Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

sellouts posted:

Plex improved greatly when I got my own modem and a decent router.

Quality of life improves when you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

What dicks. Dumping PHT for this and requiring plex pass.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Maneki Neko posted:

What, just need plex pass for the preview

"It’ll be free for everyone after the preview period."

That will be 2 years from now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I think the TV metadata agent is currently borked for adding new TV series to your library.

Edit: I take that back, I had a new series add properly, I just have one that refuses to even though it is on TVDB.

Moey fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 23, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

feedmegin posted:

...how is this a cheaper or better option than a low spec PC

It isn't.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

iajanus posted:

Plex is having more issues; it randomly says a moment after starting that the connection isn't fast enough, then works perfectly next time I try. Nothing has changed in the setup :/

I was helping a friend troubleshoot this last week. It was something recent with Windows update. He rolled back and it worked fine.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

porktree posted:

I have a Samsung Smart TV with Plex built in. It works great 90% of the time, but when I loose my internet (gently caress you uverse), I can no longer connect to my server - I still have wifi, can see the server on the network, the only thing that can't happen is a connection to the outside.

It really seems like this is a client issue (and the app on the smart tv seems old and unconfigurable), but I thought I'd ask to see anyone knew of a work-around. Also, I can still use my iPad to watch stuff when the internet is down.

You can specify network segments on the server to allow for "unauthenticated access", so just put your LAN segment in there (probably 192.168.1.0/24 ).

Edit: Go to Settings, Network, Show Advanced then:

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 19, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
600 movies and 100 shows. 12.5gb

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Plex VM only has a 60gb OS drive (on an underlying SSD). With the cheap price of SSD, I don't see a reason to move it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

89 posted:

Man, why does the Xbox One Plex app have to be so lame? I always assumed my collection was too big and that's why it lagged....then I got a PS4 and a Samsung Smart TV and was like ".....oh."

Mine seems slow as crap too. Used a friend's Xbox and it was fast as can be.

No idea of why.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TheScott2K posted:

Am I the only weirdo using an Xbox One as a Plex client?

I do sometimes, the performance for me browsing media is trash.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You can get lightning to HDMI cheaper than 50.

Also the cheap Android boxes can playback 1080p fine. I have a Nexbox S905x that was dirt cheap and chugs along.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Foo - S01E01 - Episode Name

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

DJ Burette posted:

Haven't they been collecting anonymised usage data for years anyway? I'm struggling to work out what all the uproar is about except for the fact that you can no longer opt out. Is there more I'm missing?

It's the beginning of the end!!!!!!!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

EngineerJoe posted:

Nothing even comes close

This. I don't have to micromanage currently.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

OldSenileGuy posted:

AppleTV 4K supports HEVC (which is the same as h265 I think?) according to the spec sheet. Does that mean the Plex App should be able to stream H265 files on the local network without transcoding? Or does the Plex app need to do some kind of update to allow that?

It may need an update for the device profile, other than that, nothing different.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I heard people of saying add the lifetime subscription to your cart and just leave it for a week or so. An email magically appeared after that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Blue On Blue posted:

Just fyi for anyone on the fence. I bought a new tv that supports the native plex app and it's great

Way better than using an older Apple tv with the hacked in app

What TV?

My old 2013 LG LN5400 is pretty sluggish with the Plex app, DLNA is nice a quick (but lame looking).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Yerrr fancy 2017 model is nice and fast.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Wow, I have never had any issues with the wen interface update working.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I did nothing and got the same email today....only thing similar is the age of our Plex accounts.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TheScott2K posted:

Most people whose Windows won't stop loving up are doing something dumb. Events like that update that broke intranet video streaming for a few days are rare.

Windows 10 is still a festering pile of poo poo because of all the telemetry and Candy crush installs that come back with every uspdate. It's a pain in the Enterprise world too.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Diddler posted:

I keep hearing that, but somehow Candy Crush has never *ever* come back on any of my computers at home. It's almost like it might be...

EDIT: If you're running Win10 home or pro in an enterprise, you get what you pay for. Almost everything people complain about in the enterprise world is solved via running Win10 enterprise and configuring your GPOs.

FAKEEDIT: I run Plex on a Server 2012R2 VM. It's rock solid, but it's prolly not for everyone.

Yeah, I'm currently stuck with Pro on our work machines, been pushing for Enterprise for a while now, I think 2019 may be the year finally.

