Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I'm having a problem with Plex. I've installed the server app and am trying to upload my shows; movies it does fine, but it keeps deciding that Samurai Jack is The Walking Dead and everything else animated is Pokemon. I've named everything the way it's supposed to be named, so I'm unsure why this is happening. Also, everything keeps getting merged randomly with other things; for example, Season Three of Blackadder ended up crunched in with Samurai Jack. I really like the idea of Plex, but if I'm going to have to manually edit every file, then it doesn't seem worth it. Any advice?

Pinball fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Do you have them separated into different folders(Movies, TV Shows, Home Videos)? Once I separated them out, Plex has had no problems reading anything. I don't even bother renaming anything because Plex figures it out or, in the case of Home Videos, just leaves it alone.

Yup, I've done that. Now I've gotten it to recognize some things, but on some things it's having a weird issue with episodes that are titled 'e1' and not 'e01.' It's also not recognizing the names of things I can find on TVDb, and when I go to TVDb, I see the names and information on the site.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Man, for something advertised as being simple, I'm finding Plex very difficult. Now my problem is getting it to fetch subtitles. I have an OpenSubtitles account and have set Plex up the necessary way to get the subs, but when I force refresh, it doesn't fetch. Looking at the log only shows that apparently the subs don't exist, even though I checked OpenSubtitles and they do. I really don't want to have to manually add .srt files to my thousand pieces of media. :(

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

Plex is loving terrible when dealing with subtitles. I don't know of a better way to automate this using windows, so for stuff I really want I just manually download them.

Yeah, but I'm right on the border between moderately and profoundly deaf, so for me, subtitles are a necessity. This sucks, I was all excited about setting up a streaming media server that could automatically fetch subs. I've asked on the Plex forums; hopefully they can help.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

JoeMB posted:

Did you make an account on opensubtitles? It didn't work for me until I created an account and out the details in the settings for opensubtitles in plex.

Yup, done that.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Now I get the option to choose English subs on most of my media, but when I do, nothing pops up. This is making me want to rip my hair out. I've asked the Plex redditors, since they might be more responsive than the guys on the official forums, who are saying nothing. Ugh, I just want a media center that can fetch and play subtitles automatically, why is it so difficult?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

teagone posted:

I mean, you could grab external SRT files. That's what I do if I really need subtitles in Plex.

I could, yes, but I have almost a thousand pieces of media and I need to get subtitles for every single one. I was hoping for a way to me to not need to do it manually, episode by episode.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

GutBomb posted:

How about just manually downloading the subs you plan on watching at the time you're going to watch it?

It looks like that might be my only option. I'm just so disappointed because growing up, getting subtitles and making them work was always such a huge pain, when it even worked at all, so I was honestly beyond thrilled at the idea of a media app that could fetch and play subtitles for me. It's just a big disappointment, is all.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but XBMC has very good built-in subtitle support now. If I had to have subtitles for everything I wouldn't hesitate to use xbmc over plex.

Does XMBC also serve the purpose of streaming media to other devices? I thought it was solely for HTPCs. And I'm guessing there's no Chromecast support? That's what drew me to Plex initially: the ability for me to control and stream stuff to my older flatscreen using the ChromeCast.

Pinball fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Stockwell posted:

Looks like Filebot supports automated subtitle downloading in addition to automatically renaming/organizing your media, can't attest to how well it works as I haven't tried it myself in an automated configuration, but it appears to be pretty straightforward to set up.

Thank you immensely! It works decently; still randomly skips several episodes at points, but I can download those .srt files on my own. It downloaded about five hundred files before I hit the 'anti-leech limit,' so you've been a wonderful help.