Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underscoremx
Apr 4, 2011

Housh posted:

Yeah, no DNLA on PS4 yet. I just picked up a Chromecast cause they are cheap and once PS4 gets DNLA I can use the Chromecast on my 2nd TV in the basement. So far it works great with Plex and Crunchyroll but the perplexing thing is I can't get it to play YouTube videos in HD using the official app. I guess that's a question for the Chromecast thread.

If you're using the official app for andriod, then you have to set the default video setting to HD on the device(android phone for me) in order for it to play in HD on the chromecast. It's not blatantly obvious where to set this and it took me more than a few tries to figure it out but it's there.

edit:
While you're playing a video, hit the 3 dots in the upper right, then hit the gear in the middle of the screen, then choose 720p for quality. The "Auto" setting doesnt choose HD when playing in chromecast for whatever reason but if you force 720p it'll carry over.

underscoremx fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

underscoremx posted:

If you're using the official app for andriod, then you have to set the default video setting to HD on the device(android phone for me) in order for it to play in HD on the chromecast. It's not blatantly obvious where to set this and it took me more than a few tries to figure it out but it's there.

So where is it?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

chemosh6969 posted:

So where is it?

I'm using the iOS app and I found it. I'm sure it's the same as the andriod. It's the top right button that looks like a sideways ellipses. Click that and there will be a cog icon that says "Quality." I set it to 720p on one video and now the rest seem to be set as 720p default.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Housh posted:

I'm using the iOS app and I found it. I'm sure it's the same as the andriod. It's the top right button that looks like a sideways ellipses. Click that and there will be a cog icon that says "Quality." I set it to 720p on one video and now the rest seem to be set as 720p default.

Thanks. Found it the second time I looked on my android. The app hadn't connected to my PC the first time but now that it did, there's a couple of quality settings that weren't there before.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I stumbled on PlexConnect this weekend and now I'm making the switch from XBMC to Plex so that I can use my AppleTV for everything instead of loving around with having an HTPC for some stuff and an Apple TV for other stuff. It seems really cool so far except for one thing: Full library updates take for-loving-ever and I can't seem to find a way to just update a single TV show, meaning that the process of adding a new episode includes about a 15 minute lag time while my entire library is scanned. My library includes about 100 shows spread out across two USB drives. The drives are samba shared from a Ubuntu box and then mounted on my beefy windows machine which I'm using as my Plex Server.

So, two questions:

1) Is there any way to tell Plex to just run an update for a single show? I used to use this frequently in XBMC to get around slow library updates.

2) Failing that, how much of a speed increase would I see if I were to move my library to some internal drives on the machine that's running Plex Server? Are library updates generally fast for people who have their hardware set up that way?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

prom candy posted:

So, two questions:

1) Is there any way to tell Plex to just run an update for a single show? I used to use this frequently in XBMC to get around slow library updates.

2) Failing that, how much of a speed increase would I see if I were to move my library to some internal drives on the machine that's running Plex Server? Are library updates generally fast for people who have their hardware set up that way?

1) Are you referring to new media added and metadata population? If so, just hit the refresh button on the selected show's sidebar to update it/fetch metadata after any changes/additions to your library (see below):

2) I have a dedicated Plex server with 8 hard drives (5 internal, 3 external USB). Whenever I add new media and update the library manually, the process is pretty fast. Sometimes metadata will take a few seconds to populate, but typically the changes/additions are instant.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks, I tried hitting refresh after adding a new episode to the folder but it didn't do anything. It's possible that it got queued behind another update though. I'm going to try attaching one of my drives directly to my windows machine to see if that's faster, I think samba might be the bottle neck.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

prom candy posted:

Thanks, I tried hitting refresh after adding a new episode to the folder but it didn't do anything. It's possible that it got queued behind another update though. I'm going to try attaching one of my drives directly to my windows machine to see if that's faster, I think samba might be the bottle neck.

