Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does anyone here use Plex TV? I’ve been debating getting a homerun or whatever and trying it, but I’d like to hear some input. I don’t really care about DVRing most things but streaming it to my phone or PC would be pretty novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So does everyone just run their instances in containers now? I’ve had mine set up
in docker for a while with Watchtower for automatic updates. Couldn’t be happier with it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

odiv posted:

Finally flattening and reinstalling Linux server this weekend. Going to try Debian and Docker.

https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/

Hopefully things don't go sideways. We'll see!

Any benefits of using that one vs the one by the linuxserver.io guys?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Can anyone doing Plex TV speak to using a HD Homerun over WiFi? I’ve been mulling over getting one and hooking it up to Plex, but I think I’d need to put it in our attic to maximize reception. I don’t particularly want to run wires up there, but my router is close enough that the 5gz band should work through the ceiling.

Edit - I’m getting a bit of conflicting info on whether or not the Homerun has WiFi built in. If it doesn’t, has anyone used something like a RasPi as a repeater? I have a few extra lying around that could be put to use.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 5, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So hold on, do the HDHR boxes have WiFi or not? I grabbed this and it seems to be hardwire to LAN only. Is there a different model I should get instead?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Thanks for clearing that up. Their choice of wording could be a bit better.

Coming off of that, is the Plex Media Server going any repackaging of the HDHR stuff? I would assume so if you’re using it as a means to watch this content remotely. I also didn’t realize that cable content was an option. I assume you’d have to have a dedicated tuner with a cable card slot for that to work?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Good stuff. I assume streaming has been rolled out to pretty much everything by now. I’m eager to play around with this thing once it comes in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Weird, mine's been red forever but it still works anyway. I find not questioning it to be the best policy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I have and it works pretty well. I haven’t encountered any issues with it but ymmv.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just edit your docker file to point to the new mounts and bob's your uncle. Wakka wakka! :v:

What's the overunder on a decent dedicated plex server these days? My ancient laptop gets the job done, but chugs like crazy for 4k stuff. I'd also likely run a VM or two as well so I may have to get proper stupid.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I feel like I'm missing something really dumb and obvious here, but I can't figure it out. Currently I'm running my Plex server in Windows. I want to migrate it to a Docker container in linux. I was able to spin up a container with no issue, but when I login to the web interface with my Plex account it does not give me any option to add media to the Docker server. All I see is my Windows server that is also connected to the account.

Not sure I follow you. Are you able to hit the container's web page at [Local IP]:[Port]? Can you post your Docker file?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

Is paying for Plex worth it? $75 lifetime membership is on sale right now and I'm just not sure.

The mobile sync has been a godsend and worth it alone for me. Less so now that I’ve gotten unlimited mobile data, but well worth it. The TV DVR stuff is pretty near too but ymmv depending on what’s available and how much you care. No regrets from me.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Can you not set the service to run at startup? I do all my stuff in *nix, but I would assume the Windows server equivalent would have some headless “boot at start” business about it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So if I wanted to point handbrake at my movies folder and tell it to go ham, what would be the go to settings these days? h264 mp4s?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'm not sure. We have a pretty new Sony Android TV and most other playback would be done either on the Plex iOS app or in Chrome windows.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I use HEVC because of quality and file size, but this is going to depend on your sources (are these SD, FHD, UHD, etc.?) and your server's transcoding ability. FHD or lesser video should be easy to transcode for almost any decent modern CPU (basically anything that's not an Atom or low-end old AMD CPU) and you can use hardware encoding via QuickSync, NVENC, or whatever AMD's stuff is called.

It’s a late aughts laptop so a low range i5 iirc. That’s just for the actual streaming as I’ll be pointing my desktop PC at the NAS for the actual blanket conversion; it’ll still likely take for drat ever though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think I have this Handbrake stuff about worked out now. Is frame rate anything to be concerned with or can I safely just have it be the same as source and call it a day?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 18, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Upon further research it appears nothing I have supports H265 to begin with, so meh. I think the new Plex iOS player might, but I can't get a straight answer from my quick google, so off to H264 we go.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Does Plex still not play nice with symlinks? I've found a number of posts on the matter from a few years ago, so I'm not sure if the issue lies with Plex or me goobering something up with the softlink.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The external USB drive that holds my plex content is dying. I’ve got a replacement on the way to use until I get my NAS setup going. What’s the best approach to moving around a TB worth of stuff? I figure I can just run a tmux job of cp and call if a day but I’d be interested to hear if there were better methods.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. cp is the natural option but I may make a script or something to iterate through shows or something since the drive is flakey. Wouldn’t want to look at a blank CLI for a day and a half and end up missing stuff and not knowing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh good point. I’d only ever used if for remote syncing, but that should fit the bill nicely. I’ll have to make sure it doesn’t move over the lost&found folders though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are there any elegant solutions to auto pull in YouTube videos into Plex? I’m thinking I could rig something together with youtubeDL but I don’t see a reason to reinvent the wheel if I missed something. I fly pretty often and while YouTube premium does the trick I could likely get the same for free.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

That only works on premium, as far as I know.

