Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cornjob posted:

So set it to "original" or "directstream" in my client? And my family members in other households wouldnt have a choice here, i assume

Yes, under "Video Quality" in the Plex app settings on your Apple TV, make sure auto adjust quality is off, and home streaming is set to maximum. Your family members will have a choice, but your server's remote settings overrule their client settings. So even if they have their video quality setting set to 8 Mbps or 10Mbps in their Plex client, and you have your server set to a single remote stream limit to 4Mbps, their stream will be transcoded and sent at 4Mbps regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Yes, under "Video Quality" in the Plex app settings on your Apple TV, make sure auto adjust quality is off, and home streaming is set to maximum. Your family members will have a choice, but your server's remote settings overrule their client settings. So even if they have their video quality setting set to 8 Mbps or 10Mbps in their Plex client, and you have your server set to a single remote stream limit to 4Mbps, their stream will be transcoded and sent at 4Mbps regardless.

Thanks again. what about "transcoder quality" and "h264 preset" in my transcoder settings? im going with "higher speed" and "ultra fast" respectively. Id rather they see lower quality than experience drop outs.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 12, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Thanks again. what about "transcoder quality" and "h264 preset" in my transcoder settings? im going with "higher speed" and "ultra fast" respectively. if rather they see lower quality than experience drop outs.

What are the specs of your laptop again? My Plex server is just a Athlon II X4 840, and I have my transcoder settings set to "Automatic" and background x264 preset set to very fast and never seemed to have any issues. So if your CPU is better than mine, I think your settings should be fine.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

What are the specs of your laptop again? My Plex server is just a Athlon II X4 840, and I have my transcoder settings set to "Automatic" and background x264 preset set to very fast and never seemed to have any issues. So if your CPU is better than mine, I think your settings should be fine.

i73632QM quad core
8gb ram
250gb ssd

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it possible that the real bottleneck isn't the CPU, but the USB interface? USB drives aren't generally known for their performance, and if you have everything hanging on a single USB port, you're taking a small amount of bandwidth and splitting it up big time.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it possible that the real bottleneck isn't the CPU, but the USB interface? USB drives aren't generally known for their performance, and if you have everything hanging on a single USB port, you're taking a small amount of bandwidth and splitting it up big time.

Theyre not all simultaneously streaming content

Update: plugging them all into one usb 3.0 powered hub, they are all recognized. Time to test

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 12, 2017

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I am glad it works for you but sooner or later you are headed for a minor disaster, you know that right. If it's just downloaded movies and such you don't care that much about maybe it doesn't matter but you'd be far better off with a solution actually designed to solve this problem rather than scotch-taping one together.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Ixian posted:

I am glad it works for you but sooner or later you are headed for a minor disaster, you know that right. If it's just downloaded movies and such you don't care that much about maybe it doesn't matter but you'd be far better off with a solution actually designed to solve this problem rather than scotch-taping one together.

Yes its temporary until i get larger/fewer drives.

Its my own rips, and theyre backed up on other drives.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Plex Android app can now playback media files off of local storage https://www.plex.tv/blog/open-play-...yback+June+2017

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Is it possible to force plex to transcode all audio to 5.1 ac3 but direct play the video?

After some recent updates I discovered by accident that my TV can pass though surround sound for ac3 but nothing else. After watching a couple of my shows in surround sound I can't go back to stereo for my movies because of the DTS track :(

I'm using an nvidia shield with the plex server on a windows pc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cheese Bridge Area posted:

Is it possible to force plex to transcode all audio to 5.1 ac3 but direct play the video?

After some recent updates I discovered by accident that my TV can pass though surround sound for ac3 but nothing else. After watching a couple of my shows in surround sound I can't go back to stereo for my movies because of the DTS track :(

There should be a setting in the Plex app on the Shield to disable DTS audio somewhere.

[edit] Somewhere where you can checkbox to enable/disable AC3, DTS, DTS-HD audio playback. Maybe I wrong. I don't have a Shield myself to test out.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 14, 2017

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

teagone posted:

The Plex Android app can now playback media files off of local storage https://www.plex.tv/blog/open-play-...yback+June+2017

That's awesome. Good bye MX Player with your terrible UI and VLC with your crashing

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Cheese Bridge Area posted:

teagone posted:

There should be a setting in the Plex app on the Shield to disable DTS audio somewhere.