I really think the network is the issue. Does the linux box have the juice to transcode? If so, why not just install plex media server there and cut the windows machine out altogether.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The Linux box probably doesn't have the juice to transcode. Plus if I don't need it to be an HTPC I'd rather just remove it from the equation altogether. Anyway, you were right, it was the network. I plugged the USB drive directly into the box and after the initial scan subsequent updates are near-instant. Thanks guys.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Well after getting the scan and update thing fixed I have to say that Plex has really come a long way since I last tried it a few years ago. The library management is top notch compared to XBMC and I love the client/server idea of it. I have all my files added, I moved some files from one hard drive to another without having to redownload all the metadata, I'm streaming to my Apple TV and (temporarily) to PlexBMC on the bedroom HTPC, and I've cleared a ton of cables and hard drives and poo poo away from the TV area and put them under my desk now that I can use my gaming rig as my central media server as well. And my girlfriend is all impressed because now we have just the Apple TV that powers all of our media instead of having to swap between that and the HTPC. When I last used Plex it just felt like a complete XBMC knockoff but it's really cool now.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008
Now that I've started sharing my plex server with friends and family I wanted to figure out how much they're actually using it (partially to make sure I can support it and partially so I can make fun of their Boy Meets World marathons).

This led me to installing plexwatch (not too tough) which gave me a basic console view of the info, but I wanted to upgrade it with plexwatch/web or plexwwwatch or some kind of interface. If you're on linux, running an apache server, etc...then they supposedly work, but after fighting with those for a while I found the answer:

https://plexnotify.codeplex.com/

Windows only, but it's easy to install, configure, and play with (so far). Anyone else played with it yet?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I use plex notify to get notifications via Pushover on my phone. It's pretty slick and works well, but the UI is weird. I'll probably drop it though because I've done nothing with the information except weird out my friends who have found out I know what they watch, when they watch it, etc.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've just learned of all of this via this thread. I would be interested to know for a given stream (local or remote) what the speed value was so i can gauge over time how effective my hardware / network is... is this possible with plexwatch ?

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

Roundboy posted:

I would be interested to know for a given stream (local or remote) what the speed value was so i can gauge over time how effective my hardware / network is... is this possible with plexwatch ?

I have it set to notify on buffering and connection errors, but there isn't anything specifically for network/hardware monitoring. I figure if it doesn't notify on those conditions then it must be fine with the current streams.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Ive been using XBMC with local media for years, and I love it. My collection is all neatly organized, and XBMC scrapes it without issue. I tried Plex on my laptop based on a friends suggestion and it was impresssive. I decided to set it up at home. It works perfectly on my laptop. but Im having issues on my PC.

The server running on my PC will not scrape any titles. i dont beleive i did anything differently on my PC. im assuming its an issue with my PC and not plex.

ideas?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cornjob posted:

Ive been using XBMC with local media for years, and I love it. My collection is all neatly organized, and XBMC scrapes it without issue. I tried Plex on my laptop based on a friends suggestion and it was impresssive. I decided to set it up at home. It works perfectly on my laptop. but Im having issues on my PC.

The server running on my PC will not scrape any titles. i dont beleive i did anything differently on my PC. im assuming its an issue with my PC and not plex.

ideas?

In the library setup are you sure you selected the correct metadata agent?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

GutBomb posted:

In the library setup are you sure you selected the correct metadata agent?

under "edit library > advanced" it has scanner set to "plex movie scanner" and agent is set to "freebase".

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cornjob posted:

under "edit library > advanced" it has scanner set to "plex movie scanner" and agent is set to "freebase".

Try setting it to themoviedb instead and see what happens.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

CrispKing posted:

I have it set to notify on buffering and connection errors, but there isn't anything specifically for network/hardware monitoring. I figure if it doesn't notify on those conditions then it must be fine with the current streams.

well speed < 1 is technically transcoding falling behind play

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

GutBomb posted:

Try setting it to themoviedb instead and see what happens.

