Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I guess my i3-3220 UnRaid NAS is the problem as to why my fire stick can't handle 1080p vids half the time even though the wifi connection is strong af?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Which Firestick is it? The OG one lacks a bit these days, but the 4K one and presumably the current one they sell should cover enough codecs to direct play most things, so shouldn’t be grinding on a cpu in the NAS. Ah the joy of networking, trying to figure out where in the chain something is letting you down.

The 4k one from 2 yes ago or so. Only has streaming issues with Plex sometimes.

E: and yeah frustrating because everything else runs great, I doubt connection is an issue here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Khablam posted:

I'd say it's 99% certain connection is the issue.
Most plex content is going to be of significantly higher bitrate than streaming services at 1080p.

The most basic step is to look to see if it's transcoding the content. If it isn't, it's the connection.

There's no way to improve the connection further.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

teagone posted:

Streaming 1080p blu-ray encodes from a homebuilt NAS isn't the same as streaming 1080p or 4K optimized encodes from Netflix/Amazon server farms. Just ruling this out, but I'm assuming your Unraid box is hardwired (is wifi NAS even a thing?) [edit] How far is the Firestick from the AP? And are the video streams being transcoded?

Transcoding is running, just checked it again to confirm.

The Unraid box is set up using 22g of Ram and this processor (i3-3220, says quick sync is available) https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65693/intel-core-i33220-processor-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html

The Unraid box itself is directly wired into the router, the firestick is not and is not in a place where it can be directly wired at this time. There is an access point within 7 feet of the firestick and the signal strength on the Firestick side records it as strong as it can get. Running a speed test on the firestick through the Silk browser shows 50Mbps to the stick and that's fairly reproducible.

I don't have other users sharing the library / running streams simultaneously.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Khablam posted:

Unraid docker containers won't use quicksync without some fiddling, so perhaps it's not working correctly?
That CPU won't HW decode hevc video, so I could certainly see a world where high-bitrate source files consume enough of your CPU that you can't transcode.

The primary solution to this is to just not transcode - is there a reason you're doing so over a wLAN?

I was running into this same discussion while searching, ie having to fiddle with docker.

As for not transcoding... naivete / ignorance on my part! I'll give it a go and see how the firestick handles it.

teagone posted:

Have your Firestick force Direct Play instead of requesting your NAS to transcode and see if that helps. Are your 1080p videos blu-ray remuxes? Or have they been encoded down to a more modest bitrate?

A bit all over the place really, I try to prioritize everything to 265 > 264 > not remux but there might still be some remux versions lurking in there that I need to prune / update.

Matt Zerella posted:

If you want quick sync to work you have to mount the quick sync device from the unraid host inside the docker. Also IIRC that's not a great idea with the 3 series intel chips as the quality isn't great.

Yeah as I said above I just was reading on some similar things about getting quick sync up within docker. Good to know that the chip I have probably isn't up to snuff... bummer.

Thanks all for the help, I'll turn off transcoding to that device and see how it responds.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

Oh.

Oh!

I just laughed out loud and woke up my wife.

Same lol I am glad I wasn't the only one not seeing it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I am having a really hard time getting my Plex system back up and running fully. It was previously working on all of the devices I am currently using, no new hardware or hardware updates have happened.

This week I updated my Plex server along with all of my other *arr dockers etc. The server is an 8 yr old i3 powered NAS, I don't let it transcode. I have the lifetime Plex pass. Port 32400 is correctly forwarded and has been tested etc. Plex server and client apps are all fully updated and I have done fresh reinstalls for all of them. All connect fine to my server.

From my desktop computer I can log into the webui for the Plex Server itself and play all files fine. On that same computer I can log into the webapp ui (app.plex.tv) and also play all files fine.

For my Android phone and my Firestick, I can play music from my Plex server but for videos (have tried numerous different ones of varying quality), I immediately get the "Error Unable to play media" screen. When I select videos from a friends connected server they work just fine. Previously these devices handled transcoding on their end fine and were functional.

