Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

1997 posted:

Sometime in the future I want to set up an Amazon Fire TV with a NAS that I can install Plex server on. Does anyone have any experience with any disk less NAS I can do that with?

I don't have any relevant experience, but I was exploring this topic a little while ago, and found this: NAS Compatibility List. Hope this helps/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Just fyi, Tested did a feature on building a FreeNAS-based home server: http://www.tested.com/tech/500455-building-home-server-using-freenas/

Not a lot of details, but it could provide a good starting point.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Latest update to PMS for Synology doesn't download posters for TV episodes. How do I fix it?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I'm having a weird playback problem with some of my DVD and Blu-ray rips when I cast them to Chromecast Ultra or play in the web player. They look fine, but when I turn on the subtitles the picture becomes garbled:

Phone playback is not affected. Only some of the rips become garbled. I don't have a lot of experience either with Plex or media ripping, so I have no idea where to look. I have the latest Plex for Synology on the default settings, the rips are prepared with MakeMkv and Don Melton's video_transcode wrapper. The command line options are
code:
--preset veryslow --filter decomb --add-subtitle all --add-audio all --no-log
How can I fix my rips?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

ringu0 posted:

I'm having a weird playback problem with some of my DVD and Blu-ray rips when I cast them to Chromecast Ultra or play in the web player. They look fine, but when I turn on the subtitles the picture becomes garbled:

... I have the latest Plex for Synology on the default settings...

It was hardware acceleration

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Decairn posted:

Known issue - https://forums.plex.tv/t/hardware-transcoding-broken-when-burning-subtitles-apollolake-based-synology-nases/482428/101

Workaround - delete or rename an Intel driver. Alternative workaround - try out their experimental build. Details in that thread.

Thank you! Will try at home.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Get an external drive. I've ripped my entire collection with BDR-XD05S and MakeMKV on Windows. Here's a couple other recommendations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Speaking of Chromecasts, I still run Chromecast Ultra 2017. Mostly used for local Plex. Would I see any benefits from upgrading to the latest Google TV model?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Plex/Synology users: any problems when upgrading from DSM 6.2 to DSM 7.0? I have DS918+ if it's important.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

How do people organize cartoons like Invader Zim or Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, where TV DB splits out every segment into a separate episode?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

What, really? Unbelievable.

:gibs:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

cruft posted:

It just dawned on me that for the same price as our Netflix Basic plan, we can go back to their DVD/Blu-ray plan, and get Star Trek, Disney stuff, Netflix stuff, HBO stuff, Amazon stuff, and oddball stuff that got eaten up by dinky things like Peacock. That would cost over five times as much to stream.

Way to go, everybody, you ruined streaming.

never cancelled :smug:

their streaming, on the other hand... Here's hoping they don't axe their Blu-ray plans after a couple more seasons :v:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

What is the issue with Rifftrax releases not having title cards on tvdb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

For those affected, PlexAmp finally fixed Google Cast streaming they broke a couple weeks ago