Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MeKeV posted:

I've just logged on to my Plex server and about 45 random channels have appeared on my list (including a couple of xxx ones). And I can't figure out why? Looking at the files in the file system it seems theyve all been added today 17th.

When I try to delete them from the Plex web interface it says can't remove channel.

I've had a quick browse of the Plex forum (not signed up yet) and doesn't seem like anyone else has come across this yet.

Do you have the unofficial app store installed? If so try deleting them through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like the app dropped for US for ps3/ps4

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/apps/plex/cid=UP4544-CUSA01850_00-PLEX000000000000

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Yeah the PS3 app is a piece of poo poo. Disappointing.

The ps4 app is kinda weird as well, but I really like the interface.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like plex has merged their apps

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/60585-plex-for-android/page-5#entry830723

NEW

- Move to a single free app, retiring "Plex for Plex Pass". Existing purchases and Plex Pass subscriptions carry over. Free app offers remote control and more, unlock with a Plex Pass or one-time purchase. Plex for Android TV remains a Plex Pass only preview.
- Browse and cast your local camera roll content to any remote player.
- Update user interface to use more modern Android styles.
- [ATV] Now supports movie extras.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Any way to force the Plex pass sync to pickup subtitles? It seems really hit or miss about getting them.

You mean download them? Use the subliminal addon, the opensubtitles addon was garbage when I tried it.

https://github.com/bramwalet/Subliminal.bundle

Oh nevermind I missed that...Need more coffee.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 6, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

diremonk posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but do people that I have shared my libraries with need to pay for Plex Pass too or is it only me that needs to pay?

You can share libraries with anyone, they don't need plex pass. I have plex pass so I don't know if its even required anymore. I guess you could look at the plex pass page.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Medullah posted:

I've been using the Plex app on my Note 4 a lot to play via Chromecast. Without fail, the phone loses connection with the chromecast if i do anything other than keep plex in focus. When the show I'm watching is done, i open the plex app again and am greeted with "plex has stopped responding" 3 or 4 times before it works again. I can then reestablish the connection and move on to the next show. Anyone have this issue?

Yep - see it tons on my nexus 7 / droid turbo. One of the reasons I am thinking of going to a firetv or something that I can use my harmony remote with.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Senturion posted:

Personally I like Handbrake (0.9.9.5530, think the newer versions were giving me issues), haven't really looked into too many others.

MakeMKV is also useful if you're unable to rip something with handbrake.

Roku getting a new UI

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/02/24/brand-new-plex-app-platform-people/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know if its possible to symlink the media info files folder out of my appdata folder? I don't want to move the whole app data folder since its on my SSD. The wiki didn't say.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202197528

teagone posted:

loving finally. I can now ditch my HTPC.

My thoughts as well. I am going to pick up the roku since I am tired of dealing with chromecast and a HTPC.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Is there a simple way to back up or export my PLEX settings? I am getting a new hard drive soon and I have to reinstall Windows, PLEX, etc. All paths, OS, libraries, user profile names, and passwords will remain the same during this transition.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dsmif posted:

I had this same problem, use the plugin in this link to scrape the DVD order from TVDB.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/34503-dvd-sort-order-for-thetvdb/

Does switching to themoviedb scraper work? Yes, the website does tv shows now too.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that theme an existing one for plex that you can download? I saw it on the videos of the Xbox app and it looks quite cool. I've never strayed from the default one but change is always fun.

Which client?

e: do any of the roku boxes support 24p when using plex? My google fu is failing me.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 25, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sorry just normal PHT client for Windows/OSX.

There are actually a bunch of nice skins but you need to wade through the plex forums.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I bought PlexPass when it was still $75 lifetime, but it's absolutely worth it for me as a frequent traveler.

I never have to sit down before a trip to manually load up my iPad, never have to manually update watched/unwatched data when I get home.

If I'm binge-watching a series I can watch as many episodes as I want at home, then hit "sync" before bed and be sure that I have the next ep with me on the plane the next day.

I can also take old shows I don't mind casually rewatching and set them to sync a few episodes on low-priority to fill any remaining space on my iPad after anything new is loaded on. That way I'm never stuck in the air with absolutely nothing to watch.

Plus you can have it just sync unwatched episodes and it does everything for you. I use this all the time. Thankfully I got into the lifetime plex before they raised the prices. I see mediabrowser is requiring a "supporter" payment to use their sync. I wonder if the xbmc users are having a meltdown since they would always bitch about plex being paid :laugh:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

This is exactly my hold up. I'm moving from a windows home server where I had to learn nothing. Thanks for the advice.

Just use windows then. I am using Windows 8.1 + drivepool and its been awesome.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know of a way to have subtitles always show only for certain users?

