Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

teagone posted:

I wish. The dog rear end interface that hasn't been updated in forever is one of the reasons I stopped using my Roku for Plex.
They're actually overhauling the interface for version 3.0 of the Roku channel: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/27134-plex-for-roku/?p=624889

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.
They're starting to apply the "subscribers get new versions first" model to the playback apps which they already charge for if you aren't a subscriber. They're doing it to the Android app at least and I would expect them to do it to the Roku app if they can (although the pace of development for Roku is so low that they may not have the nerve). The iOS app costs $4.99 whether you subscribe or not so there's already no benefit there.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000

Anjow posted:

If I am looking to save on computational resources on my Plex server, is it better to set the video transcoding to a lower bitrate or a higher bitrate? Apologies if this is a stupid question.
I don't think the bitrate has a big effect on transcode speed, the quality setting is much more important. You can try the "Prefer higher speed encoding" but if you're already doing that you can tweak the transcoder settings even more by setting things like the preset and/or rate factor in TranscoderH264OptionsOverride (see https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201105343-Advanced-Server-Settings). I don't know what settings Plex uses but I believe they are already biased towards faster transcoding rather than best quality. Also, no matter what you do I think that transcoding will use 100% CPU until it transcodes the whole file, faster settings just make it finish faster.

If you have a slowish Plex server but a faster desktop or other computer you can pre-transcode for your playback device using Handbrake. Then Plex should Direct Play or Direct Stream everything without engaging the transcoder.

Edit: info on x264 settings: http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings. I would stick to setting the preset and crf, keep in mind that lower crf -> higher quality.

The Dude fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 23, 2014