Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

The Gunslinger posted:

Man the Plex app on Roku really sucks. My girlfriend has a Roku 3, we installed the Plex app and threw in my server info. I only have a 2mbit upstream at home but she watches stuff via Plex on her tablet with no issues and fast loads (2-3 seconds). The Roku plex app is hot garbage, laid out like poo poo and videos take 1-2 minutes to load. I tried giving it the lower profiles even but same story. When the video does start it will randomly skip around after awhile too. Transcoding shouldn't be an issue because my server is pretty powerful, is it buffering half of the damned file before it starts or something?

At this point I'm ready to return this thing and get a FireTV but I'm worried I'll have the same issue there. Where should I start on troubleshooting? Her tablet plays stuff from my server with no issue, very fast loads and no buffering.

This should really be in the OP. It fixes a ton of issues and ads some nice improvements. It might help your issue.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/79897-rarflix-modified-roku-channel/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Exactly. I can't send email over standard SMTP. Luckily I can over SSL but still, it's daft.

This is to cut down on malware running spam bots on Granny's computer running Widows ME or something. It doesn't stop it but supposedly it does help.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Boner Wad posted:

I'm playing most of my content over DLNA to a Sony TV. I've noticed several movies will now show up in the DLNA list. Is there a simple way to figure out why it won't show up? I have a feeling it is some encoding it can't handle or something.

I'm pretty sure using DLNA doesn't transcode, so it'll only play videos that the TV can natively play.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

If you want to store all of your music on your phone why use Google Music? There are a few pretty good local storage music players out there to choose from.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Unacknowledged posted:

Large libraries may not fit on a device but may fit in Google's free storage. I use both. It's not very convenient to fill my phone up with music as the space is used for a lot of other things, so I just put a few dozen albums and stuff on then stream from elsewhere when I want stuff that's not there, it works pretty well.

I was responding to chocolateTHUNDER who wanted a Download All button. Which kind of defeats the purpose of ~the cloud~

I guess if you're not willing to plug your phone to your computer and drag and drop music onto it it's easier, but why wait to upload then download all of your music?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, plus Google Music's actual website has super-handy features like automatically detecting and tagging albums/fixing tags/embedding album art and such. I don't think it's really that much of a stretch to use the website to fix tags and such, then transfer them to your phone or tablet or whatever for offline listening. I mean, it's basically iTunes with just the added step of having it automatically upload your music to their servers.

Oh nice. They didn't have that early on and I ended up removing all of my music from it because it was easier to fix locally than using the web interface. This is good news, though I need it much less now that all my tags are perfect.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Speaking of airplay, I remember a few months back that Plex can stream to airplay devices from an android device, I tried it about a month ago and no such luck. Is that plexpass only?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Bandwidth limits should be a server setting and not a client one (or both). I'm not sure what the Plex guys were smoking when they came up with that one.

I tried Emby but it had so many issues for my system that I just gave up and uninstalled it... or tried to, their uninstaller is broken and would crash before removing any files. It worked great for the day or so I had it running through. Also, what's with the Windows version of Emby installing everything to App Data instead of the traditional Program Files?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

porksmash posted:

AppData is the go-to place to install user-specific programs and doesn't require admin/UAC approval to be installed. Convenient for some things I guess. I know Chrome installs there too.

But wouldn't it be preferable to run a media server so that it runs no matter what user is logged in? That seems silly. If anything, AppData should be for user specific settings, not whole apps.

So we've got Program Files, Program Files (x86), ProgramData, AppData (global/default), and AppData (for each user!), and the old school standby regular old C:.

Gotta love Windows devs! Am I missing any possible program install locations?

Edit: I know this is a huge derail but isn't the whole reason why admin approval/UAC exists is specifically so that any user can't just install apps all willy nilly?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 9, 2015

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

chaosbreather posted:

Even so Plex HT can't transcode DTS to 5.1 DD :sigh:

That's silly, ffmpeg can transcode DTS to AC3 and I'm pretty sure plex is using ffmpeg to do its transcoding.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Also most people want to sit down and just watch some loving TV and turn off their brain for an hour or two. They last thing they want is a hassle in any way. Remember, they grew up in an age where the TV just works, you turn it on and find the channel that has something on. That's it. Simple. My mother is overwhelmed by Netflix and will just turn on Frasier or some other sitcom for the thousandth time because it's easy and she doesn't want to hunt for something new to watch. She's not stupid by a longshot, she just wants to sit and relax. The concept of giving her something more complex than Plex/Netflix for this purpose is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

porktree posted:

How can I add my dvd's to Plex :smug: without breaking the copy protection and ripping them of course. I thought it was pretty cool really, but wonder if he exposed a little to much.

That's exactly how you do it unless you want to re-buy all your movies on Amazon or something.