Emby (mb3) does this. Speaking of, Emby is getting really close to having parity with the plex ecosystem. I like the server a lot more, and the clients are starting to catch up from what I can tell. Will definitely be interesting next 6-12 months.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

There have been tons of media server apps across years and years. I don't suspect any, including plex, are going to do anything groundbreaking. Plex has more resources via $$ so they do more. It's not like they are better or worse.

Emby looks identical to plex in functionality and how it represents that functionality. what are you saying is "different /better" about the server?

I like the server options its gives you. So have subtitles always show for another user, etc. It's much more well thought out then Plex is, IMO.

I agree there isn't going to be much groundbreaking, but emby seems to be getting refined better then Plex is. This probably doesn't matter to most people, but more competition is good, IMO.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Roundboy posted:

im browsing thrugh emby now.. is there a good overview of features ?

My biggest thing right now is forced subtitles. Plex does it but only when they are baked into the mkv.. I would much rather point to opensubtitles.org and use that for the parts i need it only.

It seems to support a similar structure to plex.. So I might be able to get away with it running in parallel with plex using the same media library

You can run both at the same time, I sometimes do. The things that I like are the open source nature of the project and the fact that most of the settings make more sense then plex. For instance, plex doesn't let other users download media, only the main user/admin can. With Emby you have more control over user accounts, and anyone can download media. Also with Emby you can automatically display subtitles for other users, but its per user account, not a global setting like Plex is. This is nice so my mom can enjoy her subtitles that she would like on each stream, while I prefer to just enable them when I need it. Also Emby lets you store your metadata alongside your media, whereas if you are running Plex you need to do some convoluted server back to just move your server.

I don't know of a good breakdown, maybe just try it out? The server is free to run.

Apologies if this isn't really Plex related but I thought people might be interested.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are there enough details here?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah filebot

http://www.filebot.net/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

porkface posted:

Watching a show tonight, Plex stopped and threw up a warning that I needed to be logged into Xbox Live. I couldn't figure out a way back in to resume watching a show from my local network until Xbox Live came back up.

If its the same as psn I don't think you can.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

havenwaters posted:

Seems like a Plex issue since you can get 5.1 with Kodi/XBMC while using the PleXBMC add on or through Plex setting XBMC as your external player. You may also be able to use the Photo Viewer (which can play video files) as your external player. You lose plex's ability to track what you've watched and there is some setup involved for the kodi stuff (either by itself or as an external player). Photo viewer I'm not 100% sure on with respect to 5.1 audio.

I am pretty sure fire TV supports 5.1 but the fire stick doesn't.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

If you're having issues with Plex keeping a proper database, try setting your server to NOT automatically update when new media is found. I've got like 3000+ video files in my libraries, but I have it set to only update /scan for new items when I manually hit the "Update Library" button. Never had an issue with the manual process. Plus I like it that way since whenever I add something new, I can see what it is right away after I manually update and can customize the metadata if need be.

I set mine to 1 or 2 hours so it catches stuff but it doesn't mess up if nzbget has to rename something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Minidust posted:

What's the deal with Plex on PS3? I wanted to try the app yesterday, and it says you need a Plex Pass-enabled account to use it. Is it not like other apps where you can pay a one-time activation fee? I'm hoping to use Plex on Windows 8 to "fling" content to the PS3 (like airplay). I'd like to know if that's even possible before I subscribe. Roku let me try the app out at least. I have no idea if I'm even gonna like the PS3 interface.

Also, regarding Plex Pass, do you get the same benefits on a device with paid activation? Or does a paid device just get unlocked for basic use, with a higher tier of benefits for subscribers?

Playstation apps are plex-pass only for now. https://plex.tv/playstation I don't know if it is possible to fling to a playstation, I haven't turned my ps4 on in months. I would imagine sony doesnt allow them to do demos.

Sometimes you have to purchase apps for devices, but they have been removing these. For instance the Windows app used to be paid but is now free to use if you have plex pass. There are certain features that give you additional features like camera upload in apps. https://plex.tv/subscription/welcome

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

Sure thing! If anyone else is looking for a new Plex server, Amazon has the TS140 with a Xeon E3-1225 and 4GB of RAM for $380 shipped at the moment. Just need to add hard drives and an OS. http://www.amazon.com/ThinkServer-70A4001LUX-5U-Tower-Server/dp/B00FE29IWK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407279169&sr=8-2&keywords=Lenovo+TS140 - Lowest I've seen this go is $300-$350 though.

