Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ugh I need help Plex goons.

Everything was working peachy on windows 8.1, I just fresh installed 10

Now no matter what I do, I am getting stumped at

PlexAPI: No Response from Plex Media Server
PlexAPI: We failed to reach a server. Reason: Unauthorized

From my reading it seems to be a certificate issue, I've created the certs 2-3 times just to be sure, and tried both methods to install them on AtV (http://trailers.appletv.com/trailers.cer) and (ipforPMS/certificates.cer)

I can see everything happening on the server log, its communicating beautifully, but always stalls when trying to load the libraries with the above error

I've been at this for the past 3 hours trying everything I can think of with no dice, including disabling every firewall, antivirus, and putting the PMS on a DMZ.

[PlexConnect]
enable_plexgdm = False
ip_pms = 192.168.0.101
port_pms = 32400
enable_dnsserver = True
port_dnsserver = 53
ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8
prevent_atv_update = True
enable_plexconnect_autodetect = True
ip_plexconnect = 192.168.0.101
hosttointercept = trailers.apple.com
port_webserver = 80
enable_webserver_ssl = True
port_ssl = 443
certfile = ./assets/certificates/trailers.pem
allow_gzip_atv = False
allow_gzip_pmslocal = False
allow_gzip_pmsremote = True
loglevel = Normal
logpath = .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

teagone posted:

Does the web app work? Are you only getting issues using Plex Connect on your ATV?

Yep, everything else works

My android tablet connected no issues and started streaming immediately.

It's ONLY the AtV that is being a giant turd

I'm almost 99% sure it is the certificate, but can't for the life of me figure out why or how, I've done exactly the same things I always do to install it

I read something about removing old certificates before installing a new one, but the only thing I know is to remove the profile?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

teagone posted:

Does the web app work? Are you only getting issues using Plex Connect on your ATV?

So I fixed it... but it doesn't make sense to me

I was never able to connect remotely (only on the LAN)

I checked my routers port forwarding, and it must have hosed up with UpnP, because one of the port numbers was wrong for Plex

Changed everything to 32400, and it suddenly worked fine

The not making sense part is I had tried turning on the DMZ last night, that should have eliminated any 'wrong port' problems?

I'm happy it's working, but I'm worried now that my AtV is going alllll the way out into the WAN and then round about back to the PMS, which would quickly chew up my bandwith

Or is this a symptom of needing remote access for authentication? Which is what the problem was all along

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I was all excited when I saw Plex was finally released on ATV, so I undid all my plexconnect IP / DNS fuckery settings on ATV, updated it... and wondered where the Plex icon was?

Only then did I realize it was for the newest ATV, not ATV3 :(

Are there any plans for support on ATV3?

:Edit: According to the plex forums no, as they're completely different operating systems between ATV3 and ATV4

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 11, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

tonic posted:

ATV3 doesn't have an App Store, ATV4 does. And yes, the are totally different OSs.

Just sell your ATV3 on Amazon or Craigslist and buy a new one. I was able to recoup over 1/2 the cost. Worth it for legit Plex on ATV.

Might just have to do that

I'll look on the SA Mart first, that's where I got my ATV3

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cornjob posted:

The least expensive ATV4 is $150. The ATV3 sells for $65.

How were you able to sell a used ATV3 for over $75?

Are craigslist shoppers that stupid?

I've already noticed quite a few ATV3 for $100 on the usual places, used as well, people really are that dense

I'm pretty sure I bought mine from SA Mart for something like $70~

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sellouts posted:

Are you sure they are not jailbroken Apple TV 2s? Because it looks like they struggle to sell above 40 shipped on eBay.

This was over a year ago, so not sure how much the price has dropped

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Any suggestions for fixing buffering problems

To be more specific, almost 99% of the time when I play a movie or TV show from plex on my PC to my ATV, it will load instantly and play fine .... and then stop between 20-50% of the way through.

Every. Time

I've let it sit for ages and it never continues. It just shows the loading circle

If I back out all the way to the atv home screen and then continue where it left off , the video plays fine from there on in

There is no specific video , it's everything I play

I can stream Netflix no problems , its only plex content

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Are either your Plex server or your Plex client wireless?