[edit] Somewhere where you can checkbox to enable/disable AC3, DTS, DTS-HD audio playback. Maybe I wrong. I don't have a Shield myself to test out.

Yeah so I just spent the evening messing around with various settings and couldn't get it to work. The audio defaults to LPCM that only plays in 2 speakers when it cannot passthrough. Apparently Kodi is capable of what I'm after, but the setting below is from kodi on windows, that transcode setting is also on my android phone but is missing on the kodi expert settings on the shield.

Downloaded SPMC and couldn't find the setting either even though one of the updates mentions and AC3 encoder fix

16.5.1 (2016/12/08):

FIX: 4K on AFTV2
FIX: Crash in new Network code
FIX: Crash when exiting on aarch64
FIX: Crash on AML 6.01 FW
ADD: Limit AC3 encoder to 384kb/s with Quality < High

Just now my only reliable solution is to add an AC3 track using Xmedia Recode along side the DTS audio for each file.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm having trouble with low audio when using Plex on a Roku Ultra. The files audio is fine when played back in VLC. But when played back on the Roku (remote stream if that matters) the audio is so low I have to max the volume in order to hear and that sometimes isn't even enough.

According to Mediainfo the files is in stereo (AAC-LC) so I don't think it could be the Roku is only playing the center channel. The audio is also I've set the server to direct play AAC audio and to boost multichannel audio but I believe this is only for the web player.

Any ideas on where to look before I start looking into using ffmpeg to convert and boost the audio on a per file basis?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

diremonk posted:

I'm having trouble with low audio when using Plex on a Roku Ultra. The files audio is fine when played back in VLC. But when played back on the Roku (remote stream if that matters) the audio is so low I have to max the volume in order to hear and that sometimes isn't even enough.

According to Mediainfo the files is in stereo (AAC-LC) so I don't think it could be the Roku is only playing the center channel. The audio is also I've set the server to direct play AAC audio and to boost multichannel audio but I believe this is only for the web player.

Any ideas on where to look before I start looking into using ffmpeg to convert and boost the audio on a per file basis?

Check to make sure your Roku Ultra audio settings are set to stereo in the actual Roku device settings, not the Plex app settings. See if that makes a difference.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I want a client device that does pretty much damned everything (HDR, HEVC/x265/maybe whatever comes next support, all the audio formats up to Atmos/DTS-X etc) when it comes to Plex but don't care about anything else, is the Roku Ultra the way to go? I heard about some audio issues that'll be resolved in a firmware update, but anything else to consider? I have a big OLED 4K screen and will be upgrading my audio gear this year or next, so want to future proof the best I can and kill any transcoding from local source.

I love my Apple TV and will be keeping it for pretty much everything else I expect. e: I also have an Xbone but it doesn't direct stream the HEVC/x265 stuff in 4K, nor does the LG app on the TV.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 21, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Buying an entire box just for Plex seems like missing the point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How so? Most of the boxes are compromises in various ways, so I'd rather buy something that does everything I could ever need of for Plex, and use my Apple TV for pretty much everything else (including Plex when it works fine).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I want a client device that does pretty much damned everything (HDR, HEVC/x265/maybe whatever comes next support, all the audio formats up to Atmos/DTS-X etc) when it comes to Plex but don't care about anything else, is the Roku Ultra the way to go? I heard about some audio issues that'll be resolved in a firmware update, but anything else to consider? I have a big OLED 4K screen and will be upgrading my audio gear this year or next, so want to future proof the best I can and kill any transcoding from local source.

I love my Apple TV and will be keeping it for pretty much everything else I expect. e: I also have an Xbone but it doesn't direct stream the HEVC/x265 stuff in 4K, nor does the LG app on the TV.

Don't believe the Roku Ultra can passthrough DTS-HD, DTS-X, FLAC/PCM 5.1+ etc. audio. If you want a streaming device that supports basically every video/audio codec, get the Nvidia Shield or build a custom HTPC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's a shame, the Shield was on my radar but as I didn't need to run server on it I hoped the Ultra could save some costs. Maybe something will come out soon that'll fulfill everything so I don't have to go the HTPC route as I'd prefer appliances at the TV and keep all the actual tech nerdery in another room.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The AMlogic s905 "Android TV" boxes (not Google's official Android TV, just Android mobile installed on a TV box by some guys in China) supports h265 in 8bit and 10bit format, and has the horsepower to play 4K files. It's followup, S905X, also supports HDR but does not have gigabit Ethernet, just 100mb.