Any advice on how to attack this? I just can't seem to figure out what settings I've borked.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Diddler posted:

It sounds like a transcode issue, IMO. Have you tried enabling it to see if that makes a difference?

I think I got it working now and it had to do with the stream quality from the server being lower than the stream quality set at the app end for those specific devices. It was throwing me for a loop because for some episodes that were higher stream quality than what the server or app had set they just would not play and give the error and for others below the quality they were fine.

If I do not want to transcode from the server is there a suggested setting for the server and client side for stream quality that people tend to recommend? I have it manually set at the highest level below maximum.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

minues the anime and non-english stuff.

:frogdunce:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I got some hardware related questions for Plex.

I run PMS in a docker on an Unraid NAS that I have always-on in my basement. It's a pretty old system and just can't really keep up with transcoding. This is a problem when I stream things with subtitles and I end up not being able to play them at all.

Right now the server is running an Intel i3-3220 processor with 32gb of RAM on a DH67BL motherboard (linked below) with no separate GPU attached.

I still own an older Radeon HD6950 card also linked below.

Would Plex transcoding even work on an older Radeon card like this or is this all just too old to bother with?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/50098/intel-desktop-board-dh67bl.html

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-R695OC-1GD#ov

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Can you use Intel Quicksync in Unraid? I'm not familiar with Unraid. If so, you can probably scrounge some deals and get an i3 or i5 in 10th or 11th gen, a mobo, and some ddr4 at or under $300(or so).

I don't recall AMD video cards being all that effective at transcoding, and that the AMD cpus really only succeeded at it via threads and brute force, though I could be wrong.

Yeah you can use Quicksync there. My CPU is at the bare minimum rung on quicksync though so I am trying to see if I can force it to an old GPU. If not will need to find out if the best CPU that will still fit in this socket is a good enough upgrade or if I have to just ground up build a new NAS.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CopperHound posted:

As far as I can tell, plex on linux does not support AMD GPUs. You might be able to do something with jellyfin https://forums.unraid.net/topic/102787-support-ich777-jellyfin-amdintelnvidia/.

Failing that, I would suggest running plex on a device separate from your NAS such as an USFF pc or shield.

That's about what I was running into as well while digging into this more since posting.

I was considering something like this: https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/official-hp-290-p0043w-owners-thread/2829/111 with an NVME drive and another 4g of RAM. They aren't the $100 they used to be but I can find refurbed ones for $150. Would that seem like a good solution and just connect it to the NAS and let it rip?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I've got an odd issue that googling hasn't given me much hope about yet.

I have several episodes of some shows that all play too fast, about 1.5-2x speed and it is intermittent, going in and out of normal to fast speed. The sound quality is a bit snappy / poppy during this as well. This is when viewing the stream on the Fire TV Cube that is attached to my TV. Other shows / movies work fine, but seemingly random ones have this issue.

I have opened the MKV files that do this on my PC and played them with VLC and there are zero issues there. I have also streamed them to my android phone Plex app and my PC's web browser and they work just fine there as well.

I just built a new plex media server box just for transcoding and I really really don't want to get another piece of hardware to get plex working on my TV if it can be helped. I have verified that the PMS box is doing the transcoding etc. Any ideas?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Burden posted:

Why do you want it to transcode? See if playing direct Play makes the problem go away.

I want to transcode on the new server because the streaming device / or original PMS was incapable of transcoding about half of my library if I used subtitles etc. The original PMS was not capable of transcoding much either because it was an ancient CPU.

The new setup should be able to do about 20 simultaneous 1080p transcodes according to the build guide.

