Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I just moved into an apartment and I'm looking to expand my home network quite a bit. I have a few threads bookmarked (Home network, NAS, HTPC) but I figured since I'd also like to get Plex (or Subsonic) set up properly on this network, it'd be best to start here.

Currently I just use a desktop that I run Subsonic from for my music. It works great but I'd like to be able to turn my computer off and still stream. I'm thinking of getting a NAS to store all my media, an HTPC to stream the media to the TV, and a Steam Link to stream games from my desktop to the TV. So my question is where is the best place to install and run Plex from? I'm thinking of digging out my PS3 and using that as an HTPC with PS3 Media Server for now, but I assume running Plex/Subsonic from that is out of the question. Is it worth springing for a NAS that's beefy enough for Plex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Minidust posted:

I've used Plex for some home video files in the past. Now I'm trying it with music for the first time. I'm noticing that it seems to do its own thing with a lot of my album titles, disregarding the metadata.

For example, I'll have several singles by an artist, with embedded titles that all end in " - Single". This displays fine in iTunes, but in Plex I may have one title listed as " - Single", one as " (Single)," and one as " [Single]." I wouldn't really mind if this info was being auto-populated for the first time - but since I've already gone to the trouble of tagging everything consistently, it's annoying.

Can I force by own titles to be recognized without manually re-editing the labels in Plex? Or is it an all-or-nothing deal where I'd have to lose things like the Last.FM artist descriptions too?

I know, :spergin: problems, but I figured Plex was supposed to cater to this type of thing.

Subsonic is to music what Plex is to videos. They can both do both, but they're tailored for their respective focuses.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 14, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There's no thread, but I don't see why there can't be any Subsonic chat here. I'm not sure why you're not seeing your albums, may have to do a refresh or something along those lines. Maybe it's established you have that amount of albums, but it still needs to take time to index everything? Normally (on my instance at least) there's a drop down list just above the 'Refresh' link on the left hand side where you select your library. Once you select your library then the left hand lists all the artists and the main view populates with album covers.

EDIT: Maybe double check the user access settings for the library in the Users settings.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 16, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Minidust posted:

That was it! I had to manually grant access to the media folder after I added/scanned it. Thanks! Which interface do you tend to use... the web page or one of the various apps?

I almost always use the android app as I listen to music on my phone a lot, the fact I can swipe for the next song makes me unreasonably happy. I still use Spotify mostly, but Spotify doesn't have all the music I have on my server, so I use Subsonic to fill in those gaps.