Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The second plex became available for chromecast for the way he time app buyers I grabbed it, and could not be happier.

I'm actively using it coupled with some extensive RSS torrent rules, to replace cable in a month or so.

I would love to see some edits and access to the under the hood transcoding settings (ffmpeg?) Since on the fly transcoding of 1080p 5.1 content is taxing my core2duo server, and I think a good portion of it is unneeded.

Luckily using max settings is something my network can handle. I use ffmpeg locally for TiVo transcoding, and that handles at faster then realtime, so improvement room is there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
How are they listed on the tvdb or similar ? That will ultimately determine how they are displayed.

If they don't already have entries. Add them? Its an open db for this very reason.

Otherwise you are left with simple file names in a directory which only seems possible with folder view?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have a rp just sitting around. So this is taking the place of the chomecast and android plex control?

I was considering the new roku stick for the same, but this seems like a no brainer to set up.

The only issue is that my hdtvs seemingly won't work remote wise, but I'm assuming universal remotes would work too

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I see a shuffle icon via plex.tv/web .. nothing for the android though.

Real question:

Are the library update intervals inclusive or exclusive? I have it set to update my library when it changes (i add a show) but if I -also- check update every hour... will it do both or just one? I'm not seeing the info update right away, so if i can get both going it would be helpful.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Good to know as I was about to pick up a roku stick for the 'has a remote, just turn it on and it just works' item.

EDIT: Many reviews have good points. Between this and a roku box I'm pretty soured on Fire TV

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 4, 2014

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yeah, at that point it was most cost efficient to build a new server...which is what I ended up doing. Plex works perfectly now and I've not been able break it even with 5 transcoding streams at top quality.

What is the hardware to transcoding ratio? I have ffmpeg running like a topnto transcode TiVo streams inn> real time, but plex chokes on transcoding to a lower bitrate.. Its why I have everything set to max and let the network dice roll.

I would rather not redo my core 2 duo Linux machine into a i5 box for transcoding alone, as previously a hyperthreaded p4 did me fine

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
How screwed up with is screwed up? I found plex has been fairly robust in picking up on things. Unless you like inception folders within folders

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

All my media files are in one big folder: music, tv, movies :v:

Well time to learn regex :). Anything with S##E## goes in TV. Anything #### goes to movies. I think plex assigns different naming conventions to the folder type specified.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

I know about the naming conventions, I guess I should be clearer. Right now I'm doing a lot of cutting and pasting to move each individual file from c:\media to c:\media\movies\movie\ and c:\media\tv shows\show xx\season xx\, and I was wondering if there was something similar to iTunes' library sorting feature for Plex. Just to save me a bunch of folder reorganizing.

There is no need to sort shows by season folder, and I *think* you can even get away with not putting them in show folders either.

At this point I would dump all 100% TV into a single folder and see what plex.TV/web doesn't translate.

But no,plex does not create folder structures for you, that I have found

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

Well Plex is pretty clear about your media organization, and I did as you suggested last night and because all my media is in one folder that was no sorting by movie/tv show/etc. With quite a few files that makes it tedious to do all the scrolling via tablet or other mobile device.

I know Plex doesn't create those folder structures or have an ability to help auto-sort files, hence my original question :angel:

Sorry, I reread your original question. And no, even Google is wishy washy on returning results to organize video media. I would maintain that any program would need metadata to move based on type and name, but to do that, it needs to correctly parse what the name/type is anyway... So by doing that plex is already there.

I feel your pain though, it seems everyone focuses on music folders and not video

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Stugazi posted:

Shared my library with a non techy friend who streams via a Chromecast from her house.

My PMS is a Mac Mini so horsepower on my side should be OK.

Newer media that needs to be transcoded refuses to stream on the remote Chromecast. It fails immediately when attempting to play with a very quick "failed to cast" error.

If I try to play the media to my phone and not cast it the media plays pretty well.

Not sure where to begin troubleshooting.

Look up the FAQ to see where logs are stored for your OS, and take a look at the " Plex Media Server.log" file. It contains a record of all requests to PMS and how streaming/transcoding went.