Under settings > server > agents > movies > freebase

themovieDB is already checked, along with all the other agents. ill try unchecking all except themovieDB

i checked the settings on my laptop (which is working fine) and the settings are duplicated. the issue persists.

if i try clicking on an individual movie, the "fix incorrect match" function results in a " no matches were found using this agent" , regardless of which agent i select.

if i run XBMC on the very same machine, scanning the same folder, it works fine.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 16, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cornjob posted:

Under settings > server > agents > movies > freebase

themovieDB is already checked, along with all the other agents. ill try unchecking all except themovieDB

i checked the settings on my laptop (which is working fine) and the settings are duplicated. the issue persists.

if i try clicking on an individual movie, the "fix incorrect match" function results in a " no matches were found using this agent" , regardless of which agent i select.

if i run XBMC on the very same machine, scanning the same folder, it works fine.

I mean in the library itself in the drop down that says freebase try themoviedb there. I don't know if that will work, it's just my best guess.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

GutBomb posted:

I mean in the library itself in the drop down that says freebase try themoviedb there. I don't know if that will work, it's just my best guess.

i though thats what i tried earlier. next to "movies" on the left most sidebar, there is pencil icon that brings up "edit library". under "advanced", you can choose "scanner" and "agent". under agent, the choices are "Cine21" "freebase" and "personal Media". there is no direct selection for TheMovieDB.
is this what youre referring to?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cornjob posted:

i though thats what i tried earlier. next to "movies" on the left most sidebar, there is pencil icon that brings up "edit library". under "advanced", you can choose "scanner" and "agent". under agent, the choices are "Cine21" "freebase" and "personal Media". there is no direct selection for TheMovieDB.
is this what youre referring to?

Yeah I must be remembering wrong. I was having trouble with some tv shows matching so I switched from freebase to thetvdb and I got it mixed up with movies. Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. Could it be your folder structure or file names?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

GutBomb posted:

Yeah I must be remembering wrong. I was having trouble with some tv shows matching so I switched from freebase to thetvdb and I got it mixed up with movies. Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. Could it be your folder structure or file names?

as i mentioned, its organized cleanly, and Plex running on my laptop has no issue with the same files and settings. its isolated to my PC.

I have a folder named "Movies" and the movies are labeled as such: Dawn of The Dead (1978)

I wondered if it was some type of internet connection issue, but that doesnt make sense, as XBMC on the same PC scrapes metadata without issue.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 17, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have way too many files that are not at all tagged and arranged properly. Is there a way to get plex to skip the automatic media re-jiggering and just display a heirarchial list?

I still want to use plex to stream media, just not to organize it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think it really organizes anything. It scans whatever folders you tell it to and makes its best guess about what each file is. It usually does a decent job unless the files have some unusually nonsensical naming scheme. The organization is all in its internal database; the files themselves should remain untouched.

Maybe there is a way to skip the nice database and just show you a plain file-browser kind of interface?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
At least in the iOS app you can choose to browse "by folder" but you lose the pretty metadata.

Scrapping doesn't rearrange or change your files. It's nice. Let the magic happen.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
All the clients I've used can browse by folder. I agree that Plex needs a lot of work in how it handles stuff it can't automatically pull metadata for, thoughstuff like music DVDs, bonus materials for movies, random internet downloads, etc. I really want a way to build a browsable hierarchy that works like a TV Shows library, letting you set up artwork and metadata for each level in the tree, but which doesn't make you pretend things are in numbered "seasons", and which gives you a way to export the metadata so you don't lose it if you reorganize things.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Cornjob posted:

as i mentioned, its organized cleanly, and Plex running on my laptop has no issue with the same files and settings. its isolated to my PC.

I have a folder named "Movies" and the movies are labeled as such: Dawn of The Dead (1978)

I wondered if it was some type of internet connection issue, but that doesnt make sense, as XBMC on the same PC scrapes metadata without issue.

Have you tried just deleting and re-adding that library on your PC? Also this seems dumb but make sure you've added your Movies folder as movies and your TV Shows folder as TV shows.