If you want to know where to buy these, google s905. They're usually sold by third party Amazon retailers, and Chinese resellers on Aliexpress and eBay who will take a few weeks to ship it to you from China. There's a little bit of no-name jank since all these sorts of devices are often used as kind of unstable Kodi boxes that are usually loaded up with add-ons for pirated stuff, but if you just want to run Plex and Netflix etc on them you're probably fine.

If you're attached to spending money on quality product, since you already mentioned you're an Apple TV owner, it's widely expected that at some Apple event (iPhone September?) there will be a 4K Apple TV with all this stuff. Part of the reason this stuff is slow to adopt is 4K providers are few and HDR providers are basically just Netflix, but given that Netflix does have 4K HDR content and Apple announce they're also getting Amazon Video on-board and Amazon has a UHD Fire TV, I'm guessing the next Apple TV will do darn near everything you need to do. And in true Apple fashion, if it won't do it, then you didn't need to do it/should change your expectations to meet Apple's.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 21, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll take a look into that, thanks. I don't mind having something Android based if I'm not totally relying on it and it doesn't cost the earth.

I'm pretty sure I know where the next Apple TV will be, and it'll be their own versions of codecs and the audio will still be transcoded regardless. It's a great piece of kit and Plex runs super nice on it, but it's not going to be the answer to running 4K outside of their sources and Netflix/Amazon I expect.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just came upon a movie in my collection that somehow got it's 5.1 channels mixed up. All the dialogue is coming out of the right channel.

Is there some program that looks at the AC3 track of an .mkv file and tells you how the channels are layed out? And also hopefully allows you to switch them? I'm hoping it's just some metadata flag that has to change, but it's probably more complicated than that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'll take a look into that, thanks. I don't mind having something Android based if I'm not totally relying on it and it doesn't cost the earth.

I'm pretty sure I know where the next Apple TV will be, and it'll be their own versions of codecs and the audio will still be transcoded regardless. It's a great piece of kit and Plex runs super nice on it, but it's not going to be the answer to running 4K outside of their sources and Netflix/Amazon I expect.

Uhhhh... what?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Based on familiarity with how Apple tend to do things and the current experience in the second part. Sorry for confusion, currently moving house and typing a bit sloppy. No insider knowledge!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Based on familiarity with how Apple tend to do things and the current experience in the second part. Sorry for confusion, currently moving house and typing a bit sloppy. No insider knowledge!

They're actively embracing x265 on iOS and macOS and the appletv supports standard codecs. Just not a lot of the new ones. If anything I expect DTSHD and DTS:x/Atmos support on the new one when it drops. As well as 4k. They really haven't been like that for years unless you count AAC.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Uhm...Apple supports the normal poo poo, it's not 2005. The new one will probably catch up with the 4K standards. Hell, the reason why they skipped 4K with the last one was probably that they weren't set yet.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 22, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If anything, I don't think the new Apple TV will support DTS, DTS-HD, or DTS-X audio. All the content in the iTunes store have Dolby audio tracks, so Dolby Atmos and TrueHD sure, maybe. I doubt they're going to support an audio format that is not present in their catalogue of media.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

4K quicktime mov files are the bomb</sarcasm>

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So I have about 600 DVDs that, let's face it, aren't getting touched in the world of Digital. I'm debating ripping them. I know that Plex can't read straight ISOs, but I kind of want to rip the ISOs and mount them to watch special features. Are there any recommendations to meet in the middle? I haven't ripped DVDs in years, and there it was just DVD Decrypter and Handbrake.

I want to clear out that space for my Transformers toys so I can ensure I stay single for the rest of my life.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's $35. If you want to spend a little more to remove some jank and get better DTS support, look at the Xiamoi MiBox. It's $80 at Walmart, it runs the real Android TV (with the live TV Plex client, if you're into that), and it's maintained by an actual company rather than some fly-by-night "ALL TV [KODI] ON DEMAND" outfit. It also supports HDR.