Its a good first step. You should be able to directly relate the media id to the one seen on the plex.TV/web interface, when you view info about a particular thing.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Im reading some of the plex transcoding FAQ, and they give a very general, reccomended benchmark for a server doing transcoding. I see that my core2Duo setup is 7(!) years old at this point, and benchmarks at 800-1200 on a scale where 2000 is where i should be.

I'm considering an i7 for the extra cores, and threaded processes but will I see a bigger difference over i5 ? I will stream single transcoding 80% of the time, but i can see 3-4 streams at a time a small percentage of the time. Also this is my main server, so some other processes will be running.

I'm looking for real world benchamarks as I cant get a reliable handle on what plex is actually chugging on. But the difference in processor cost is like $60-$80

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I was streaming single streams fine on my Celeron G3220 and moved up to the cheapest i3 4130 only because I wanted to do multiple streams. I think the i7 is totally overpowered for what you want and a high end i3 or low-mid i5 should handle multistreams fine

I've found the Plex forums to be a pretty decent source to get an idea of what is needed. Haswell is very good for 1080p streaming at low wattage now.

Right, this is the biggest debate. I need a new CPU, and its come down to a $190 i5 4670k (or slightly cheaper low power 4570S) vs a i7-4770. The price difference is just $50-$60, but will I see benefit in multi-threaded applications much like plex is. I intend to have this hardware for many years to come, so I'm banking on the upcharge over years. Haswell is pretty good, but will those extra 4 HT cores give me benefit running multiple transcoding streams, at the same time my server is running other intensive things (torrents, minecraft server, etc)

$60 is pretty meh over a 5+ year lifespan.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
all a moot point, since microcenter is -crazy-. Turns out w/ mobo buying a i7-4770k was cheaper then the non k, and only $20 more then the i5 .. sooo yeah, i just got it

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Are you running out of transcoding juice ? Tail the logs, grep for "speed" and see what you are arctually transcoding at. anything below 1 means you are stuttering. Depending on buffer you can handle a few occasionally, but not constant.

Before I upgraded my server, i found that it was better to raise the encoding level to MAX, and let my media play directly vs a blanket transcode to 4 MBPS 720p. Media that contains DTS, or anything unknown will always require a transcode regardless

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Colt Cannon posted:

Version0.9.9.7.429

Nope, I am able to stream to everything else just fine. Only on my Chromecast do I have the issue.

I looked through the logs, and never see any issues with my speed. What logs should I look at?

My machine is on 8 GB ram, i5 4570 3.2G, and is pretty new.

https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

Plex Media Server.log is what you want to look at (also make sure you have debugging on) .. examine that log for something with 'speed; in it

code:

Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG -  * progress => 47.7
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG -  * size => -38
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG -  * speed => 8.1
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG -  * remaining => 4253
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] DEBUG - It took 0.000000 sec to serialize a list with 0 elements.
Apr 11, 2014 21:55:37 [0x7f4e2a7fc700] VERBOSE - Completed request: PUT /video/:/transcode/session/szqpgpcklxlayvi/progress?progress=47.7&size=-38&speed=8.1&remaining=4253: 2200

anything above 1 is transcoding fsater then realtime... below one you are lagging.. and supposedly 1.0 exactly is direct play no transcoding.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Colt Cannon posted:

I just dug through all the logs I had. All of them have my speed way up there, 20+. The only time it went below that, was when I attempted to stream a twitch server, and it was at like .1, but I remember that the twitch stream took forever to load up for some drat reason.

I also do not have Plexpass.

The only other thing it could be is spotty interweb or interference. I have awesome transcoding,but had stuff stuttering due to my bandwidth being eaten up by torrents.

Internal I would check for what signal strength the cc gets. Im not aware of band with tools for it though.

I highly suggest killing off cable. I have an ooma box coming, and I got a roku 3,to supliment my video from Plex.. But I'm debating on keeping it since I would quite often lose sound, forcing me to mute and unmute the TV. The android Plex interface is nicer then the roku one though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

FunOne posted:

Where do I change this setting?

