Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheScott2K posted:

Unless you're running off a powersaver 4200 RPM laptop hard drive you won't see a difference.

Figured as much, hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Atomizer posted:

Ah yeah, that's exactly the problem. You're not going to get far storing 25 GB files on a 128 GB SSD! You want to have perhaps 20% free space on an SSD at all times anyway, and all the more reason to get like a 4 TB HDD for your movies.

My movies are on an external hdd. The 128 is just windows 10 and PMS.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My Plex folder in AppData\Local takes up 6 gigs, that's interesting.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

TheScott2K posted:

My Plex folder in AppData\Local takes up 6 gigs, that's interesting.

Mine takes up about 32. 2800 movies, about 100 tv shows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cornjob posted:

Mine takes up about 32. 2800 movies, about 100 tv shows.

Interesting, mine is pretty big too and since it's on my system SSD, that's a huge chunk. Is it difficult to move the Plex folder to a different drive?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Medullah posted:

Interesting, mine is pretty big too and since it's on my system SSD, that's a huge chunk. Is it difficult to move the Plex folder to a different drive?

You can assign the location in settings.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Do you guys have video preview thumbnails enabled? These take a whole bunch of space (and CPU time to generate). They are also almost entirely pointless. You should be able to delete existing ones in the advanced settings for the library.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DashingGentleman posted:

Do you guys have video preview thumbnails enabled? These take a whole bunch of space (and CPU time to generate). They are also almost entirely pointless. You should be able to delete existing ones in the advanced settings for the library.

I don't, and my PMS folder in AppData/Local takes up 16GB.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

DashingGentleman posted:

I do not. Though come to think of it that would be handy for DVR recordings. I'm getting pretty good at guessing commercial break lengths but still.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Just checked and mine clocks in at 19 GB, so yeah, guess they do just get that big.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
600 movies and 100 shows. 12.5gb

stevewm
May 10, 2005
63GB here... I have thumbnail generation turned on though, I find them useful.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

stevewm posted:

63GB here... I have thumbnail generation turned on though, I find them useful.

So if i go to server>general and change "the path where local application data is stored" from <C:\users\cornjob\appdata\local> to somewhere else, like an external HDD, itll move my 32gb worth of metadata off my tiny 128ssd ?

Getting that 32gb off the main C drive would be a good thing.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Plex VM only has a 60gb OS drive (on an underlying SSD). With the cheap price of SSD, I don't see a reason to move it.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Moey posted:

My Plex VM only has a 60gb OS drive (on an underlying SSD). With the cheap price of SSD, I don't see a reason to move it.

Yeah just trying to avoid the pain in the rear end of cloning my 128 to a bigger ssd, then all the volume extension stuff. I have lots of space on my External HDD.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Cornjob posted:

So if i go to server>general and change "the path where local application data is stored" from <C:\users\cornjob\appdata\local> to somewhere else, like an external HDD, itll move my 32gb worth of metadata off my tiny 128ssd ?

Getting that 32gb off the main C drive would be a good thing.

I did this recently and it was super easy. Just one thing to keep in mind.

It will not move your existing metadata, it will create a brand new empty folder in the new path you've designated.
You can then just copy-paste your existing application data from the old folder to the new folder and voila, it will work perfectly. You may have to restart your Plex server but I didn't have any issues.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

unpurposed posted:

I did this recently and it was super easy. Just one thing to keep in mind.

It will not move your existing metadata, it will create a brand new empty folder in the new path you've designated.
You can then just copy-paste your existing application data from the old folder to the new folder and voila, it will work perfectly. You may have to restart your Plex server but I didn't have any issues.

I did this and now my PMS wont start. it immediately disappears from the system tray. I have repaired/reinstalled PMS to no avail. The crash logs folders are empty. Im not 100% convinced that moving the app data is the cause. it could be that this install of windows 10 (from someone else) has some issues.

before i go off to the plex forums, has anyone else encountered this?

Im considering erasing everything, and starting fresh.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 10, 2016

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Cornjob posted:

I did this and now my PMS wont start. it immediately disappears from the system tray. I have repaired/reinstalled PMS to no avail. The crash logs folders are empty. Im not 100% convinced that moving the app data is the cause. it could be that this install of windows 10 (from someone else) has some issues.

before i go off to the plex forums, has anyone else encountered this?

Im considering erasing everything, and starting fresh.

Oh that's terrible, I'm sorry that happened to you. I honestly didn't have any issues so I didn't run into this.

