Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Newbie question: I'm streaming Plex onto my TV through a hardwired PS4 in the web browser. Would getting a chrome cast or roku stick stream higher bitrate HD to my TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

bagina posted:

I use both and don't really notice a discernible difference between either.

Do you use both PS4 and Chromecast? Accessing plex through the PS4 browser is slightly annoying but isn't terrible. However, I was wondering how much better it is with a chromecast despite the fact I lose my ability to plug in headphones unless you can plug them into the phone/tablet you are casting from to get audio.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, no DNLA on PS4 yet. I just picked up a Chromecast cause they are cheap and once PS4 gets DNLA I can use the Chromecast on my 2nd TV in the basement. So far it works great with Plex and Crunchyroll but the perplexing thing is I can't get it to play YouTube videos in HD using the official app. I guess that's a question for the Chromecast thread.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

chemosh6969 posted:

So where is it?

I'm using the iOS app and I found it. I'm sure it's the same as the andriod. It's the top right button that looks like a sideways ellipses. Click that and there will be a cog icon that says "Quality." I set it to 720p on one video and now the rest seem to be set as 720p default.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the cheapest way to get Plex on a SD TV? Is there a Wii home-brew client? or any RCA cable DNLA devices?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Heners_UK posted:

Possibly Rasplex on a Raspberry Pi, and using the RCA out cable and 3.5mm audio cable?

Awesome. Always wanted an excuse for a PI.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have one of those really nice Toshiba's from the early 00s that has a perfect spot in the living room. It looks and sounds so great that there was no reason to replace it. I have two other HDTVs that are great with chrome cast and a PS3 but I always wanted that Toshiba to play Plex when my nephews are over. That's all :)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there no way to loop a video? I have a 20min fireplace video I want looped on the living room TV but I can't figure it out. I have no idea why you can't make a playlist of the same video. It only lets you add it once.

Housh fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 20, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Everything was working fine for months and now remote access stopped working (buffers forever) and Christmas is ruined.

edit: it looks like it's giving me the buffer issue when things are played on the local network too.

Housh fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 22, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

There is 18 gb free on the drive pms is installed on and 3 TB free on the drive the media being served is on. How can I check or set where plex is making the transcode temp files even though I think it should have enough space.

I tried about everything. Everything plays fine locally. I tried using an ethernet connection and wireless. All ports forwarded. Static IP. Speed tested everything. It's a fast connection and the computer is a brand new i7. Reinstalled PMS twice.

Could PlexPy have messed things up? Everything was working fine until I took it off the wired connection and used the wireless adapter. After that I noticed PlexPy stopped working properly and then remote connections started stuttering and re-buffering. PlexPy only seems to work properly when the server is wired into the router. I reverted everything back but it still can't serve remotely.

It does seem like it's not transcoding fast enough like the drive is filling up but I can't see 18gb not being enough to transcode a 720p video to 4mbps.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah it's a 250gb SSD for the OS. It's filling up and I need to swap it out with a 500gb evo come boxing day. Should I reinstall PMS on the western blue hdd with the media?

edit: anyone else using 1.3.3.3148-b38628e can confirm to get remote access to work? I have a feeling this is a bug.

Housh fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 22, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

teagone posted:

Also, taking your server off the wired connection and using a wireless adapter maybe assigned your PC a new IP? Guessing that might have happened and could fumbled things up a bit. Any reason why you switched?
I moved the PC downstairs to see if I could hook it to my ailing 27" iMac in target display mode using displayport. I've been using it hooked to a 1080p TV. Looks amazing on that 7 year old apple display compared to my TV upstairs.

Anyways, I thought the IP got messed as well but I got back to a static IP and the port is properly forwarded through my NAT. I kept thinking I must've messed things up moving the computer downstairs but I reverted everything back. I use the iMac to serve my music library through Plex and that seems to still work fine remotely.

