Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Because of a lovely combination of apartment network and ISP I'm unable to open the correct ports/get a static IP for connecting to my Plex media server from the outside. So I can't get it to connect to the Plex servers, and have a double NAT loving it all up (as far as I can tell- I've already contacted my ISP but they've refused to open the ports on their side because they think Plex is :filez:).

Are there any workarounds for this, or is Cloud Sync/copying ahead of time the only options for streaming when I'm traveling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok, I'll give these a shot. Thank you!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm not the most networking-savvy so I'm not sure... my apartment is wired with ethernet, so I have my router plugged into that. My router is reporting an external IP of 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, but whatismyip.com is reporting my IP as 24.xxx.xxx.xxx. I have upnp enabled on the router (it's a Netgear WNDR3400v3 if that makes any difference), and I've also forwarded port 32400 for my Plex media server (a Mac Mini). The Plex support pages are saying this is a double nat situation.

I've tried port scanning the IP that whatismyip.com is returning with Network Utilities, but can't find any open ports. I tried setting forwarding for 32400 on the inside and 80 on the outside, and the media server said it was able to connect fine but then when I tried to connect back using plex.tv from my phone it wasn't letting me.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I've tried connecting the server directly to the wall but wasn't able to find an open port. I'll try that again this evening when I get home, and I guess just do a port scan again using Network Utility (unless there's a less brute-force option?). The router is just for wifi access for my iPhone/iPad/etc.

I've never heard of SoftEther before, Perplx- sounds very interesting, and I'll keep that in mind if removing my router from the chain doesn't work.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. Lesson learned: never tell support your true intentions.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Unfortunately there isn't really any "quick & easy" way to rip and title episodes. A lot of tv show DVDs have the episodes encoded in a different order than the broadcast order, and sometimes that even varies between DVD versions if it's an older show that has been published several times with collector editions or whatnot. Only way to really do it properly is biting the bullet and going title by title, by hand.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

If you set up an account with AllMusic you can add what you own, and it'll recommend similar stuff for you. Then you go out and buy the album (or mp3 or whatever media you choose) on your own, and add it to your Plex setup.

Alternatively, you don't have to tell them what you own and just read reviews of what's new/related. For most stuff on there (assuming it isn't super esoteric) you can listen to a preview, and there are links for where to buy the track/album.

You can also have them send you weekly emails that list new releases, so you can keep a finger on what's coming out.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I had Plex all set up on my Mac Mini and it was connecting for remote access just fine for many months until about a week ago when I decided to format and do a clean install of MacOS (hadn't done that in a long time and things were getting a bit slow around the edges). Before formatting and reinstalling everything I backed up my library, and after everything was re-installed I put my library back in place and everything seemed to be fine... except now I can't connect for remote access anymore. Nothing has changed on my router, my Mini still has the same static IP on the local network, and I haven't changed ISPs at all... the only change is that I'm running PMS as a non-admin user now (like a fool I was running everything as admin in the past). And regardless of whether I have firewall turned on or not, it still won't connect.

So what gives? Could it be that backing up the library from an admin account and then re-inserting my library into a non-admin account screwed something up? I've tried running it from an admin account without the backed up library at all, and it still won't connect for remote access. Local streaming works just fine to all my devices when at home, but remote access won't work no matter what I try.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

teagone posted:

Have you tried manually specifying a different port?

Yup, along with port forwarding at the router (didn't need it before), and disabling and re-enabling UPnP. It's definitely not a double-NAT situation, either.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

teagone posted:

Odd. Only thing to my knowledge that I can suggest is to specify a different port again, restart the router, restart the Mac mini, disable remote access, enable it again, and then wait like a couple minutes to see if the remote access icon turns green.

Still nothing... guess I'll leave it for tonight and see if there's any change in the morning.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

teagone posted:

As per the Plex support forums, double check to make sure the Plex port you're forwarding can be seen outside your network: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ Something funky could be going on in the router settings, or maybe even with your ISP.

