Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh hell yeah I love Plex, didn’t know we had a thread. Currently running a Plex server with the Arrs for media, and live tv through Jellyfin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

acksplode posted:

One thing worth mentioning in case it's a surprise is that you can't share live TV with other accounts like you can your library. (DVR'ed TV that's in your library can be shared though.) So you're only able to watch live from clients that are logged in as your account. There are legal restrictions against redistributing live broadcasts that I guess Plex doesn't want to get near.

Yeah as the other poster said, only home users can share Live TV, if you want to share Live TV to other users you'll need to use Jellyfin instead.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Motronic posted:

I'm just today playing with this for IPTV. There is a disappointing lack of sorting/categories just like in Plex. I feel like I need to find some sort of proxy to cut down on useless channels and perhaps be able to route them through a VPN and have Plex/Jellyfin connect to that as a "provider".

I use xteve for this and it mostly works, but like the other poster said it seems to be abandoned. I’ll check out this stream master thing.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s also Threadfin, which is a fork of xteve that aims to add features (backup channels, auto mapping etc) but it’s very much an in development thing and those features are a bit hit and miss right now. I wish of everything it would auto enable streams and apply a blank EPG template if one isn’t automatically found, but maybe with epg.best (similar toolset to m3u4u from what I can tell) I can fix that when the channel names change on sports feeds and the provider hasn’t set a TVG ID (grrrrr).

https://github.com/Threadfin/Threadfin

IPTV in Plex is generally a never ending game that isn’t as rewarding as the effort you put into it, but it has its moments.

Oooo thanks for the heads up, I’ll check it out.

Yeah honestly I’m surprised how poor the support for IPTV is across the board and how many of the options are paid only. It’s weird when software like sonarr/radarr is so ubiquitous and high quality.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Okay so I have an interesting mystery. The hotel I am staying at is blocking Plex somehow, but I can't figure out how they're doing it. My DNS is my own (tried google and cloudflare) and it doesn't appear to be a port block. So what gives? Are they listening to the client hello and blocking on that? Seems pretty aggressive. Notably Jellyfin still works fine from the same server, and if I switch to cellular it still works, so the server is definitely fine, it's this specific wifi that is the problem.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Similar question for crunchyroll. Anyone have a good recommendation for that? I tried some of the options google spat out but none seemed to work so far.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Khablam posted:

Unfortunately just because it's on a list of 1800+ items that no one has bothered to prune, doesn't mean it will work.
Crunchroll now uses the same DRM as netflix / amazon prime video, so solutions to get those - which I can't mention - will also work there.
It's also very hard to get access to materials that allow you to dump the data, so most of this would be real-time extraction at best and at worse, screen capture.

Ahg okay thanks, all I want is to be able to have Italian audio with English subs, but for some dumb reason crunchyroll won’t let you use anything but Italian subs on the streams with Italian audio.

Edit: In case anyone is curious, the actual answer to my dilemma seems to be Substitial, which lets you overlay your own subs over streaming media, including crunchyroll.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 22, 2023

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Credits skip is too broken to automatically skip, but having the next video auto-play after 5 seconds of credits is awesome and I can't wait to turn that on.

I'm amped about this to DISABLE credit skip on arrested development where it always screws up an minimizes the video during the "next time on arrested development" stinger.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Random question, is there any way to expose the sonarr calendar but literally nothing else to users? I don’t want to actually have people mucking about in my sonarr instance but the calendar feels like a broadly useful resource.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

I’m at about 80tb as well, just upgraded to new more power efficient storage so I have a lot more space to play with. Once upon a time I actually would calculate out “burn rates” based on how quickly I was consuming storage to determine when I needed to add more drives.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Anyone else get this?