Did it create the new set of folders in the new location you designated?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Are there any channels that are worth a dick?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

89 posted:

The south park one is pretty good, all the episodes streaming in HD

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
The only channel I've found to work consistently is the Comedy Central one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

89 posted:

I use TwitchMod and YouTubeTV.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

89 posted:

NFL one is great if you have an international Gamepass subscription.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

unpurposed posted:

Oh that's terrible, I'm sorry that happened to you. I honestly didn't have any issues so I didn't run into this.

Did it create the new set of folders in the new location you designated?

Ok im losing my mind.

I went back to my old laptop as my plex media server.

Same problem. Plex server wont connect/crashes immediatly.

Completely uninstalling and deleting the PMS folder fromthe C drive, then reinstalling 1.xxx or even .9 version of PMS didnt fix it.

Both my old laptop and my nuc are running the absolute latest windows 10 update, and latest PMS version. Im wondering if the issue is on that end, rather than mine.

Edit. Uninstalling and reinstalling wont even create a PMS folder in
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\

Edit 2: (2 beers later). gently caress it. I did the reset windows thing. Now plex works. FML

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 11, 2016

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
a couple questions about PMS:

im trying to find the right balance between quality and bandwidth, when it comes to streaming to remote users.

1. Internet upload speed: you can set your speed under the "remote access" page. mine appears to be 6MBPS. right below that option, you can limit the remote stream bitrate. If I choose 20MPS, which setting wins? why wouldnt setting a 6MBPS upload speed limit the options under bitrate?

2. If i set the remote stream bitrate to 4MBPS (720p), does this spare by upload data at the expense of my CPU?

3. If 2 remote users are trying to stream simultaneously, is there a better chance of them experience hiccups if the CPU has to simultaneously transcode two 1080p movies down to 720?

4. direct streaming 1080p in my home network doesnt seem to task my CPU much at all. is it safe to assume that i can watch something in my network, and it wont jeopardize 1 or two remote streams happening simltaneously?

5. maximum simultaneously transcode: does watching a movie locally count against this total? is transcoding always required if i have an appleTV that cant play DTS?

summed up, where should my setting be, assuming i have a i5 dual core CPU, to get reliable performance for up to 3 users? im guessing tha answer to most of these is "it depends, because....."

thanks in adnavce

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 15, 2016

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
2. Yes
3. It depends, because.... we don't know what CPU you have. If you can tell us the actual model number that would help. Even then it depends because some media is harder to transcode than others depending on source bitrate, resolution, etc.
4. Yes. At that point you will probably be limited by hard drive transfer rate.
5. Check Plex server status to see what it's transcoding while you're streaming with your Apple TV. It is capable of transcoding audio only which is not nearly as taxing as transcoding video+audio.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cornjob posted:

1. Internet upload speed: you can set your speed under the "remote access" page. mine appears to be 6MBPS. right below that option, you can limit the remote stream bitrate. If I choose 20MPS, which setting wins? why wouldnt setting a 6MBPS upload speed limit the options under bitrate?

Do you mean your actual physical upstream connection is 6Mbps? Because if so, you should set any/all of those settings to that (or lower). Plex trying to push a 20Mbps stream out over a 6Mbps connection will just result in hellish buffering.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do you mean your actual physical upstream connection is 6Mbps? Because if so, you should set any/all of those settings to that (or lower). Plex trying to push a 20Mbps stream out over a 6Mbps connection will just result in hellish buffering.

Yes thats what i said. Also, why are "friends" allowed to change their stream settings? If i limit to 720, why are they given an option to change it back to 1080?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Yes thats what i said. Also, why are "friends" allowed to change their stream settings? If i limit to 720, why are they given an option to change it back to 1080?

The new bitrate limiter feature restricts any remote streams to whatever quality you set it at. Even if your friends try to change their quality settings to 10Mbps 1080p and you limited remote stream bitrates to 4Mbps 720p, their stream will max out at 4Mbps 720p. If you have PlexPy on your server, you can see the limiter at work by viewing the transcode details of their remote stream.

As an example, my internet upload maxes out at roughly 12Mbps. I am sharing my server with 3 families. I set my remote stream bitrate limit to 3Mbps 720p in the event that all 3 families are streaming something. Doing so ensures that they all experience no buffering issues, regardless of whatever setting they try to set the quality at on their end.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Welp, I officially give up on trying to get this thing to work now. I had all the ports forwarded properly and everything, it inexplicably no longer works and I get the feeling it's because I don't have a Plex Pass but I don't want to start plunking down money at these assholes if it still won't work.