Do you have a link? I’d be down to mess with that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Because I don’t know how to do any of that and I have no experience with Linux? I’m looking for a simple, kind of plug and play solution. Not trying to learn how to build a whole new system on an unknown OS.

Friend it’s dirt simple and you can just run it in a docker container and be good to go in the same amount of time for the same amount of trouble. Toss a watchtower container on there for auto updates and it more or less takes care of itself.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nocheez posted:

Par for the course for Linux users. "It's easy! All you have to do is load 15 customizations and then you can mount your portable hard drive!"

I’ll give you the portable hard drive thing, there is no excuse for it to be obtuse as it is. Thankfully these days most everything is pretty straightforward if you’re using Ubuntu or some other non crazy person distro. Y’all do y’all, use whatever you want.

Like run a Ubuntu instance on a Windows box via WSL. :black101:

E - Semi related, does Plex not have a distro available for folks not wanting to deal with *nix? I know that’s popular in the Raspberry Pi world, but I’ve never thought to check for more conventional use cases. I’d imagine it would be more trouble than it’s worth.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 18, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Plex is apparently planning to do that “search the media and we’ll find where it’s streaming and play it for you” like Roku does, but better.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Any of you folks know a method to batch handle metadata editing? I'm grabbing Youtube videos via youtube-dl and I'd love to get them tagged up so they are a bit more presentable than the output from ytdl. Most recommendations seem to be fooling around with mkv, but I'd be interested in hearing what else might be out there.

Edit - does the old Youtube Agent still work these days? That'd be the easiest way to do things.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 25, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Currently I’m just handling my watch later list which can be a bit eclectic so that’d result in a steady stream of upkeep as you’d be looking at a decent number of one offs. The YouTube agent is working well enough, but I’m vaguely irked that it isn’t reliably pulling in channel pictures.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Happened to me as well, change your source to Music in the settings.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s a consequence of a monolithic install I’m afraid. I’d advise you save your Jackett config into in a text file somewhere reliable and paste it in when you’re setting it back up. Probably set up a script to copy out your db and guide stuff as well. You could likely automate most of it, but that become a function of whether or not it’s worth the trouble vs just manually going it every so often.

I really recommend docker setups due to this sort of thing, but there’s a knowledge investment of a afternoon or two and the assumption that you’re down for a Linux system. Note you can totally do it on Windows but there’s an added layer of potential weirdness going that way.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah, if it has built in backup stuff go do that 100%. No need to go the container route if you’re using that PC for other stuff. Not sure about the user stuff but I’d assume at worst you’d just have to reshare the server or whatever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hahahahahahaha you goobers jinxed me. The drive I use for my docker configs just poo poo the bed. So no more sonarr settings for me. I really need to get a proper NAS setup.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If you’re feeling particularly lazy you can slap watchtower in there to do that automatically. You’ll want to set up a cron to prune old images occasionally though. https://github.com/containrrr/watchtower

Wouldn’t recommend that for anything approaching production, but it does the job well for stuff like Plex and other apps that get regular updates.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

redreader posted:

I bought a pixel 3 new off Amazon, apparently from some third party company "wireless experts Inc" in December 2019. I have two issues:

-even though USB c can't go in the wrong way, each connector side only works to charge my phone when plugged in, one of the two ways. If your turn the cable around, the other side has the same issue, it only works plugged in one way on each side of the cable.

-the camera has problems focusing and goes in and out of focus a lot. Like it jumps. Like a kid playing with a twist focus camera lens.

It's been well under a year, what do I do? Complain to Google or to the seller? And what can I expect?
Edit: VVV sorry!

Have you tried running your phone in a docker container?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nocheez posted:

I don't know that answer, I just upgrade every time there's a new version because that's what we're supposed to do right?

I do unattended automatic container upgrades because chaos/hail satan. Though unless there’s a feature or fix you need in a patch you can usually wait a bit in case something goes weird with a chance. Up to you though, just depends on how critical a service being available is and your willingness to poke around to resolve issues.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there anyway for Plex to work through NordVPN? Every time I have my server connected, none of my friends can see it and it's driving me nuts.

It worked fine for me for some time. What OS are you using and are you using their app or OpenVPN with their stuff plugged into it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hm. I was using the OpenVPN client on my Ubuntu box. It’s entirely possible I may have misconfigured it and just didn’t notice.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

There doesn’t appear to be a programmatic way to do much of anything with Plex unfortunately. I wish there was, but I can’t honestly blame them as we’re outlier use cases at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is anyone else here running their server in docker? If so, have you had any success implementing Nvida encoding? I'm just starting to putter with it and would love to have someone rubber duck the process.