Hi I work on Windows Defender actually. That pops up when a binary is unfamiliar and doesn’t show up in our database but has some suspicious characteristics, if you submit it, it will probably get cleared pretty instantly. It probably just recently updated to a new version.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Lol, not the response I never expected here. I work on reverse engineering malware as a side hobby and some of the poo poo they to hide is some real weird poo poo I would imagine malware that compiles/runs entirely from JPG or some other poo poo would be hard to automatically detect

Oh yeah, I don't have a lot of first hand experience with that stuff, but the researchers tell us about some incredibly sophisticated obfuscation. It's very much an arms race, they develop new obfuscation techniques, we develop new detections, back and forth, forever.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

I threw some FLACs on my Plex for funsies and, oh god, oh no, I'm devastated to report that they actually sound MUCH better than Spotify. This can only lead to bad things.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

The tdarr devs also seemed to be completely mystified by my very normal use case of “I want to transcode every huge remux I have down to a more sane file size” which is shockingly difficult to set up reliably in tdarr. The philosophy behind it is apparently “filters” so instead of performing a batch job on a bunch of media (normal, sane) you have to setup pipelines that can get stuck recursively transcoding the same media file forever.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Plex server nerds should get hip to Sonarr + Radarr + Overseerr and enjoy seamless hands-off media requests on the go.

100% agree. The quality of these pieces of software is so far beyond almost anything else in the open source space. I wouldn’t run a server without them.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Is the purpose of the trash guides just standardized naming and quality preferences?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

There’s a distinction between setting something as monitored vs setting something as monitored and immediately initiating a search, but I have no idea how to choose which is which, or set a toggle. I have the exact same problem with my Ombi->Lidarr link for music search. Sometimes it triggers a search, sometimes it doesn’t, no idea why.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

Are Hulu and Google still the only games in town?

Well that and :filez:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Warbird posted:

Saw this pop up and I don't think I've seen it discussed before: https://github.com/jorenn92/Maintainerr

"Looks and smells like Overseerr, does the opposite. Maintenance tool for the Plex ecosystem"

Looks like it can automate some of the more annoying part of dealing with users.

People delete media?!??!!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Are there any good best practices for defense in depth of your Plex service and *arr service stack? It occurred to me the other day that my only real security boundary is the edge of my local network, and any house guest who logs into my WiFi has basically full license to muck with my radarr configurations, harvest api keys, etc. Other than the obvious steps of setting passwords on the *arrs, what other steps should I take, should I be sticking all of my IoT devices on VLANs or something?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

What sort of people are you inviting into your house??

Wouldn't a guest wifi work?

Perhaps a more realistic vector would be any of the lovely iot devices I put on the WiFi a million years ago and forgot about.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah the point of docker is to have an instance of the service that “just works” because it’s packaged with all its dependencies and can’t be fouled up by other changes on your system. Honestly I don’t get the docker hate, it’s dead simple to use.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah all the new things have made it slightly worse, but still not bad enough to jump ship. They have also added some great new features like intro skip in the same time frame so it’s evened out somewhat.

I just really wish we could fork Plex as it exists right now (minus discover). It’s basically as good as I’ll ever need right now and if it stayed this way it’d be great.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

25ish users, most I've ever seen simultaneous was 11 the day after christmas.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Pick up an n100 based mini PC. Even supports AV1 I believe.

Edit:

This Beelink is on sale for $180 which is a great deal. I wish I had this over my n5105 version.

I’m running a palworld server on one of these guys and it’s working great.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I’ve thought about writing up how I have all my iptv stuff up, but very importantly there won’t be any kind of way of people to ask questions or provide feedback directly.

I would be very interested in this, IPTV stuff is a continuous pain point for me.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Is there a nice tool that can show me a graph of hard drive space over time? I used to manually calculate my “burn rate” so that I knew when I would need to buy more drives, but I’m sure there’s something that does it in very pretty way and maybe with more information?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Os is Ubuntu, the storage is a single ZFS raid on the same device. I basically just want something that runs du -hf every day and then graphs the results. I guess I can just do it myself.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Oh awesome, this looks great, thank you!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Is there a way in plex or tautulli or similar to find shows that haven't been watched or have been watched very little? I'm running into a bit of a space crunch and I think some of the stuff being downloaded isn't actually being watched by anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

IPTV folks, what’s the consensus on Streammaster vs Threadfin as an M3U proxy? I’m currently using xTeve which is no longer supported.