doesn't work on most clients, and if you want it to work on some of them you need to use a custom build of jellyfin. I ain't got time for this nonsense for a table stakes feature.

Now you're just minding your own business watching something and it stops. And you can't even get you client logged back into the server. So you give up, go back to Plex and carry on. Then later on it just seems to work again. Huh, I wonder what that was.

Finally you figure out that it's whenever it scans the library. And a library scan with no new items that takes under 90 seconds in plex, just under 2 minutes in emby and 3 1/2 hours in jellyfin. So you do the logical thing and fling resources at it. MORE CORES MORE RAM. Run a scan again with top opened and see that it's stuck on one core that it's pinging to 100% load, then you start searching and find literally YEARS of bug tickets related to this with no or snarky resposes from the devs and project participants. Including that old badly managed open source gem: "it's open source so if it's a problem you should fix it yourself." Also many, many "it will be fixed in the next release" or indications that it's fixed with the bug closed out and then just more related bugs opened with basically no progress or resolution. GPU seems to be used for transcoding to clients, but not for library scans. Or is it? Sometimes it seems to be.

Not only is the scanner killing the UI a deal killer, the way the project is handling it makes the entire project a deal killer. This is not a community I'm interested in participating in. So I regretfully moved on to.....

Attempt 2: Emby

This looks like grown up Jellyfin, potentially heading down the same path as Plex, but it's not that yet. They are monitized like Plex used to be - gating transcoding and some other features behind a monthly subscription (Emby Premiere), but they are also set up to make the same mistakes (lifetime pass) that requires coming up with new revenue streams.

Let's go through a similar list as jellyfin: Login/signup is the same but there is also an emby account that you can make where you can invite people to your sever instead of making a local account. I haven't looked into this yet. Same deal as Jellyfin with remote access. In fact, it's on the exact same port which makes for extra work if you're setting both up on the same machine. One annoying thing that's more my setup/my problem is that the clients autofill the default port as 8096 and for some reason I haven't been able to wrangle my nginx Proxy manager container to listen on that port (this type of container complexity is why I tend to ruin things directly on VMs). This means people need to change the to 80 or 443 in the client during setup and it's just another step that shouldn't exist. This is not really an Emby problem, it's just something that needs solving in my existing overcomplicated infra.

Coming from the same project, the library setup and scans look similar, but a much more grown up UI/UX. There are intelligent choices for generating preview thumbnails and detecting intros on library scan or only as a scheduled job. The scheduled jobs are obvious in their function, have progress bars, inform you of last run and duration of that run, and easily changed in time and max duration from the GUI. Scanning the libraries, downloading metadata and even generating thumbnails and detecting intros has minimal to no performance hit on the UI and immediately used the detected GPU to do its magic.

IPTV setup is again straightforward but actually works as expected. If your EPG data isn't automatically matched or you have multiple sources for the same stream there is an entire tab listing your channels that you can easily navigate and change options on a per channel basis. SchedulesDirect integration works as expected.

User experience: the Roku client is great. All the things you expect just work, including a timed/disappearing button to skip intros. Libraries are easy to navigate, look somewhat like plex, require no real work to figure out and the general layout of libraries and sections is configurable per login so you only need to do this once and it will be reflected on, in my case, all the rokus in the house. The Roku client for Plex can't do that. The only miss is on IPTV.....it's entirely usable, but there is no good way to scroll through the guide quickly - part of this is the roku remote just doesn't have extra buttons for this. I don't really know how I'd sove it - the built in Roku Live TV app kinda suffers from the same issues but it's more responsive. Perhaps it would be fine if the Emby app was more responsive as well. In the end, I just number/sort channels so that the most used ones are the lowest numbers and enything else/weird/one time use you can tab over to the "tags" tab and find them however your IPTV provider categorized them. It would be nice if when choosing a tag you got a guide-style display instead of just channel logos. Recording live TV as individual shows/movies and series works as expected. Pausing live tv and then re-starting later doesn't seem to work well or perhaps for very long. Not a big deal for my use case so I haven't really looked into it yet.

It took a couple of weeks of scanning to get my entire library scraped and with intros detected, but now that it's all done I have feature parity with Plex - again at least for my use case. I have all libraries set to detect intros and generate thumbnails on library scan with the *rrs set to trigger a library scan on import and I've had absolutely zero UI or playback issues regardless of what's going on. Transcoding just works for everything as I expect on the GPU including live tv. No shocker there, it all works in Plex also. This is another table stakes thing.

I have a 2-way watched/unwatch sync happening between Plex and Emby with https://github.com/ArabCoders/watchstate . I find I'm using emby exclusively now and the other inmates are going between it and plex depending on if they are looking for livetv or not. YoutubeTV usage is significantly down (I want it to be sero so I can stop paying $80/month for it and just use the IPTV sub). Overall I'd say this is a success. I need to figure out if/how I transition my users that I shared the plex server with. Like for most of you, that's going to be easy for some, miserable for others based on how technical they are or aren't.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.