Yeah I'm at a loss... that site says the port isn't accessible, but it also says the VPN ports I have open aren't accessible even though I'm able to connect just fine from outside my network.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Khablam posted:

You've tried it with the VPN disabled, I assume?
Also try it with the VPN uninstalled.

Yes, I've tried with VPN disabled, although not with uninstalled. I'm using MacOS Server.app for VPN and Time Machine services, but turning everything off doesn't seem to make a difference.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I tried Plex for Kodi briefly but found it was a pain in the rear end to have to start Kodi and then start the addon. So I've been using PlexKodiConnect instead. But if there is a way to set Kodi up to automatically start the official plugin when you load Kodi I'd probably go back for the reasons you've listed... is there any way to do that?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cheese Bridge Area posted:

There is a setting in the plex plugin to start automatically when you start kodi.

hell yeah, thanks!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

emocrat posted:

Not sure if there is a better place to ask, but it seems like the right people might congregate in this thread.

Like many of you (I assume) I use MakeMKV to add discs to my media collection. MakeMKV's website is gone, and appears to have been gone for a month or so, no telling if it ever shows back up. So, I am looking into alternatives. Does anyone have experience with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper? Other alternatives that you prefer? My use case is basically extracting just he core movie from a dvd or blu ray, I don't bother re-encoding or anything, so just something simple and reliable to use. Thanks.

r/makemkv over on that other place is still going strong, and has a sticky with the beta code through November.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

movax posted:

fake edit: perhaps the question is, what does the Shield (appearing to be the best non-x86 Windows PC playback system) do better than the ATV 4K?

Sideload apps and games (or install directly from the Google Play Store, if available) that you'll never find on the Apple App Store- Kodi and console emulators, in particular. Android TV isn't nearly as sandboxed and locked down as Apple tvOS.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Is there a way to do PIP on macOS? So I can read these dead gay forums while watching my dead gay films in the corner. I can't find any way to do it while viewing using the Plex web front-end through Safari without having it running in a separate window, which obviously isn't always-on-top. Is there some other macOS client that can do it while I'm reading y'alls shitposts?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

teagone posted:

Install Plex Media Player native app (see here: https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/#plex-app)
Switch to TV Full Screen view (click on the icon of the TV with the two arrows inside the screen)
Navigate to player settings (click on your profile icon on top right)
Under 'Main' tick the 'Always On Top' option
Switch back to Standard Player view (click the two arrows next to your profile icon)

Think that should do what you're looking for. Note when you put Plex Media Player into TV Full Screen, you have to navigate around with your keyboard.

Super, thanks. That definitely gives me an always-on-top window. A bit janky but I guess I can get used to it. I don't suppose there are any other players that can do this a bit more elegantly?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Question for those of you running a NAS for storage but Plex on a separate computer for the sake of remote-sharing transcode power- when watching from a local client that has plenty enough power to direct-play (Shield, for example), do you have the Shield connect through the separate Plex computer, or do you also run Plex on the NAS for local-play only?

Asking because I'd like to share out to family (which will probably require transcoding), but am wondering if I should expect a noticeable speed drop for my own viewing by having my Shield connect to the NAS through my transcode server (all points wired with cat 6) rather than just straight to the NAS.

And related, if using a Mac Mini as a transcode workhorse with files stored on a NAS, would NFS be preferable to SMB? Or vice-versa?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks! Single library it is.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Plex and Sonarr... is there any way to get the connect feature that notifies Plex when a download is completed to scan only the new item, and not the entire library? It's causing problems when an entire season has been upgraded because it's triggering a full scan after each and every episode completion.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Millstone posted:

Not sure what you're saying. I have Sonarr have the download agent drop the file in a plex library folder, it picks it up on the next scan and life is good

Yeah sure that works of course but Sonarr has the ability to tell Plex to add new stuff as soon as it has completed processing rather than waiting until the next scan. What I have noticed is that rather than just adding the new file, Sonarr's prompt is causing Plex to run a complete scan. I'm wondering if this is just the way Sonarr's connection to Plex works and it's "scan all or none", or if it is possible to have Sonarr tell Plex to only add the new episode without running a full scan.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I wish I could do that but my Mac doesn't sense changes in the media folder on my NAS mounted via SMB. That's why I was playing with the connect feature but maybe I'll just have to stick to scheduled scans instead.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

phosdex posted:

On the Plex server library settings, do you have "Scan my library automatically" and/or "Run a partial scan when changes are detected" on? If you're using Sonarr connect options, you want those plex settings disabled. I think that's the way its supposed to be at least.