Plex.TV/web. (The place you watch shows via browser). Settings ==>web--->player

This is the maximum that will play before transcoding. If you have a SD low birrate content, 720p will not transcoded,but direct play (unless something is not compatable). High 1080p 10mbs content will ALWAYS transcode at the 720p setting. This is the up too setting.

Individual devices can also request bit rates up to this max setting. If you cast content, you must set first, then cast.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I always suspected the cc profile was bunk. Does this affect android in general vs cc? Like, if I play a movie on my phone its one profile, then cast it its another?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I love the Plex interface on my android device, as well as the web browser, but the roku interface sucks rear end. Has anybody edited an XML or had it use a different profile or something?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
FireTV dispite the 'war' between content and the app stores ?

I have to say the roku is winning out for me due to the channel content for kids. If fireTV a\had even a fraction of it i would switch. Provided there looks to be long term support and updates.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can sideload the android apk of HBO GO onto the Fire TV as long as you have a mouse (or maybe a controller?) to control it. You can do the same thing with Firefox/Flash.

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/connect-adb.html
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2703716

I plugged my Logitech Unifying Reciever into the USB and it saw my Wireless Trackball m570/Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 no problem.

Kindle Freetime is coming next month :)

drat. Is there anyplace where I can read details on that? I have two kids I want to limit but it won't work if its one or account.

I might just have to get this vs the roku

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

FireTV runs plex well, I'm not sure if my setup transcodes or not however.

i just picked one up myself. Did you side load or use the (outdated?) amazon app store version ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Amazon app store version. It was on sale for $1 and I had a couple of dollars in amazon coins, it seemed to make sense to pick it up for free.

i agree, $1 is no brainer.. but its back to $5 (a whopping $5!!!) that i dont feel like spending especially since i bought this app multiple times via google play store and roku. having a seperate amazon app store annoys the hell out of me

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
First, try one of those open port checkers to see if 32400 is -really- open

I had a similar issue where I set up a new router and forwarding, but Plex.TV could not see it. Reboot the router and restart the pkexmediaserver.

If you STILL have issues, we can try adding someone to your library to see if its a local issue or what.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
That seems a little weird, as the only time I ever use the server ip directly was during setup. Then I entered myplex I'd, and from then on, all interaction with the server was done via http://plex.tv/web

Plex for android also uses the myplex I'd, and I did have issues until I opened that port

One thing during setup I had to manually specify to run on port x, the default was 32400. If I let Plex manage that itself, I could not see it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

ZHamburglar posted:

So I'm looking to build a computer that will function as a full time Plex Server. I plan on putting it in my living room on top of my TIVO and next to my modem. I wanted to place it next to the modem that way it'll have faster speed by ethernet than by wifi. My current plan is to transfer my current hard drive onto that computer and use that computer as solely a Plex server and Usenet computer that uses my TV as the monitor. I was wondering what the best option would be as far as a single tower to buy or build. It doesn't matter what whether the operating system, but the cheapest that will be able to stream 1080p quality videos would be ideal. Thanks in advance.

I went with the latest gen i7 and the cheapest mobo that would support it. 8gb of ram. This is my dedicated server so I use it for other things, but its transcoded like a champ with multiple streams.

You can get away with less, but I would not cheap out on the CPU since it will be in use a long time.

The Plex FAQ SAS 1080p streams need a CPU score on that benchmark site of at least 2000, so there is a wide range of things to choose. Just remember that cores are key, you can get away with an i3, but you don't want to skimp too much here

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
every layer has it in settings to throttle everything. when you are playing the stream you can also throttle the speed for that stream alone.

plex.tv/web server settings to can also throttle the maximum internal / external limit that any player can get up to.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

bagina posted:

Is there any way to increase the font of the web interface? Running it to my television is awesome but some of the text is so tiny you need to squint.

