Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Ugh I did not pay attention the new role theme is plex pass only.

When is this 'official'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I'm traveling a lot now for work. Should I go ahead and get a PlexPass subscription?

Only if you need to load up media for network dead zones. And even then is it worth that cost VA manually loading your phone/laptop?

If you have a data plan, or will be in places you can access your home server via the Internet, it's not needed at all

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I originally used a c2d box which barely could keep up, and my i7 works very well internally.

External peeps needed to limit themselves to the lowest 720p stream and if more then one did I sometimes needed to go lower on my cable 10mbit up. My speed with QOS was less then advertised.

Since switching to FiOS 50/50 I can push multiple 1080p streams our no problem.

If your server chokes, try UPping the b it rate to give you a direct stream, this just eats bandwidth depending on source size.

But a large movie sized down to low nitrate will eat CPU cyes

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
im browsing thrugh emby now.. is there a good overview of features ?

My biggest thing right now is forced subtitles. Plex does it but only when they are baked into the mkv.. I would much rather point to opensubtitles.org and use that for the parts i need it only.

It seems to support a similar structure to plex.. So I might be able to get away with it running in parallel with plex using the same media library

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

kri kri posted:

You can run both at the same time, I sometimes do. The things that I like are the open source nature of the project and the fact that most of the settings make more sense then plex. For instance, plex doesn't let other users download media, only the main user/admin can. With Emby you have more control over user accounts, and anyone can download media. Also with Emby you can automatically display subtitles for other users, but its per user account, not a global setting like Plex is. This is nice so my mom can enjoy her subtitles that she would like on each stream, while I prefer to just enable them when I need it. Also Emby lets you store your metadata alongside your media, whereas if you are running Plex you need to do some convoluted server back to just move your server.

I don't know of a good breakdown, maybe just try it out? The server is free to run.

Apologies if this isn't really Plex related but I thought people might be interested.

I did go ahead and grab it, and ran a few tests.

It seemsed to have picked up my movies (/media/Movie/*) but my TV shows did not parse correctly (/media/TV/ShowName)

I had to manually start to resolve a lot of metadata issues.

I am really impressed with the user handling / options/ and individual settings, but the biggest thing I am having trouble finding information on is transcoding details.

I watched a test episode of American Dad at various levels, and my i7 was running across all cores @ 11%, something i see with plex doing a full on transcoding with plex.. but even with plex a huge transcode only taxes the cores 5-6% each

Even at the highest quality I was transcoding.. so it would be nice to see what is direct. I'll be sure to monitor it closely in the future

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Kind of, but since I'm already set to auto I need to tail some debug logs and see what is up.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

emocrat posted:

Can anyone enlighten me about Plex/Ripped media and forced subtitles? I have recently set up a Plex server for my home theater and love it, works basically flawlessly. My content is all ripped from my collection of Blu ray and DVD movies. My issue is that on Blu ray, certain films use forced subtitles for things like translating small bits of foreign language in an otherwise English film. When I rip a disc, I capture the forced subtitle track (if it exists) and it definitely appears in the options in Plex, I can manually turn it on when I go to play a movie, but that's a pain in the rear end. Does anyone know of a way to just make Plex see if there is a forced track and use it? Am I doing something wrong when I rip media?

Plex only has support for subtitles on demand like this when its baked into the video file. External subtitles are always on, and not the 'on demand' style . its possible you can have an alternate subtitle file selected in the same directory that has all entries removed except the needed timestamps and translations, but that is annoying.

its a known issue on the forums, I looked it up a while ago... no plans to address it anytime soon

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The only issue I have with okex at the moment is the absurd clusterfuck between Plex and amazon fire TV with 5.1 (aac ?) In an mkv container.

I wasn't able to get emby running well in parallel and roku, etc. I'll give it another try as I see a lot of updates lately.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What are the ideal settings for Plex on a fire TV? I plugged mine back in at-home after getting back on vacation, and using the experimental player I can get proper playback from mkvs that I normally don't, but it often chokes and says my transfer rate isn't enough to keep up.

This is using a gigabit wired connection on a file that is 3 mbps max '/

Is there a way to test my actual transfer rate? Its never been an issue before, all I did was have it unplugged for a week.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Raymn posted:

If your Fire TV and the Plex server are both wired on the same router you're probably having a playback/transcoding issue instead of a bandwidth issue.

For mkv playback I wasn't able to use the Plex app on my Nexus Player until doing what this person suggested but I also have it connected to my receiver which supports multichannel PCM and seems to be a requirement for this fix. https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/895207/#Comment_895207

so basically im editing plex's settings for android to allow it to pass the audio, because it wasnt before ? dispite checkboxing AAC, etc from the options menu on the firetv?

AC3 audio in MKV containers seems to be a very touchy subject with plex... works everywhere else, except plex on the fire tv... and there is a lot of back and forth on that

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 21, 2015

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Any word on when the new roku stuff is going in or is that ui refresh still Plex pass preview only?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

So I fixed it... but it doesn't make sense to me

I was never able to connect remotely (only on the LAN)

I checked my routers port forwarding, and it must have hosed up with UpnP, because one of the port numbers was wrong for Plex

Changed everything to 32400, and it suddenly worked fine

The not making sense part is I had tried turning on the DMZ last night, that should have eliminated any 'wrong port' problems?