Edit: Also I just switched after being a long, long time user of XBMC and I'm really loving Plex, don't let this turn you off!

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have way too many files that are not at all tagged and arranged properly. Is there a way to get plex to skip the automatic media re-jiggering and just display a heirarchial list?

I still want to use plex to stream media, just not to organize it.

I don't know if this is what you want but I made a folder for all my misc video files. When I set it up in Plex, I labeled the library as Home Video. In the advanced settings for this library, I set scanner to Plex Video Files Scanner and agent to Personal Media. It populates the library alphabetically without changing anything. However, it also removes all sub folders and spits everything out onto the main page/dashboard. I haven't looked into if its possible to regain sub folders.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I don't know if this is what you want but I made a folder for all my misc video files. When I set it up in Plex, I labeled the library as Home Video. In the advanced settings for this library, I set scanner to Plex Video Files Scanner and agent to Personal Media. It populates the library alphabetically without changing anything. However, it also removes all sub folders and spits everything out onto the main page/dashboard. I haven't looked into if its possible to regain sub folders.

You can view by folder in any library so I think that's what you want.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

prom candy posted:

Have you tried just deleting and re-adding that library on your PC? Also this seems dumb but make sure you've added your Movies folder as movies and your TV Shows folder as TV shows.

Edit: Also I just switched after being a long, long time user of XBMC and I'm really loving Plex, don't let this turn you off!

Its an issue isolated to my PC. Following the same steps on my laptop, everything works great. i have tried deleting and re-adding. no luck.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Do I need the Plex app to play media on my Chromecast from my phone? I'm not sure if I need the app or if my CC just isn't getting any signal from my router.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

Do I need the Plex app to play media on my Chromecast from my phone? I'm not sure if I need the app or if my CC just isn't getting any signal from my router.

Yeah you need the app. From the Plex app you tell it to play on your chromecast.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

Yes you need either apps or you can also cast from your plex server website on your computer. Can you cast from the youtube app? Sounds like you need to turn off client isolation or something. https://support.google.com/chromecast/?hl=en#topic=3447927

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Burden posted:

Yeah you need the app. From the Plex app you tell it to play on your chromecast.

kri kri posted:

Yes you need either apps or you can also cast from your plex server website on your computer. Can you cast from the youtube app? Sounds like you need to turn off client isolation or something. https://support.google.com/chromecast/?hl=en#topic=3447927

I can cast from Youtube and from my browser, I was hoping I could do the same from Plex/web on my phone. Thanks!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bbcisdabomb posted:

I can cast from Youtube and from my browser, I was hoping I could do the same from Plex/web on my phone. Thanks!

Yeah, to my knowledge you can only cast from the Plex Web app via a PC or notebook. From the phone you're going to need the actual Plex app, which you get free if you subscribe to Plex Pass (for Android/Roku users only). If you don't subscribe to Plex Pass or have an iOS device, you're going to need to purchase the app via Google Play or the App Store.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Plex app is well worth the $2 or whatever it is. Very solid, nice looking app.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm very confused - I tried to stream an episode of a show to my tablet yesterday, Plex server set up just fine on my main computer and streams just fine to my HTPC, but when I tried to use the Plex app to stream to my Android tablet it said "Unable to view this type of media". I tried to stream it to my phone and it worked just fine there (Android as well). My tablet is a bit long in the tooth, and I think only on 4.1 - would that have anything to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Medullah posted:

I'm very confused - I tried to stream an episode of a show to my tablet yesterday, Plex server set up just fine on my main computer and streams just fine to my HTPC, but when I tried to use the Plex app to stream to my Android tablet it said "Unable to view this type of media". I tried to stream it to my phone and it worked just fine there (Android as well). My tablet is a bit long in the tooth, and I think only on 4.1 - would that have anything to do with it?

I've had this issue before when I set up the plex client on the tablet to not transcode audio. It was trying to send audio that the tablet couldn't decode, and thus wouldn't work. So check your settings on your tablet and compare them to your phone.