Something I didn't think about is the S90 line has a little less amazing sound options. Because I got rid of my Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver setup 15 years ago for two channels and a sound bar, I've totally forgotten what it's like to have nice sound and that some people still value that. As you can see in that linked review, the MiBox blows it away for wifi transfer speeds as well.

Medullah posted:

So I have about 600 DVDs that, let's face it, aren't getting touched in the world of Digital. I'm debating ripping them. I know that Plex can't read straight ISOs, but I kind of want to rip the ISOs and mount them to watch special features. Are there any recommendations to meet in the middle? I haven't ripped DVDs in years, and there it was just DVD Decrypter and Handbrake.

I want to clear out that space for my Transformers toys so I can ensure I stay single for the rest of my life.

Plex has the option to manually include rips of the special features if you want to include those, you just have to keep the naming convention in mind.

Buying a Plex Pass also automatically adds the publicly available trailers and interviews for any movie in your collection, though it probably won't include deleted scenes and stuff from the disc.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 22, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

teagone posted:

If anything, I don't think the new Apple TV will support DTS, DTS-HD, or DTS-X audio. All the content in the iTunes store have Dolby audio tracks, so Dolby Atmos and TrueHD sure, maybe. I doubt they're going to support an audio format that is not present in their catalogue of media.

Exactly, and there's talk of them going to a different file format than HEVC. Only time will tell, but I'm not going to be surprised if they roll out a device that's not widely compatible with formats other people use.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

It's $35. If you want to spend a little more to remove some jank and get better DTS support, look at the Xiamoi MiBox. It's $80 at Walmart, it runs the real Android TV (with the live TV Plex client, if you're into that), and it's maintained by an actual company rather than some fly-by-night "ALL TV [KODI] ON DEMAND" outfit. It also supports HDR.

To my knowledge the Mi Box cannot passthrough DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD audio. Best it supports is Dolby Digital Plus and regular DTS.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

teagone posted:

To my knowledge the Mi Box cannot passthrough DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD audio. Best it supports is Dolby Digital Plus and regular DTS.

Yeah my general point was, if you want UHD, your options for audio are a little limited. Like I said, when I wrote the above post about Chinese Android boxes, I didn't even think to go look up audio codecs, because I'm a stereo-using idiot who doesn't even really grok what "HD Audio" is and hasn't had nice sound since the days of optical cables coming out of a DVD player.

Basically, it beat, "I shouldn't have even posted, sorry." Which is probably what I should have said.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 22, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Medullah posted:

I've been using MakeMKV to do the ripping, and it'll let you choose between the titles (i.e. the main feature and any extras) although they're not explicitly named in the program. You'll end up with the files you want but may have to go back and play the DVD to manually name the special content.

Then I use Handbrake to transcode to HEVC (although AVC would also be fine) to get better compression than MPEG-2 or whatever the hell they used on DVDs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Exactly, and there's talk of them going to a different file format than HEVC. Only time will tell, but I'm not going to be surprised if they roll out a device that's not widely compatible with formats other people use.

Link please, because everything I've seen from the keynote is the complete opposite of this. High Sierra and iOS11 enable x265 on devices going back to 2016.

If you're referring to some weird proprietary thing for photo/video compression on iCloud, then who cares?

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
Maybe you got confused by the new HEIF container format, which supports HEVC and will probably be used more for images than video.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dem Bones posted:

Maybe you got confused by the new HEIF container format, which supports HEVC and will probably be used more for images than video.

Yeah I looked it up last night and it was possibly this. If a new one ticks all my boxes then that'd be great, as pretty much every machine I use regularly is Apple so it makes my life easier. I'll just relegate the old one to a bedroom TV then.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
My appletv 4 keeps freezing while playing giving me a "the connection to server isnt fast enough, try a lower quality" message.

This is on my local network, wifi connection. The server is barely breaking a sweat. CPU is 10-20% when it happens. Is this an issue with my local network?

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cornjob posted:

This is on my local network, direct connection.

Depending on your router, the Wi-Fi in the ATV4 may be faster than the physical wired connection. They went with a slow hardware port in order to shave a fraction of a cent of each one.