I ended up just turning off the "Adjust Automatically" option under the "Video Quality" setting on the Fire TV plex client and its all great now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Plex 2023 update includes pre- and interstitial video ads based on your library content! Opt out monthly!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah honestly that doesn't seem like a real bad thing. People are just in a rush to be outraged sometimes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I run my Plex server on an HP-S01 mini PC. Cost $110 and I just threw a small NVME drive into it and installed Ubuntu on it and let fly. Runs great, supposed to use 7-8w at idle.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Also when you turn on subtitles and Plex forces the transcode back to the server.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Laserface posted:

I want to get a cheap SFF PC to run plex/radarr/sonarr/SABNZBD. Plex server runs on my ReadyNAS RN204 but its pretty old, doesnt support transcoding at all due to CPU limitations and i feel like im maybe 1-2yrs away from it losing support completely.

my LG B8 TV runs a native plex client, but if id be connecting the PC to the TV anyway.

This is what I got. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-S01-pf1...1-127632-2357-0

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Just because I had mentioned it this was some relevant links to guides etc for running a Plex server off of one of those cheap HP deals. I am not a super great computer toucher and it was relatively painless to set up and has been running stably for >1 month so far.

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/official-hp-s01-pf1013w-owners-thread-and-review/9070

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-hardware-transcoding-the-jdm-way-quicksync-and-nvenc/1408/5

Doing it this way let me spend less than the price of an RPi4 and keep my ancient NAS running and still useful hosting all the Plex media. I was running into issues where my devices on my TVs could transcode decently but the NAS could not, and when I watched subtitled content (often), it forces transcoding back to the PMS creating problems.

Spending <$200 on everything and in a pretty low power box was useful IMO and there's enough performance left there that I can move some other stuff over to the PMS machine from my NAS if its less optimal for future applications.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

it can be resolved by some subtitle formats but some content does not have the luxury of choice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

univbee posted:

Huh, interesting and good to know.

Yeah current 4k fire stick and fire cube both will not direct play these and will force the transcode back to PMS even if your settings indicate it should transcode on the player otherwise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

As someone who is a complete newbie to plex and the thread - is this a solid option to go with?

I just want to be able to create a plex server to connect two tvs to for very basic streaming/watching of stuff I’ve downloaded (no sharing, no watching on the go, etc.). Bonus points if I can connect a USB HDD that I have lying around to this to act as storage rather than buying a new HDD or SSD. I guess the question would be whether this is new enough to have USB 3.0 ports, if that matters?

Would this be good, or is the answer still “shield is the easiest out of the box even if it’s more expensive”?

edit: oh wait that's out of stock, nm :doh:

There's other sellers for those.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Does Roku support Amazon prime video?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bonzo posted:

TIL

I guess I'll give one a shot since I now really only use the tablets to read comics and watch video.

That's all I do with mine and have used a Fire HD8 with the google play store sideloaded onto it and its great for that. Much nicer than shelling out $x00 for another ipad that's going to obsolete itself in a few years like the last one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah. There was a window there where I basically abandoned piracy since Netflix was solving The Cable TV Problem effectively enough and at the right price point. Then the license holders figured out how to run a website and the market got hosed again.

Innovation!

Yeah basically the granulation of services has ended up costing me more to get less each year so gently caress it, back to :filez:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

Huge Linux Nerd, but I'm trying to be more helpful than advising you to switch operating systems.

Does not compute

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

I guess I'm an outlier, but I've been using downloads for all my trips the last three months and it's been flawless. I've really been enjoying it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Does TDarr work on intel quicksync CPUs worth a drat?Or is there any option for AMD/ATI stuff? I only have AMD/ATI stuff in my desktop and my server has an old intel cpu but thats it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

This guide should let you use Plex without internet (if you're on the same network obviously)

Oh thanks this is nice

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

Okay, Jellyfin and Emby are done scanning, let's do some speed comparisons! Remember, this is all on a Raspberry Pi 4. And they're all running at the same time, side by side.

Jellyfin and Emby both load the landing screen in about the same amount of time, both with browser cache and with a cleaned cache. Plex is actually a little bit slower here, which surprised me, but it's consistent. Jellyfin and Emby ranged from 3 to 14 seconds (14 was probably a filesystem cache miss on the server). Plex was from 4 to 5 seconds.