Nope, the Plex server (my pc) and the ATV are connected via a 500Mbps Powerline Adaptor

Plex Server is on cable FTTH, 250/10

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

If I had to guess, funkiness going on with the powerline adapter. They are generally more reliable than wireless but can still run into problems. Can you ping from your Plex server to your AppleTV while streaming and see if you drop a bunch of packets at some point? Also, does it happen if you try to force a power bitrate on the stream? If you go into the "Status" on the Plex server web interface it will also generally tell you a little info about what is going on with individual streaming sessions, may shine some light on the problem. Can you temporarily run an ethernet cord instead of powerline just for troubleshooting?

PInging while streaming a show

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.100:
Packets: Sent = 234, Received = 234, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 90ms, Average = 7ms

It only jumped up to 50-90ms while loading (about 6 packets worth of data) and then dropped back down to a stable 3-4ms while playing

And no packet loss whatsoever

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Does plex have no way to add a USB stick as a sync'able device?

I usually load some movies and shows onto a stick, to watch in the car when I'm sitting for extended periods of time

Problem is some of the files are in the wrong format to play on the car's entertainment , so i wanted to sync them to my USB stick and have them all converted to the same format

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm still having the problem I posted about awhile ago , i don't have search features so it's easier to just ask for advice again

I run plex media server on my desktop and stream it to my Apple TV , the older gen atv where you have to do all that custom certificate trash etc to get it to show up

Pc is linked to the atv via power over Ethernet adaptor , running 500mbps

Anyways it all works great , the only I ever encounter and it is a consistent problem

when I play anything be it movie or tv show it loads fine and somewhere between 10-15 minutes into the stream it stops and goes into buffering

Never fails , everytime

These are direct streams with no transcoding , I've checked the plex log and nothing shows up to indicate any issues

The little buffering circle comes up and it just sits , I've left it for minutes and almost an hour or never budges2

If I back out completely to the atv main menu and restart the stream where I left off it resumes instantly and plays the rest of the stream to the end with no more problems

Like i said this happens with every single thing I play , and is repeatable every time , I could probably put a stop watch to it happening

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hmm true. It's annoying but not sure it's $150 annoying

Thanks

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I know what PoE is, which is why I said that I thought he meant powerline instead, because actual PoE didn't make sense in that context. First of all, it doesn't matter to us if he actually is powering a device over Ethernet, so there's no point in mentioning that detail even if it was true. Second, he's neither powering the PC nor the ATV via PoE, so that makes it even less likely that's what he meant. Third, he mentioned "running 500mbps" which is neither a Fast nor Gigabit Ethernet speed, and is more in line with what powerline networking offers.

It is indeed powerline ethernet , I must have had a brain fart and put power over ethernet by mistake

Either way the speed isn't an issue for what I'm doing, but I might change my setup shortly to eliminate the powerline adaptors all together, so maybe that will rectify it

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just fyi for anyone on the fence. I bought a new tv that supports the native plex app and it's great

Way better than using an older Apple tv with the hacked in app

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Moey posted:

What TV?

My old 2013 LG LN5400 is pretty sluggish with the Plex app, DLNA is nice a quick (but lame looking).

LG 49UJ6300

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wiggly posted:

Yeah, but then how do I convince my wife I need a new bigger TV???

It's simple, don't get married and have all that sweet disposable cash to yourself

You're a goon it shouldn't be THAT hard to get divorced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

How well does Plex handle extra features like behind the scenes stuff from DVDs and Blu-Rays? I've got a few DVDs that are out of print and not streaming anywhere, I've long since ripped the actual movies themselves but would like to have some of the bonus stuff from the ones that were deluxes. I remember years ago it was kind of challenging, you had to basically name it as a separate version of the movie...is it more dummy proof these days?

In my experience when I add something that has additional features, it shows up as a version.

From the main menu click the 3 dots bottom right corner, and Play Version...

Then it shows up there (although I haven't figured out the naming it just displays the bitrate and quality of the file

Example :

That's my copy of CaddyShack. 1080p is the movie proper, 720p is the inside story , and 480p is another behind the scenes

So if I ever watch it I just have to remember which version to play