Is the media type of the app you are using for the TV set to a TV type vs android,etc? That comes with large interfaces.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've just learned of all of this via this thread. I would be interested to know for a given stream (local or remote) what the speed value was so i can gauge over time how effective my hardware / network is... is this possible with plexwatch ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

CrispKing posted:

I have it set to notify on buffering and connection errors, but there isn't anything specifically for network/hardware monitoring. I figure if it doesn't notify on those conditions then it must be fine with the current streams.

well speed < 1 is technically transcoding falling behind play

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Your media is going to play a big part of it too. A lesser processor is going to be more useful the more you direct play, and simply recut to a different resolution.

I'm on an i7 with almost 100% transcoding audio and video but in hitting bandwidth limits on my outgoing (now mitigated with throttles/QoS on torrents) to the bandwidth of where I am currently streaming too.

Xfinity down the shore on a lovely belkin wireless access point is my issue making me lower quality to 1-2mbit /second, but my transcoding is more then keeping up

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Anjow posted:

If I am looking to save on computational resources on my Plex server, is it better to set the video transcoding to a lower bitrate or a higher bitrate? Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Depends on your source video bitrate.

If you set it to be at a higher rate then the source, and its of a proper type, its a simple direct play hardly any resources used. But your bandwidth may suffer.

Lower the rate to something juuuust lower the the source, but the source is a large file? You will transcode the crap out of it. Also its possible to direct play video but transcoded audio.

So, in general, direct (higher) is better unless you go very low. And it all depends on what you are starting with

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Plex server on ubuntu, seems to absolutely refuse to pick up new media automatically.

I have that checked as the only option, but I've had to revert to a check every 15 min just to handle the updates I get to media throughout the day/night.

Forums have some old threads on it, but is there a comprehensive reason any one has come up with to why it won't get seen. Is this a filesystem timestamp thing with ext4?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
This may be obvious but avoid WD green drives as media dives. I was attracted to the lower power consumption but a 2tb drive bought in April just went tits up yesterday.

I ordered a couple reds to replace everything.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

Ever since I've installed the most recent update, Plex media server doesn't seem to recognize new files. It still sees/plays the old stuff, I don't get any error messages. I run the scans like I always have, and nothing gets added. Stuff I delete is being detected and removed correctly. Has anyone else had this issue? Any troubleshooting steps I should try?

Are you set to update as soon as a new file is detected? That hasn't worked for me in a while, I've had to tell it to explicitly refresh every 15/min or so.

Ubuntu 12 install

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm on Ubuntu, too. Some time in mid-December Plex stopped recognizing new files for me, too. I tried a lot of stuff, but the only thing that worked was buying Filebot and renaming each file (with hardlinks, so that the download wouldn't break from the renaming), then forcing Plex to rescan the directory.

Yes, this is a pain in the rear end. I'm not sure what happened in mid-December, but Plex went from placidly recognizing and playing files to refusing to admit they even existed unless they followed a precise file/directory structure. Note: If you absolutely cannot get Plex to recognize a file, move it into "Home Movies" (configure Plex to have a Home Movies directory); for some reason, most files are recognized and properly cataloged if I move them there. !?!?!?!?

My files are downloaded to a Golding directory, then moved to the /media/type/name folder they are added to or created. Permissions are wide open on the whole directory, and plex sees it easily if I force a scan or schedule one.

It just doesnt see files dropped in anymore for a couple versions.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What was the cost of the hardware needed to add live video in?

Tuner plus antenna? 100% of my TV is streamed or downloaded, so having a live option for news is a big plus.

Edit: looking at the 2 tuner HD option from amazon. This might just be doable unless you have some crazy other cost

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 14, 2015

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I use this and this. You do also have the option of just getting the antenna and hooking it up to your tv.
True, but I am very adamant about keeping everything to one interface. The biggest complaint I get is having to switch HDMI ports or use this box vs that box. Everything is through roku 3 or fire TV depending on the TV.

Plus this let's me use the antenna in a good spot and send signal to the tv way underground that would not enjoy the same signal otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

If I'm looking at either the Fire Stick or the Fire TV, is there a massive reason to prefer the Fire TV if I'm going to be mainly just doing Netflix, Amazon Instant, and streaming Plex from my desktop server? Is the processing power that different?

Hard line vs wireless solves a lot of issues with high bit rate streams.

This answer varies due to your media/wireless type/range