Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Pinball posted:

Yeah, but I'm right on the border between moderately and profoundly deaf, so for me, subtitles are a necessity. This sucks, I was all excited about setting up a streaming media server that could automatically fetch subs. I've asked on the Plex forums; hopefully they can help.

Did you make an account on opensubtitles? It didn't work for me until I created an account and out the details in the settings for opensubtitles in plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Unacknowledged posted:

While that is definitely a good thought, I'd primarily be using this at people's homes for photos and movies and stuff. In that scenario, it sounds like it should work well. I think I remember reading that once you initiate the playback on the chromecast via my phone, the connection is then made directly between the chromecast and the plex server directly, and my phone is out of the loop, right?

That's correct. No media is streamed from your phone unless it's local media it just gets it from the source.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

5436 posted:

Anyway to get a cheap lifetime plex pass? The current price really doesn't make sense for 5 years.

The only way I know is go back in time when it was cheaper.