I'm about to start the process of migrating my Plex VM from Win 7 to Server 2016 (or maybe wait for 2019).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

teagone posted:

Me. Have had this issue for a while. Was told on Plex forums that RT scores take priority, but will fall back to IMBb scores if scraper can't find RT. I don't buy that tho.

Same issue, never looked into it though. Would be nice if RT just worked (or the scraper).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dren posted:

i’m not surprised it took a while. supporting the ivy bridge chipsets requires using a totally separate version of the Intel SDK so it’s kind of a pita to build software against both

you’re getting an h.265 software decode + an h.264 hardware encode, there was no h.265 support in desktop chips until Sandy Bridge

I'm guessing this is a Plex pass only feature?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Tautulli (formerly PlexPy) does great history tracking for you and other users. Also good for monitoring bandwidth and concurrent stream info.

https://tautulli.com

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Passmark for the e5-2690 is only 13.6k.

Edit: it's dual socket, I'm an idiot.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Shumagorath posted:

I fully re-wire my patch panel and poo poo still buffers on me at the climax of a Thrones episode. I loving give up; time to buy more shelves for Blurays.

From someone who is watching Game of Thrones currently via Plex and XB1, please elaborate more on your setup.

Server/storage specs? Network gear?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FCKGW posted:

If you have separate accounts you can also creep on what they watch and mock them mercilessly for watching A Bad Show

A bad show that you downloaded and are storing and hosting.

Packrats unite.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

wolfbiker posted:

Every time I wake up my Shield to watch something, the goddamn Google Promotional Apps spotlight thing is on the home screen, and I always remove it only for it to return again later. Does this happen to anyone else?

Saw this earlier.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/5/18296639/android-tv-home-screen-ads-google-sony-tv-nvidia-shield-xiaomi-sponsored-channel

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Atomizer posted:

This is what I've done, but I'll point out that it gets confused by titles that are intentionally separated into two with "Part" in their title; for example it had The Hunger Games Mockingjay Parts 1 & 2 together as the same individual movie. I actually had to incorrectly rename the files (to something like "volume 1" or just leave the number in) to get it to match appropriately.

You can split files it auto-joins within Plex itself, that's what I did for these.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
You can change your auth settings to keep Plex chugging along during an internet outage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/amp/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Motronic posted:

* Each of the CPUs.

I still need to actually read about GPU transcoding and figure out if I should shove one in that server

Yeah, it isn't quite double on dual CPU boards.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2670+%40+2.60GHz&id=1220&cpuCount=2

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I used robocopy not too long ago on a 25tb dataset, still works.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
It was surprisingly good on my old 2014 LG smart TV. Have not tested it on there recently, maybe I'll give it a rip and see how dated it feels.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Mobile sync is the only feature I am really interested in. My current process is just copy movies/tv to my tablet via SMB share whenever I am traveling.

If I subscribe to Plex pass, do any/all remote users on my server have the ability to do mobile sync as well?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

teagone posted:

On-the-fly transcoding used to be like THE feature of Plex, but nowadays client devices support a broad spectrum of codecs that allow them to play content back without requiring a server transcode. The only limiting factor that induces server transcodes these days is internet speeds for remote clients.

Ideally, if there's enough internet bandwidth available and your friends have client devices that support the codecs your media has been encoded in (likely), your friends can play back content from your Plex server directly with no transcoding/quality degradation. That said, Plex transcoding is still pretty baller and the quality is really good, even if it has to transcode down a 20 Mbps 1080p file to 4 Mbps 720p. As mentioned, this requires more power, thus putting more tax on your Plex server CPU. Having a Plex pass enables Hardware Transcoding, which helps alleviate some of that power tax.

God forbid I have a few 10tbs in an MKV container and my pals like the fire tv.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ancient Aliens has a few strange seasons in there that I stopped trying to make sense of.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I think a lot of their sales are now targeted, but once or twice a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have, in my opinion, a super sweet tech forward 2020 setup for stuff. It costs me $24 a month, but I like it. I have a VPS with unmetered bandwidth that I installed rClone onto connected to an unlimited Google Drive where I store all my media files. Then just the basic Plex Media Server install connected to the mounted rClone folders. The unlimited Google Drive is $9/m through Google, and then the VPS is $15. It does some other things too, but for the sake of explanation, it’s just a VPS.

Makes it a ton easier for me to connect to my media from wherever and not have to worry about my own personal connection. Bonus is the VPS connection speed being 40Gbps.

How are you getting unlimited Drive for $9?

Everything I have seen is super hacky.