I wonder if it's a transcoder bug in the latest release of PMS. I can't find a link to download 1.3.2 to give that a shot.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks for the storage tip. I managed to free up quite a bit of space on that drive now. Still having the issue with remote access. I posted on the plex pass forum with a log file.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Plex Pass support is amazing. After 4-5 hours it looks like my ISP is throttling my speed. The major speed test sites show my advertised upload speeds but running iperf from my host to iperf.he.net showed an initial burst at the advertised 10Mbps only to drop to 1Mbps for the remaining duration of the iperf run.

My ISP is denying it and blaming my cable modem. Saying my ARRIS model has had issues. I think it's a load of poo poo and I trust the Plex support. Either they are throttling everyone for the holidays cause it's cable modem or unlimited isn't actually unlimited and I hit some sort of invisible monthly cap.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It's theirs and I've had it since 2012 docsis 3 switch over. They want me to call back in the morning to try somethings and then send over a tech to change the modem if the issue isn't fixed.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

You have to use their modems so it's "free" with the service.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Canadian Telecom is pretty bad if you yanks think you are getting hosed. I have a choice between two companies.

I called in today as instructed last night since the "real" tech support is only open during office hours. They put me on hold and then I could hear them fooling around on speaker phone making oinking sounds. I told them I can hear them and they hung up.

Called back in and spoke to a manager. Two people may be losing their jobs for Christmas. They finally could see drops on my line and booked a service appointment Monday morning. I asked about the modem and they said it is free with the service and then you must return it. It's like a rental but we are forced to use their modems specially if you have VOiP. The cable line has a lock nut fusing it to the modem. I would need pliers to take it off. I asked for a new modem and they said on Monday the service technician can swap it out.

It sucks that this is happening for Christmas because my extended family was planning on watching all the classics off my plex server. I got the month free on my cable bill because of the horrible service but it still sucks.

Watch it be node congestion.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The cable company can't figure out what is wrong with my upload speeds. A tech just went home cause he couldn't figure it out. They are sending 3 engineers tomorrow morning. Did 2016 kill my neighbourhood's node?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thwomp posted:

Did you check your cable modem? I had an issue with my upload speeds and it turned out to be my modem going.

Edit: never mind. Saw your previous posts.

It's the drop to the house. Last winter when I was out of the country the city workers accidentally knocked it down. One of their goons did a shoddy job rewiring it and this winter it came apart and let moisture get in. From the amazing Plex Forums support: exposed cabling will allow the introduction of noise and the upstream is generally impacted far greater than the downstream. Hey I got a new cable modem and clean line out of this. They are coming this week to put in a fresh drop from the street.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I love PlexPy.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

They just released PlexAmp. It's a music player for Plex. This is great for me because I mainly use Plex these days for my music collection. Saves me leaving a tab open just to play my tunes.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want to reformat my Plex server over the holidays. I am currently using PlexPy for monitoring but is Tautulli any better?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

That’s great. I’m guessing it’s less of a pain to install than PlexPy. That’s one of the reasons I’ve been putting off reformatting.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

My entire music collection is on Plex. Do you think there will be any chance of it working with Apple HomePod?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a two part documentary I can't get to properly show up on Plex. It finds the metadata only if I put it in the movie library but it stacks both parts and doesn't let you play part two. Is there a way to force it to show up in the TV library and then manually fill in the metadata?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

You could name it Title.1x01.mkv and Title.1x02.mkv and just have it pick it up as a season of something and fill it in yourself.

This kinda worked. It was labeled Part 1 and Part 2. I just made it s01e01 etc and it picked it up under TV and even filled in the metadata.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's a quick and dirty expandable nas setup?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want a stand alone plug and play solution. Anyone have a QNAP TS-473? Or links to FreeNas builds?

It'll be plugged directly in to the router and I'd like to be able to support at least 2x 1080p concurrent streams. Thanks!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yes. It's been crashing since the latest update on Windows. There are a lot of people posting in the Plex support forum and the dev team is aware. There is a dev in the forum that will send you a private beta version, if you send him your log file. I'm just gonna wait for them to push out the stable fix.

Housh fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

:siren: For folks using Plex server on Windows and experiencing crashes: the fix has been pushed out to the beta channel. Switch your upgrades to beta and upgrade. The fix will also go live in the next public release whenever that is.