Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

kri kri posted:

Just stumbled across the new subtitle addon, might be worth looking into. Ever since opensubtitles addon decided to download 20 different subtitles for my movies I have been looking for something else. To get rid of them you need to remove the library and re-add it :laugh:

https://github.com/Diaoul/subliminal

Not tired subiminal, but the duplicate subtitles problem is a bug in the opensubs agent. If you provide a username/pass in the opensubtitles options, it will duplicate the subtitles every time you refresh the movie in the plex library. This is because the agent uses the URL to determine if the subs have already been fetched, and for some reason opensubtitles randomises he download URL for logged-in users. The solution is to disable the subtitles agent, force refresh the library, enable the subs agent without login details and force refresh again.

EDIT: Also, anyone know who they are licensing the movie extras from? It seems like a strange business model; providing DVD extras to people who almost certainly pirated the original content.

DashingGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

bryn987 posted:

Finally got Plex to work with Private Internet Access!

Could you elaborate on your setup? I have the same combo working by using some janky bash bullshit to lookup the various IPs of plex.com, then some iptables mangle fuckery to bypass the VPN on those IPs and the Plex ports. Are you using the PIA port forwarding function and feeding that port into Plex?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
PIA on the server. I don't expect it would be a problem at all on the clients? My server if offline at the moment though, so can't test. My per-port and per-IP VPN bypass actually seems to be reasonably robust – as much as a bash script that relies on pinging external services can be – and I need it for some other stuff anyway. Just curious how others have rigged it.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

kri kri posted:

There are actually a bunch of nice skins but you need to wade through the plex forums.

Any particular recommendations? The wading is a pain.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

Is this possible with Plex, or should I look for another solution?

This is one of the best use cases for Plex. You need to run Plex Home Theater on your PC, then click the little chromecast icon in the Plex android app and select the target player. Any items you select on the android app will then play on the chosen device. It works great!

As for starting Plex Home Theater remotely, you will need to set it up via some third-party app. I use an SSH android app for managing my Linux media PC/server and have a little script attached to a homescreen icon that will launch or kill Home Theater when clicked.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Zero The Hero posted:

This is what you were referring to when you said you used a third party app, right? Is that something you wrote yourself, or is that something I can download on my Android?

Yeah. The latter. There are all kinds of PC remote control programs available for Android. On Windows you most likely you will have to run some kind of small server app on the PC. Something like this should do the trick, but maybe someone else has a better recommendation.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Have you seen their forums? It's not going down well. The line from the devs is "hang in there, we can iterate this thing much faster now tat it's our own codebase and we will fix it".
I mean, a lot of the whining is classic :qq: my use case :qq: and I can see both why they would choose to ditch Kodi and why they would go with a stripped-down UI to start with. Still, the navigation experience right now is just not good. I think the backlash would be a lot less intense if their UI layout was better - and this is luckily something that's fixable. Let's see what it looks like in a few months.

I'm guessing DaRealAce is confusing Plex Home Theater and Plex Media Server? If that's the case (media server on PC -> Plex on Android -> casting to Chromecast on TV) then this new player does not affect you at all. It's just another player application that can play media from your library, does not affect the server bit.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

Anyone have an option to remote access behind a VPN (PIA, specifically). I'm running everything (Plex, Sickbeard, etc.) off an old desktop- I can access everything remotely through port forwarding except Plex. There's a script that's been floating around to get around PIA, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

What OS? I've done this on Linux, had to do some iptables wizardry to selectively bypass the VPN for the plex domains and ports. It's hacky - I have a script that scrapes a list of plex IP addresses, then sets some iptables rules to route these through the standard internet connection. I can post it if it might be of use.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Do you guys have video preview thumbnails enabled? These take a whole bunch of space (and CPU time to generate). They are also almost entirely pointless. You should be able to delete existing ones in the advanced settings for the library.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Just checked and mine clocks in at 19 GB, so yeah, guess they do just get that big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
For me, running ethernet to my server would mean ripping up several walls, so I have it on AC wifi. I have tried a couple of brands of power line adapters and they were either too slow or unreliable - with random dropouts every minute or so. My current wifi set-up gives me ~300 mbit on the LAN and is 99.9% reliable, but it took some serious tinkering to get it there – the default linux drivers for the wifi stick were too slow, some versions would drop out randomly, one was reliable, except it invariably dropped connection when streaming anything to an ipad (and nothing else). I had to ditch NetworkManager for systemd-networkd, and so on and so forth. In short, run a cable at least between server and router, if it's at all possible.

Powerline adapter speed ratings are a bold-faced lie to start with and their performance depends hugely on your house's wiring – if the signal has to cross any circuit breakers it cripples the speed massively.