Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

teagone posted:

I wish. The dog rear end interface that hasn't been updated in forever is one of the reasons I stopped using my Roku for Plex.

I've been using plex on an old roku lt, and it's dog slow... at least compared to my android devices. Would the interface be any faster on the Roku 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

teagone posted:

Speed of the UI isn't really an issue on the Roku, so yes in that regard. It's just it looks and navigates worse than the Netflix/YouTube Roku channels.

Yea, I know what you mean. Plex on everything else has a pretty similar interface, but the implementation on Roku is just not great. Honestly, I'm probably just gonna pick up a Fire TV to replace this roku lt.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Rirse posted:

Did Plex just change the web app appearence out of nowhere? I was adding some content on my computer just now and it got stuck at a point so I had to close out the program. When I go into the web app afterwards the layout has changed to look more like the launcher and the only options on the main page is "recently added" and "channels" with the sidebar being all the pages.

Sort of. It's the same interface now as if you were to log in to your web interface from plex.tv

I'm not sure how it all worked, but there were two seperate web apps (of a different version) depending on how you accessed it.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Medullah posted:

I'm very confused - I tried to stream an episode of a show to my tablet yesterday, Plex server set up just fine on my main computer and streams just fine to my HTPC, but when I tried to use the Plex app to stream to my Android tablet it said "Unable to view this type of media". I tried to stream it to my phone and it worked just fine there (Android as well). My tablet is a bit long in the tooth, and I think only on 4.1 - would that have anything to do with it?

I've had this issue before when I set up the plex client on the tablet to not transcode audio. It was trying to send audio that the tablet couldn't decode, and thus wouldn't work. So check your settings on your tablet and compare them to your phone.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I recently bought a NUC Celeron to install Openelec with PHT, and it's been a massive pain in the rear end. When it works, it works great. I mainly wanted it, so I can get proper surround sound to my receiver (Fire TV only did stereo) and remote integration with my Logitech Harmony. Basically I wanted to make it family friendly, but it's been anything but.

-The wifi antennas in that thing is terrible, so I ended up running a 75 foot ethernet cable to it. That fixed the network issues (sort of).
-Then I had frequent HDMI handshake issues, where the NUC would be on, but there would be no display. Sometimes I got sound, sometimes I didn't. After some research, it's a semi common annoyance between certain receivers/displays and pc hardware. Ended up buying this: http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZUW And it completely solved the hdmi handshake problem. It's expensive, but even if I get rid of the NUC, I'm keeping this little device.
-Also put an ssd in it for nearly instant boot time.
-Openelec with PHT has some weird default settings that cause the screen to flicker in menus that you're going to have to change. On top of that, it configures audio settings incorrectly, resulting in no audio. No biggie, but annoying.
-And lastly, probably the biggest dealbreaker, is that even though it's wired, it sometimes fails to login to Plex. Instead of the menu displaying the categories (TV Shows, Movies, Music, etc), all it says is search. Usually pressing left on the main menu and switching users fixes the issue and logs back in, but that's an extra step that I shouldn't have to do. And, trying to communicate that to a tech illiterate family, absolutely doesn't work.

So we're basically back to using the chromecast, which works 99% of the time (there's occasional issues where it can't be found on the network). But it does support surround, but adds in the minor inconvenience of having to use a tablet/phone to control it instead of the remote.

Perhaps I'll try installing xbmc/kodi on it, and try out plexbmc. Maybe that'll work better.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Have to agree, and I got a Roku TV (the TCL one). Handles maximum quality (20mb/s) 1080p streams via plex which look great, too.

Man, the Roku 3 I bought, really can't handle anything over 10mb 1080 streams. Some work fine, but some others will start introducing major artifacts. This is consistent with several 1080p files and among all my roku 3s. Backing down the quality to 8mb in the plex app usually fixes it.

This is a wired connection too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

teagone posted:

That's not right at all, something is up either with your server, your Roku, or your network. When I had a Roku 3, I was able to direct play everything at full quality, no transcoding, without issue.

I don't really think it's anything wrong with my server, or network. In fact, my server/network setup is probably overkill for plex in general. These same files that choke on the Roku 3 play perfectly via PHT, even on stuff like that Celeron NUC without transcoding. They're fairly high bitrate mkvs (don't know the exact, off the top of my head) though. Perhaps I have the roku 3 misconfigured, that's certainly a possibility, because I don't see that happening on any of the other plex clients I've used.

Backing down the quality so that it forces a transcode isn't really a huge deal for me. I honestly don't notice the difference too much at the 8mb 1080p setting.

But what is vastly more annoying to me, is Plexweb having the audio out of sync. I notice it's really only on video files that don't have a stereo audio stream, so it's transcoding the audio and direct playing the video, and doesn't sync them up properly. If I change it so that it's transcoding the video as well, all is in sync fine. It's annoying because when I'm at my computer, I play the vast majority of my stuff via plex web. Whenever I encounter the oos audio, I either switch the transcoding video on (not ideal) or use the windows 8 store plex app, which works perfectly fine.

I've pretty much tried Plex on everything you can run it on. And no plex client is perfect... each one is annoying in a different way from the last.