Is this still the best box to get for my friend in the UK? He has a HP NAS that isn't up to snuff in terms of transcoding. I need something as simple as possible with 4+ drive bays. I am in the US so I can't help him. He lives in Leicester if anyone knows a good local computer place that could move his hard drives over and make sure everything is working.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

DJ Burette posted:

Unfortunately in the UK the TS140 is quite expensive, normally it's priced about $450+ so unless you get lucky on eBay you might want to point him elsewhere. I have no idea why it's so expensive over here, seems ridiculous.

What are my other options in the UK?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Man - the nexus player is pretty drat awesome. Loaded it up with all my online streaming apps, emby/plex apps and also tested out kodi with emby server support. Pretty awesome. There was some loving around with loading kodi, but I love the google play store support. Pretty happy with my decision to switch off of the roku 3. If anyone wants more details let me know.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Unacknowledged posted:

What is mobile sync?

Syncing media to a mobile device.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Plex forums were hacked, attacker asking for bitcoins or else he will release the db.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/3bstq2/plex_forums_hacked/

Shouldn't mean much to anyone unless you did something dumb like use the same username/pass elsewhere.

They had all sorts of weird spam issues on their forums, surprised this took so long.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex can finally change the quality of the video while casting, pretty decent update today.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/972910/#Comment_972910

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can use cloud sync if you really feel like it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just tried PlexPy out today, its pretty drat slick.

https://github.com/drzoidberg33/plexpy

Does anyone know how to tell which items have been watched in a playlist? I have a 100+ item playlist and I don't see watched/unwatched icons in any of the apps I use.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 15, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

xlevus posted:

I want to move my NAS out of my lounge and into a cupboard.

Currently I've got my NAS running Emby, Kodi and Emby.Kodi, But I've had real problems with using the android app with Emby.Kodi (Like, 15min delay on interactions). And for some reason, Emby has just ignored a third of my movies.
I had a fiddle with Plex a while ago, but the linux build of PlexHT had loads of screen tearing issues.

So, What's the best out-of-the-box device that's going to get me watching content at full resolution/bitrate on Plex?

And if it's Roku, why is this cheaper than this ? There's got to be a catch right?

Best is relative. Best I would classify as a box with Plex home theater. For me, the best device is a nexus player. In terms of low effort, wife approval box it makes the most sense for my situation. It hits all the things I need: cast support, netflix, youtube and plex/kodi.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

A Nexus Player should be able to Direct Play anything your Plex server throws at it.

This may be the case, but with the plex client RW/FFD is terrible. It frequents takes forever to buffer, I don't know if I need to drop the quality down or whatever. Running 5ghz wifi as I haven't bothered with a OTG ethernet adapter yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

Even when content is being Direct Played? I've only had issues with FF/RW when content is being transcoded. Direct Played content on my Moto G (2014) has no FF/RW issues in the Plex app.

I don't know, I suppose I can check tonight. Is the easiest way to tell still the plex web UI?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

corded ware culture posted:

Is Plex playback on the Chromecast broken with the latest builds? I'm having a lot of trouble playing back anything higher than a 4mbps transcoded stream from my Plex server on the Chromecast. This wasn't a problem for me before I upgraded the server software a week or two ago, could do 8mbps streams just fine. For reference, the server CPU is a Xeon x5460 (Quad core). Also, I've noticed higher CPU loads on the latest server versions when transcoding. Chromecast is located adjacent to wireless access point, sustains 12mbps down with a speed test app I found.

Mine has been pretty lovely lately yeah. I have to manually bump the quality down to 4mbps just to not have it skip around.

Also PlexPy loving owns - pretty nice if you have a multi-user setup and want to keep better track of what is happening.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone have any tips for getting rwd/ffw to work better on my Nexus player? Latest app, latest server version and the experience is dreadful if I need to fast forward on this thing. I have little to no issues with my mobile apps, would getting an ethernet USB otg be worth it? Running 5ghz wifi at the moment.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

Is your content being direct played or is it being transcoded when sent to your Nexus player?

Direct played according to plex web.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ali Aces posted:

For anyone else hoping for audio resume support:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1009477#Comment_1009477

Someone on the forums going by "elan", who is apparently "Sheriff of Plexville", has stated: "It's coming."

Obviously no major commitment or details there but the acknowledgement is great to hear.

Yeah elan is the founder, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

Yeah... one of the big issues and feature requests is to have a server-side setting to limit bandwidth among shared remote clients. I'm not sure how hard that would be to implement (since I'm pretty sure it's a feature on Emby), but the thread that brought up the issue on the Plex forums is nearly 2 years old now :( https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/80857/popular-server-side-speed-limits-caps-for-shared-subscribed-users/p1

Emby has this, yeah. I can't believe some of the stuff plex is missing really. They just like a month ago let you set user-based subtitles from a global setting.