I even tried setting my server to a DMZ temporarily to see if it would broadcast, and nope, still nothing. The Verizon FiOS Gateway router (not the ActionTec, which apparently is much easier to use) has total poo poo for software, but it should still work as a DMZ... no clue why this loving program won't work, and it's really drat frustrating since my entire family was using my server to watch stuff and now they're bugging me to figure out how to fix it and I got nothing. UPnP on or off, nothing. I'm not Double-NATed since I disconnected the other router (which it was working fine with before), and I'm just at a loss for what to do. It's especially frustrating since my girlfriend moved in and she has a Roku, which I can't put KODI on, so we're stuck relying on Plex or paying for terrible streaming services.

EDIT: The most annoying thing is when I try to reconnect and test it, it will initially flash that it's connected then immediately say I don't have access, which makes me think it's a Plex Pass issue and I DO have access but Plex is intentionally blocking my access. Supposedly you can still host a Media Server without a Plex Pass, so what the gently caress?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 16, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can't you just buy a goddamn month of it for $5, seeing as the software is pretty good and otherwise free?

You're using it to host others and spending $5 to see if it solves your problem is just too much. Jesus Christ

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

sellouts posted:

Can't you just buy a goddamn month of it for $5, seeing as the software is pretty good and otherwise free?

You're using it to host others and spending $5 to see if it solves your problem is just too much. Jesus Christ

That shouldn't be a reason for me to not be able to host the server, though. It specifically says you can host for free, and I literally don't care about a single option the Plex Pass affords me. I think the problem probably isn't the Plex Pass, and I can't find anyone else having the same issue.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I get the feeling it's because I don't have a Plex Pass but I don't want to start plunking down money at these assholes if it still won't work.

Fuzz posted:

which makes me think it's a Plex Pass issue

Fuzz posted:

I think the problem probably isn't the Plex Pass,

got it.

I cannot imagine not spending the $5 to see if it solves it. If it doesn't, welp, spent $5 supporting a piece of software written by humans that my entire family uses.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Shot in the dark, but I had a brief time a few weeks back after an update where I was unable to get access at all from inside or outside the LAN. I tracked it down to some issues with requiring secure connections, and it seemed like the server wasn't actually accepting it when I set it to accept insecure. Up to that point I had never had to do anything to get access inside my lan, just plug in a roku and it would find it. What ended up solving it was having every device, even inside the LAN logged in, and forcing secure connections.

edit: I do not have plex pass, so in my case that was not related.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That's another thing, even on my network my other devices can't see the server. Plex Pass didn't help.

Any other FiOS people with the Gateway router? How did you set yours up?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I know you don't want this answer, but it's a network issue, not a plex issue.
Those routers can and will gently caress around with various types of discovery packets that LAN services use. You may also have something else on the network that breaks things in a way you don't expect. e.g. Sonos won't connect over [some] homeplugs because they use certain discovery services and filter others.

I remember last time you stopped any diagnosis because it just started working on it's own. I would suggest checking every device to see if they can actually ping one another / are on the same subnet and go from there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fuzz posted:

That's another thing, even on my network my other devices can't see the server. Plex Pass didn't help.

Any other FiOS people with the Gateway router? How did you set yours up?

What's your other router?

Did you try putting the Gateway into bridge mode? It's apparently weird and not straightforward on the fios. This forum post seems pretty helpful?

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?38248

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

sellouts posted:

What's your other router?

Did you try putting the Gateway into bridge mode? It's apparently weird and not straightforward on the fios. This forum post seems pretty helpful?

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?38248

It's not even connected right now and I'm only using the Gateway currently, specifically to debug this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Right. I'd take the gateway routing out of the equation by disabling it and using your real router if at all possible.

But the idea I linked seems a bit complex depending on your wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

sellouts posted:

Right. I'd take the gateway routing out of the equation by disabling it and using your real router if at all possible.

But the idea I linked seems a bit complex depending on your wiring.

I tried to put the Gateway into bridge mode but that's when it starts having Double-NAT issues. The way I ended up having the two of them setup was actually with the second router being in Bridge and just assigning IPs from the Gateway. The Gateway actually is a pretty decent router since I have a 1 bedroom apartment... covers the whole thing and does AC, so I don't care. Literally the only reason I had the other router was for my 3DS to connect to because it can't connect to the Gateway because Nintendo is loving stupid and 3DSes are super finnicky.