Jellyfin really falls apart as soon as I try to do anything with it. For instance, I just told it to display my music library by artist. 2 seconds between click an the loading spinner, and it took so long to render anything after that, I gave up on it. The server isn't even doing anything, it's just the UI falling apart.

Audio playback:

Jellyfin: skipping to the next music track took between 8 and 10 seconds.

Emby is better, coming back with results in 4 seconds, and gradually populating images into it over the next 10-15. Navigating through albums is smooth, and it starts playing after just 2 seconds. Skipping to the next track is another 2 seconds.

Plex is about the same as Emby in every measure. Loading the next track might be a wee bit faster, but I can't be certain. I'm calling this a draw.

Playing a movie:

I'm going to start at the landing screen and play "Rifftrax Live: Giant Spider Invasion", which for some reason is one of the few things I have at 1080p. This will consist of going to Movies, scrolling down to R, selecting this movie's page, then clicking play. I'll stop the timer when it starts playing. I'm also going to wait for a few thumbnails to load before I click to the next step, since I think that's what my dad would do.

Jellyfin, no cache: 22s
Jellyfin, cache: 11s
Emby, no cache: 22s
Emby, cache: 11s
Plex, no cache: 31s
Plex, cache: 11s

Triggering a scan

I'm going to rename a movie and see how long it takes everybody to recover. They're all configured to watch the filesystem for changes in movies.

Plex noticed first, and was done in 56 seconds. Emby was done in about 1m30s, I didn't realize it had noticed because it didn't show up in the dashboard. Jellyfin was done in 2m32s. I would say these are all acceptable, actually.

Now I'll try renaming a TV show.

Plex: about 8 seconds. I actually missed starting the timer and it finished before I could start. Then it went on to detect intros, which took a while, but whatever.
Emby: finished doing this without any indication it had. I had to go try to play the episode to make sure it noticed: it had.
Jellyfin: same story as Emby.

Moving the file back really tripped up Emby. Jellyfin noticed it after about 10 seconds and just made it look like it was trying to play for a while. Emby kept popping up errors saying it couldn't find the file. Then it started playing the wrong episode. Playing the previous episod and then telling it to skip the track fixed it.

Summary

I'm actually really surprised that everybody is coming in roughly the same. I was sure Jellyfin was going to be dog slow, but it's not. At least, not when I'm timing it. Navigating around in Jellyfin definitely feels like slogging through tar, though. Much moreso than Emby or Plex, which I suspect are doing some tricks to feel more responsive by rendering things before it has all the data it needs.

Right after I wrote that, I told Jellyfin to go back to the home screen, and it's taking over a minute to respond. So something weird is definitely up with the Jellyfin browser UI. It didn't return until it had popped up a notice telling me that it had found that episode I renamed.

So in terms of responsiveness, it's pretty much a dead heat, with the glaring exception that Jellyfin just dies if it's scanning.

I haven't commented yet on features, but Emby feels like it could realistically replace Plex for me. Jellyfin still feels a little rough around the edges, but with a beefier CPU it might be fine.

I'm going to try using Jellyfin for the rest of the day: Chromecast (Android) app and everything. Tomorrow I'll use Emby exclusively. I'll report in again with what my impressions are.

Nice post. This is a lot of neat information. Thinking about emby now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Diddler posted:

Same, I run tailscale on my pfsense appliance and it rules.

related to dockertalk, I'm trying to learn docker and am having weird issues with permissions, is there a decent thread for noobs like me somewhere?

I’d be interested in that as well. I’ve only run docker off the Unraid GUI so I don’t really have the best grasp of it.

Also, anyone run Tailscale off of OPNsense? Might set up my router to do that if it’s not a bad way to do it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tea Bone posted:

Plex is transcoding video on a file that it should direct play. I think the problem is the audio, the file has DTS which my sound system can't handle. However, transcoding the audio seems to also force transcode on the video. If I turn off the audio passthrough then everything direct plays. I've got other files with DTS and they just transcode the audio and video direct plays. I expect it's something to do with the container but I don't know? Does plex say anywhere why it's transcoding?

