Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Blooster posted:

Is Plex server for Windows constantly crashing almost daily for anyone else?

I can’t watch more than 3 videos in a row before it crashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Shield is also Android TV, which Google have abandoned. Not regular Android, though you can sideload normal Android apps onto it. It’s just a coin flip whether they work with a remote.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty sure the Kindle Fire tablets sell like crazy?

I mean they're usually like £50 because all Amazon hardware is super cheap so they can get that Alexa data, have to imagine they sell a fair amount even if they only ever get used as a Kindle.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Google is, or rather has. I doubt Plex is going to stop working on it since it's still functionally Android.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Android TV as you know it today will be replaced by Google TV over the next two years.

It's partially a question of semantics but Android TV is being replaced by Google TV (very slowly, that article's from 2020), it's still built on Android and using Android TV as a base for apps but it's being pitched as a separate thing and a replacement to Android TV. Because Google has to keep launching new things, even if it's functionally identical to a thing they already have instead of just continuing to support and develop the existing thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sky already do this in the UK, you can get their branded TV with a subscription which then removes the need for their satellite dish. I have not heard anything about whether or not the TV still functions if you stop subscribing since its basically a receiver box with a screen and speakers. They do a subscription bundle that includes Netflix now as well.

Bonzo posted:

Apple+ has been running short ads for MLB games. Not sure of the pricing but its interesting to see how they run that.
This is just part of the regular subscription, Apple's been really good at not going into tier hell with their stuff so weekend MLB games are just another thing you get with TV+ now. Kinda the same as how Amazon just rolled sports stuff into Prime Video when they got that. Though tech journos (noticably knowledgeable about sports) think this is going to change if Apple ever gets the NFL rights they supposedly want.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They paid some agency probably 6 figures to make the logo lowercase.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

How old is old because saying it's an i5 doesn't really say much. The CPU is generally where the video decoding happens so I doubt the onboard graphics are the issue.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah according to TVDB there's like 140 episodes in season 1 of Animaniacs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does Plex max out at SBS style 3D movie rips, or can you use remux'd files with it too? It's been a while since I messed with 3D and my TV is one of the better ones for showing it off, and my girlfriend coo'd over Dredd 3D on the weekend so wanted to see what my options were.

I use my Plex server for a bunch of VR stuff including 3D movies and it seems to be able to handle everything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've ranted about this before but people doing audio for movies need to do what music producers have done for ages and test on the lowest device they can. Audio engineers test on Apple Earpods because that's what most people use, and movie editors should have a $300 TV to test their mix on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Unfortunately my Plex Server died* this weekend, so I'm looking to buy or build a new one and I'm a little out of my depth.

My old server, that worked perfectly for my purposes:

https://www.newegg.com/intel-boxnuc5i3ryh/p/N82E16856102093?item=N82E16856102093

Bought for $269 six and a half years ago. Does anyone have a link to a pre-built mini-PC system that's similar to this in price and performance? I'm looking at a lot of them, but most of the NUCs these days seem to be running Celeron processors, which I gather might not be great for Plex? And I've seen competing websites say that an AMD CPU would be good for Plex while others say to avoid it due to it's lack of Quick Sync. Honestly there's so many websites that advertise "how to build a Plex" server and many of them just seem to be thinly veiled excuses to post affiliate links to expensive components that it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I should mention that I don't really need any transcoding performance. 99% of my Plex use is local in my house, and everything streams as direct play. On the off chance that I AM streaming outside the house, it's usually Simpsons or Frasier episodes that are tiny anyway. So like - one 1080p stream is probably adequate, as far as CPU strength goes?

I've considered buying something like this from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1657324670...emis&media=COPY, but I'm hesitant to buy some refurbished garbage that's gonna break in 6 months and put me right back where I am now.

*I'll add here - I don't think it's really dead. Recently I had to unplug the machine and drive it a couple hours to my friend's house. Now when I plug the power cable back into the machine, the fan IMMEDIATELY (before even pressing the power button) goes to full blast and the machine will not turn on. This has happened to me twice before with this machine, and in both times the issue resolved itself in a couple days. But I'm tired of dealing with this issue every time I move the machine, so I'm looking for a new one unless someone is familiar with this issue and knows of a way to fix it.

Minisforum are the current mini PC kingpins, they're kinda limited for Intel stuff but they have some good AMD options like this 3550U system for $269 without RAM or storage, and $339 with those. That model you can also put a 2.5" drive inside, and the top just pops off so its really easy to put one in.
https://store.minisforum.com/products/um350

If you're running all your media off an external drive you could also get an Nvidia Shield Pro which works perfectly fine as a Plex server.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

For straight up local non transcoding, any old raspberry pi would even be fine, right?

Yes but in my experience mounting external drives to a raspberry pi for Plex purposes is like pulling teeth.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So my Plex server in the last few weeks has decided that it can't deliver anything other than SD video to anything that isn't the PC it's installed on. Remote access has apparently become inaccessible even though I haven't changed the settings since initially getting it set up. Is this something that a server update screwed up or what?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kri kri posted:

What does it say in the settings under remote access?

Just that it's not available outside my network, except it's like this even on other devices connected to the network too. Specifically my PS5, both it and my Plex PC are connected to the router by ethernet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Scroll down 'Limit remote stream bitrate' what's that set to? Maybe it's so low that only sd can fit the speed?

No, this was the first thing I checked when it started happening. Also it unfucked itself? It was suddenly perfectly fine on my tablet when I got home from work last night so I'm gonna chalk it up to just Plex being really weird sometimes.

teagone posted:

I use this to grab YT videos https://jely2002.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ and it's been great. Can work for other links/sites with videos as well, but YMMV.

I use that for a bunch of sites but it's really slow for Youtube specifically which gets annoying. I've just taken to using YT-DLP because while I hate using command line stuff the extent of it is just typing yt-dlp [youtube url] which is nice and simple, and it handles playlists well too.