I have both of those disabled and a full scan is still triggered. Oh well such is life.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

kri kri posted:

Won’t help now but get trakt set up

Just out of curiosity, how (or if, at all?) does the Trakt plugin handle the play counts/etc. for shared users? I'm guessing they would have to set up the API individually for their own accounts?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Violator posted:

I just launched the tvOS app and it had a fancy splash screen that introduced the new player and asked if I wanted to use it.

Same with iOS.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

I send a share invitation to their email and they make their own accounts.

Same. They will receive an email asking them to create an account at plex.tv or sign in if they already have one. It's really easy to do.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You can also invite them before they have set up an account. They will get an email telling them to sign up.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Just out of curiosity, do you guys use a separate account even for the TVs in your home? Or do you use your admin account for that?

No separate account for me although I'm sure that will change soon-ish what with the baby on the way and eventually needing to limit access to only G-rated content from the TV.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

You can get a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into your TV rather than the Shield- there are a gazillion of them on Amazon - that would probably do the trick.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

MagusDraco posted:

I remember it getting posted in one of the Plex/Kodi/HTPC topics but I don't remember which and can't find it.

What do you use to integreate Plex into Kodi/the good Kodi fork (not sure which that is) if you want to get subtitles to work on 4k HDR media on a shield TV. Using the .PGS subtitles on Plex makes it want to transcode the video and that breaks everything because there's no way a quad core haswell xeon is going to transcode a 4k video

MrMC has Plex built-in.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Smashing Link posted:

I wonder if part of the deal is that Plex sells all your user data to these companies to help them develop profiles of what you like.

If that's the case then why are there so few good movies coming out these days.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm planning to buy my parents a ~14" Chromebook, have never owned one, and they like streaming from my Plex server (limited to 720p due to bandwidth). That's about all they do other than light web and email (no gaming). Is there anything I should avoid/look for and/or preferred brands/models so that web or native Plex will work?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Bonzo posted:

They'll just be using the Chrome browser to view it, right? Should be fine

Most likely, but I understand some models can have Android apps installed? I'm guessing that would include the Plex app, but if viewing in Chrome is better regardless of app install support the added cost wouldn't be worth it?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Great, thank you!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I keep MrMC on my ATV for those rare times where Plex freaks out over whatever codec, or won't render subtitles properly. But Plex gets used 95% of the time if for no other reason that it's a lot simpler for my wife to navigate.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

As far as I can tell it pulls music info starting with MusicBrainz, then from AllMusic/etc if the MusicBrainz entry is linked out. If it can't find the album on MusicBrainz it reverts to local info rather than going straight to AllMusic/etc.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

odiv posted:

I thought multiple profiles was Plex Pass only. How do you share with your folks without them loving up your position in a series or your watched list?

Unless that was moved over to free Plex and I missed it?

You set them up with their own free Plex.tv login, and then share your library with them. No Plex Pass required.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I gave up on TP-Link AV1000s in my brand-new house with brand-new wiring because despite the two rooms being only about 15ft apart, the bandwidth dwindled down to about 3Kb/s after about two weeks. For the first couple days it was sort-of fast-enough (i.e., 30mb/s, but certainly not gigabit speeds), but by the end of it I couldn't do jack poo poo and so dropping the cash to drop a line in was the only option.

edit: That said, if you do powerline make sure you've got a return option, because it might or might not work to your needs and it's hard to tell without trying. I was lucky that I was still in the return window when the speed went to poo poo.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Change your password.

efb- what deong said.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 23, 2020