Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I am wanting to get a cheap as possible small computer to act as a Plex server for my house. I am not serving up to multiple units at once, it will either stream to a Roku in my living room or a roku in my bedroom, and never at the same time. I would like it to be able to transcode 1080p here and there, but most stuff is 720p. Searching various boxes yields mixed results on the viability of the unit/processor to be able to handle transcoding, so I thought I would ask here.

I was looking at this particular unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164017 and I have received mixed info via various reviews from different sites about its suitability. It seems like it works just fine as a Plex client but there isn't a lot of info as to how it works as a server. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

teagone posted:

That's a pretty gimped CPU for Plex server duties. What's your budget? Something like this would be a lot better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102002&cm_re=Core_i3_NUC-_-56-102-002-_-Product

I didn't really have a set budget in mind, I was just trying to think of a way to keep things nice and cheap. Its not something that would get every day use, but if the Celeron isn't up to the task then I am not really saving money in the end. I might see if I can scrounge up a few extra parts and just get the one you posted and use that.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

I guess I'm the odd duck. I already had a PC acting as a DVR with Windows Media Center, so transcoding is simple for me since I just run Plex on that. I still keep my media and stuff on an inexpensive NAS that's too weak to transcode, because at least that gives it a little redundancy.

I have had no problems with Plex getting the media from a network drive, transcoding it, and serving it locally or remotely using gigabit Ethernet.

I have a PC that can transcode the files no problem, but the cost of leaving it on in the event that I want to use Plex would make my power bill rediculous.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I am trying one based in the Netherlands, but streaming seems to be jerky, and I can't get sickbeard and sabznd to work together, something on their end is preventing it from working well and their support has been worse than useless.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Based on all of the sites I saw that specifically will host a Plex server, they all charge a fair price but you don't get a lot of HD space and, at least based on the one I tested, not a ton of processing power. There are other companies out there that offer more space and processing power, but that starts costing a lot more money, which at that point it no longer makes financial sense to host it online.

I think I will just end up sucking it up and getting an i5 NUC, the power draw seems to be small enough that it should have a minimal impact on my power bill. Right now its not a big deal, but once temps start hitting 108 in the summer, well the A/C comes on and that will be the real test.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I am wanting to get something that at least looks nice sitting on my entertainment stand and I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Sphere-...%2Cp_89%3AZOTAC

Seems like it would work pretty well, I don't see anything that stands out that would make it terrible.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

That seems like the most traditional method but I want to be able to put a 2TB hard drive in it, and all of these NUC's only take the M.2 hard drives, and I dont really want to use an external drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Krailor posted:

Uhhhh... the one I linked to literally has '2.5-inch drive support' in its name.

Oh, I didn't see that one, I was looking at the one directly above my last post.