Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

When I cast to my Chromecast, using media that is on my Plex server, it sometimes locks up, and I have to hit the stop button, then hit play again to get it to work.

What is the best fix for this? Should I convert everything to MP4? A lot of my files are currently MKV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

kri kri posted:

What media server version are you using?

Version0.9.9.7.429

Roundboy posted:

Are you running out of transcoding juice ? Tail the logs, grep for "speed" and see what you are arctually transcoding at. anything below 1 means you are stuttering. Depending on buffer you can handle a few occasionally, but not constant.

Before I upgraded my server, i found that it was better to raise the encoding level to MAX, and let my media play directly vs a blanket transcode to 4 MBPS 720p. Media that contains DTS, or anything unknown will always require a transcode regardless

Nope, I am able to stream to everything else just fine. Only on my Chromecast do I have the issue.

I looked through the logs, and never see any issues with my speed. What logs should I look at?

My machine is on 8 GB ram, i5 4570 3.2G, and is pretty new.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Roundboy posted:

https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

Plex Media Server.log is what you want to look at (also make sure you have debugging on) .. examine that log for something with 'speed; in it

code:

Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG -  * progress => 47.7
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG -  * size => -38
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG -  * speed => 8.1
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG -  * remaining => 4253
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG - It took 0.000000 sec to serialize a list with 0 elements.
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] VERBOSE - Completed request: PUT /video/:/transcode/session/szqpgpcklxlayvi/progress?progress=47.7&size=-38&speed=8.1&remaining=4253: 2200

anything above 1 is transcoding fsater then realtime... below one you are lagging.. and supposedly 1.0 exactly is direct play no transcoding.

I just dug through all the logs I had. All of them have my speed way up there, 20+. The only time it went below that, was when I attempted to stream a twitch server, and it was at like .1, but I remember that the twitch stream took forever to load up for some drat reason.

I also do not have Plexpass.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Well, I figured out part of my problem with Chromecast. I had my server setup via WIFI, because I wanted to have it in a room that no one really used, so that it wouldn't randomly spin up when I wanted to watch/download/whatever something. Turns out the card I was using would randomly drop down to 5 Mbits speed, and that is right when whatever I was playing would start skipping.

Ran some wire to it, and now have it hardwired into my router, and it works like a charm.

If your server is connecting to Chromecast via WIFI, you may want to check it out, and try to hard wire that poo poo in. I never realized just how lovely my cheapo depo wifi card was till now.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

teagone posted:

The Lenovo TS140 with a Core-i3 can be had for around $250-$300. Has 4 HDD bays I believe.

[edit] http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS140-70A4000HUX-Computer/dp/B00F6EK9J2 $262 shipped fulfilled by Amazon.

I have seen this mentioned multiple times, is this a pretty good one to go with? I have no problem building one myself, but I have never built a server.

Can the i3 deal with 1080p and all that junk?

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

teagone posted:

Yeah, the Core i3 is very much capable of handling 1080p transcoding. How many front-end devices would the server be transcoding for with your set up?

I would probably be dealing with one - three inside the network, and up to 4 outside the network. One of the ones on the network is a Chromecast, with the other two being computers.

Outside the network would be a mix of phone, computers, tablets, and maybe a Roku/Chromecast/Fire TV.

I was looking into building my own, but it looks like it would cost more than the Lenovo system.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I think he's asking how many you will be transcribing for simultaneously.

At most I would probably have 3 or so at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

teagone posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear :shobon:

That said, a Core i3 should definitely be enough to handle transcoding 3 streams. I'd probably up the RAM to 8GB though, if you're getting the base model with 4GB. What's your current Plex server specs if you don't mind my asking?

i5-4570 3.2
8 GB RAM DDR3-1600
GTX 760