I'm happy it's working, but I'm worried now that my AtV is going alllll the way out into the WAN and then round about back to the PMS, which would quickly chew up my bandwith

Or is this a symptom of needing remote access for authentication? Which is what the problem was all along

I have tried in the past leaving it to the default port and settings with nothing working. When I told Plex to switch the port manually, but left it use the exact same port as before, it magically works.

This was true for my server and a recent one a friend set up.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
On your Plex server setup, manually set the server to use the default port. Then the server will actually listen on that port.

This burned me for a few versions

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Set up the FiOS to just simply pass through your connection, and have your router assume all the router duties.

Its how I have mine working, and it lets you stop renting the FiOS router as well.

Its a couple config pages, a reboot, and good to go.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My original setup was a C2D @3ghz and that choked when i had a large disparity between transcoding and the source bitrate.

I upgraded to a similar i7 and I tested multiple streams transcoding at the same time and the server did not break a sweat. Talking >10mbit video 1080p down to the low end of the video stream.

When playing direct, I could see my cpu go to basically idle, and my upload bandwidth skyrocket .

When I had Comcast/rcn 10mbit uploads I saw stuttering long before approaching that limit,and since switching to FiOS 50/50,I can direct stream multiple 1080p at full bandwidth no problem.

I share my library with a few people, and I have never noticed a problem with them streaming as well as home streaming, and with traffic shaping I can play online or have Netflix going at the same time.

Cliff notes: bandwidth > cpu to a certain level of cpu. But i7 can handle it.

You are going to have issues with the consistency of bandwidth from overseas before transcoding issues.

Oh I did have one problem streaming certain multichannel mkv to a firetv box and had to change containers to mp4, but that is rare enough now.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Anyone using Plex on a Roku 4? Just picked up a check 4k vizio TV and while everything looks nice, I have had some high nitrate stuff and using a wired connection I get some stuttering and freeze on truhd 1080p sources.

I think a dedicated CPU to show it vs the TV is what i need but I don't as hoping to ditch the roku 3 and use everything direct.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Ixian posted:

There are "web clients" (I think the Emby XBone client is still one) but no idea if that would work on LG TVs.

Like I said above, no question Plex has a better client ecosystem than Emby. And the clients themselves are generally better, though that determination is pretty subjective and depends on the device.

Isnt Plex a web client in smart TVs as well. Since it has the same bandwidth limitation as opera browser and is listed as such in usage stats.

I remember this from a discussion a long time ago on why Netflix can stream ten billion pixels and Plex tops out at 8-10? Mbits

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm absolutely sick of my 4k smart TV forcing me to downgrade all my content bitrate because it chokes on it, so I am shopping for a shield or need Roku.

I feel I should get the shield, but I probably dont care enough about the game controller. At this point, I just want it to handle all my content without issue and actually use the one remote to control the drat thing AND the tv. It seems like a holy grail.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
But does the remote turn OFF a Vizio TV? I tyool 2017 I refuse to keep a remote around just to turn the TV on and off. And buying a universal remote defeats everything.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I had a screen harmony for my av setup downstairs to control the speaker system, PlayStation, switch inputs, etc. The system is old enough it needed all that.

In my bedroom, all I have is a tv. I just want to watch Plex/Hulu/Netflix with a minimum of fuss, and I consider buying a harmony to control two modern devices overkill, and using the vizio remote to turn the TV on off and do volume while I use the roku,/shield remote for all the other stuff to be stupid.

Shid has an it blaster with it right? I get it with the Roku as it's rf, but it's a pretty big hole in my tv watching.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I got the email about a cheap Plex pass so I finally bit. Not really craving any of the features yet but I guess I can have fun in the dev update channel and start looking at dvr live TV options..

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TraderStav posted:

What's cheap? I'm showing $119 in my options right now where I thought it was regularly $149.

$75 for lifetime, so I took the bait. I feel they will probably add more features I might like down the line

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Was there ever a consensus on what DVR option / hardware works best overall ? Now that I picked up a PlexPass i might as well explore all the options offered within.

I have no cable option, this would be pure OTA only, and looking at the comparability page the HD Homerun seems to work with my Plex server (Linux) or my more likely upstairs location (Shield)

Am I in for a lot of back and forth or troubleshooting ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I think people have reported it's a personal code and won't work for anyone but the person originally sent to

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

bobfather posted:

I’ve seen one report of that, and multiple reports of people being able to give their code to another. Thought it would be worth a try at least!

Ahh I may be wrong then. Good luck!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
'cause they wanna charge '3d IMAX movie' prices to rent a movie,. More to own it, more for had versions.

It's iTunes split season retarded pricing scheme, and I'm not paying that kind of scratch for poo poo movies.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

What does your not liking the iTunes pricing model have to do with wishing the movies I already own could be in my Plex library?