Just a rule it out you’re not running subtitles are you?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So I have a couple of odd issues with this so far that initial poking around hasn't solved.

1. I did the install on the OPNSense router following the instructions at the link above via ssh into the router. On my tailscale page the opnsense machine shows up, and its confirmed as an exit node. On the router itself I can ping the 100.xxx tailscale set IP address and the device is selectable via other tailscale client machines as an exit node. However, in the OPNSense webUI it never listed Tailscale under the "Interfaces" tab even after a reboot and poking around with it in the shell etc. Made sure to run the opnsense-code ports etc again at the end and all as well. Googling around on it points to some things for DNS setup and I've tried that so far, telling it to override local DNS, adding a few cloudflare dns addresses etc.

2. Maybe related to 1, maybe not. On my client machine (win10 laptop) I have tailscale running but when I select the OPNSense router as my exit node I lose all internet access. Googling around also points to potential DNS issues and tried a few things there as detailed above but nothing yet. Rebooted both router and client and nothing doing. Bit stuck on this. Everything seems installed properly, the instructions are all straightforward, and all the devices show up normally on the tailscale webUI so I'm a bit stuck I'm afraid.

Any ideas?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah I bought an LG "smart" TV and just skipped all the setup poo poo for it / never connected it to any internet and wifi and it boots up in <2-3 seconds and has never asked to connect it or anything ever since. Pretty great tbh, I don't know if this is unique to LG but I had zero issues keeping the TV dumb.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I’ve just used Firefox password manager and my Firefox login and th email it’s registered to are both under 2FA. All my CCs and PayPal are also under separate 2FA.

Any major concerns with that? I never bothered with a specific pw manager.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

Hello I do cybersecurity education for a living!

If I could find a way to convince people to do exactly what you're doing, I would consider it a career high point. If I could even consider people to use the browser's built-in password vault without 2FA, instead of the same password for all 250 web sites, or "a process I can do in my head that I haven't told anybody" (ie "password123reddit"), I would also consider that a career high point.

Anyway, no. No major concerns with that, only minor ones. The third party password managers we're talking about are a bunch of nerds debating what's best for the next level.

You're doing just fine. Please remember to install security patches in a timely manner :)

Same response to this goon :)

Oh hey thanks a lot! I honestly just kinda piecemeal what to do based on poo poo I heard along the way. And yes, I do keep up with security updates across the board very swiftly in general.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

That probably blows goats for heavily-subtitled stuff like, oh, basically any foreign language film. :(

Yeah which is why I just opted to have the transcoding done on the Plex server in the end because of that issue. Random subtitled stuff caused all kinds of problems otherwise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I can't remember if it was in this thread or in the NAS one but someone had mentioned just buying a cheap Nvidia p400 graphics card for Tdarr transcoding. I did just that (since my NAS CPU is too old to transcode well and my beefy GPU is AMD). Just wanted to report that it's awesome. A $40 card on ebay in 3-4 days has taken about 5tb of library and compressed out about 1.2tb worth of saved space on my unraid NAS by converting everything it can to 265. The cheap card has already just about paid for itself and will do so as the library grows. It was very easy to setup on unraid following the available guides and mostly just leaving things as default. Pretty cool! I like being able to use old hardware to do stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bonzo posted:

How do you find the quality after the files are compressed? Is there a guide you have been following?

I followed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6UMjTlwrxs but the Tdarr documentation alone is also pretty good. https://tdarr.io/

As far as quality I haven't seen much of a difference but also am not very fussy about that in general / don't have an extremely fancy home AV setup that would really be easy to discern that one so I'm not fit to give you a good answer if you're pretty particular about it. I play mostly in 1080p even though I have a 55" 4K tv and its all been great for me so far.

E: someone used one of the lil Dell thinclient PCs as a separate transcoder, this would also likely work great as a Plex Media server box separate from a NAS for the library (and function as the TDarr node).

https://gist.github.com/estelsmith/4e7bf4608fed0c81ff92f5ea3d5a7056

That Works fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 7, 2023