Meh I combined a few comments and glossed over the 'alresdy owned' part. I'm not sure how you prove that aspect as most DVD/blue Ray's now come with a digital version already. Maybe unique code for each movie?

Either way, I am echoing the comments on fixing what is wrong vs adding useless stuff nobody is asking for.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What was your space saving? If any..

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Set it up new, but create a logical partition. Move data over to it, then format the old drives and add them to the same partition. Now you can enjoy all that space together

I am also a very big fan of getting a small (but good quality) SSD to be the dedicated os drive. That way your os is separate from all your data drives, and you can have the os get hosed without losing all your data. I had this happen when I used a cheap SSD in tthe past.

I wish I took my own advice in part 1, as I started adding a 2tb drive one for a TV and one for a movie mounting point. Now I need to expand and it's difficult to add to the same volume

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
wasnt there some mention a while (like a LONG while back) that Netflix and other dedicated streaming services use something special via their app, but plex and related are effectively using chome or similar web browsing interface, which is effectively limited in the amount of bandwidth its allowed to use on most smart TVs ?

Or am i horribly misrepresenting / remembering some topic ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I built a plex server that has been running like a champ for year now, i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, but i stupidly set up 2 separate 2TB drives on their own partition, which are starting to top out.

My plan is to grab a couple more 6TB drives, and redo the whole thing with logical partitions, but i moved the whole thing into a 1U rackmount for my closet. Can anyone recommend a good rackmount HDD enclosure I can pop all these into? Or should i just bite the bullet and redo it all in a much bigger case and keep it all together ... which might even let me throw an old NVIDIA card (TC 660 Ti) for better transcoding ?

Up until 4K content, this CPU has handled everyting I have thrown at it, and I have the bandwidth to play direct to shield TV remote and local. I feel that I am on the cusp of a few decisions

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe?

I only recently got some 4k content accidentally in my automatic scripts and plex needed to transcode both audio and video. Mkv container 10 bit something or other and 7.1 audio. Plex took a long time to transcode enough of a buffer to start playing

CPU under 'top' seemed to show plex transcoding spiking between 30-70% usage . Typically I can transcode multiple streams flawlessly which is my use case and why I built a beast CPU for this in the first place.

I didn't troubleshoot it too much between what shield would display direct vs what I needed to recode too, because I can't handle 57gb files just yet, hence the other part of my question

I basically have about that free on the movie drive and I only recover it because I am dumping movies that just really suck after watching them.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Turns out i didnt delete one yet, so i did some experiments:

Hardwired PC
4K (HEVC Main 10 HDR) --> 1080P (H264)—Transcode

Shield TV wireless
wont direct play video due to lack of bandwdth, but seems to crash when truehd7.1 is selected, only when i select trancode ac3 5.1 will it even start to play

Lots of buffering and if any other client (the PC) starts playing, the shield play stops.

Looks like I need to get around to hard wiring my main living room. the wireless bandwith was always sufficient to direct play content before, but i never went huge movies due to the 2tb limit on the drive i am using.. also time to up all my storage

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the insight on the CPU / transcoding issues. That still leaves me with storage space concerns. Is there a viable rackmount(preferable) HDD enclosure via sata connection that I can add drives to, or am I better off getting a bigger rack case and mounting dries internal?

I don't care for RAID x+y levels... while it wold suck to lose my content, my OS / plex info is on a separate SSD and everything is just download time. I would rather have 6TB drives x 2 = 12tb of storage vs 6tb of faster access and hot swap

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It finally fixed that stupid bug on shield where Plex would never show your on Deck or recent shows unless you edited a setting or switched users

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have the older shield tv and I had to switch a couple audio sources away from truehd to another type for transcoding issues/ slowness.

The video was 4k, but I think it got confused and tried to do video as well, which I prevent. Might have been a subtile thing too. I with tatuli differentiated transcodes between audio (ok) and video (please stop) in the logs

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I notice this when my family mistakenly uses Plex on the tv vs the shield. 4k wireless maxes out at 100-114 Mbps according to my Plex dashboard, and I get buffering

Using the shield direct with Ethernet with obviously higher bandwidth and less transcoding I lose the buffer/stittert

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

If there is no compelling reason to have your TV on the internet I would disable it. The shield can likely do everything they want but way better. Way easier to have a forcing function and quick re-education than deal with complaints over time.

Yes I'm going that path. It was nice to get firmware updates and cast to the tv directly instead of to the tv via shield, and using the LG remote with it's built-in Netflix, etc button was convinced.

Netflix has awesome compression to send uhd 4k to the oked, aoni didn't mine using it via the native app.

That remote is pretty beat up now, and the new shield remotes are cool, Soni might just replace it then and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I was okay with the old Amazon TV, the stick was horrible, but the recent 4k sticks ($25) have been perfect.

Original Nvidia shield still chugs along, but having the new style remote is a huuuge boon. Going to snag another to replace this LG remote because I keep launching the TV version of Netflix app vs hitting back, and it's annoying

I really hate Javi g Amazon and Android in the same house, because they are two opposite ends of the same thing. Amazon video does open like a champ on the stock though :)