Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

derk posted:

So, I run Plex with the premium pass. I have 10 managed users, half of them are remote. I have 300/300 Fios package and I get complaints that it buffers a lot sometimes, not sure if it is something on my end or their's. my server is robust enough. Intel Xeon V2 1245 3.40 ghz,
16GB ECC RAM
hardware transcoding, most of the stuff is direct played, even remotely, but the transcoding barely spikes past 10% percent on the CPU with multiple streams.

I am using the G1100 router currently from Verizon with the server behind a gigabit switch, I used to use my Netgear R7000, but when I switched to the 300/300 plan, it didn't get that speed until I hooked the Verizon router back up. any ideas, suggestions?

There's a lot to look at here so strap in:

FIOS: If you are only using it for internet, not TV, etc. you can have Verizon customer support enable the ethernet port on your ONT and run that straight to the router/firewall of your choice, such as the R7000 you have. This will eliminate their gateway entirely (and also save you the rental fee when you return it) and give you the best performance your router/firewall of choice can provide. This site has an overview of the process: https://www.groundedreason.com/use-router-fios-internet/

If you do get FIOS TV service, you'll need to use their router/MOCA (Coax) connection. In that case, you should research if it is possible to enable bridge mode on that router so you can pass internet traffic directly to your own router/firewall. I'm not familiar enough with that model or FIOS so get Google-ing. A user forum dedicated to FIOS customers is probably your best bet because you will be far from the first person doing this.

Plex: Assuming your upstream connectivity is sorted out and you don't have any local network bottlenecks, then the problem is on the other end. As IOwnCaculus pointed out, "throttling" doesn't mean the Plex server itself is throttled, it means Plex is being throttled upstream - it is basically saying it could deliver data faster, but something (your network, the route between you and your users, or the users network/client itself) is slowing it down.

There could be a lot of reasons for this. For example my sister shares access to my server and had buffering issues and it came down to her using an old Roku 2 device, simple as that. It couldn't keep up. Replacing that with a newer Roku (which are still dirt cheap) fixed that particular problem. Could also be the end users network; lovely wireless, whatever. Just because web browsing, Netflix, etc. seems to "work" doesn't mean it's up to par streaming higher bitrate files from your Plex server.

I get that sometimes from users: "well, I can watch stuff on Netflix fine!" yeah, well I'm not Netflix, the company that has invested billions in streaming technology and infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I don't know how FIOS authentication works, but since they let you bypass their gateway entirely and run to the ONT it must be some form of user login - did you configure that on your R7000? If so, likely you just needed to re-authenticate with it after you upgraded your package.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
All I can say is from the sound of it I like how Verizon handles ONT handoffs a shitload more than how AT&T Gigapower does it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I'm in an area of Austin with Google and AT&T Gigapower, though I could only get the latter at my house. Prices are insanely good as a result but AT&T won't let you connect directly to their ONT; their lovely gateway is the authentication device.

The model I have offers passthrough (the other model they have doesn't) but the thing still maintains a NAT table and gets in the way. Bypassing it involved modding my pfsense kernel to filter the authentication packets, hook the AT&T garbage to a spare port on my firewall server, and leaving it on solely to respond to periodic auth requests. What I'm saying is, FIOS users have it good and if you aren't bypassing your gateway and using your own, better device to the ONT you are doing it wrong.

None of this has poo poo to do with Plex so I'll shut up about it.

In Plex news is there any new update on their DRM content support? I haven't waded through their forums in a while. I believe Emby is planning the same thing.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

wasnt there some mention a while (like a LONG while back) that Netflix and other dedicated streaming services use something special via their app, but plex and related are effectively using chome or similar web browsing interface, which is effectively limited in the amount of bandwidth its allowed to use on most smart TVs ?

Or am i horribly misrepresenting / remembering some topic ?

You're mis-remembering.Edit: Missed the Smart TV part. Yes, on some platforms (old WebOS, etc.) there's no native video player access for apps like Plex.

stevewm posted:

On the ChromeCast platform. When you cast something, the casting device sends the URL of a "receiver" application (written in HTML5/Javascript), that the ChromeCast downloads and runs.

That has nothing to do with how Plex streams to clients.

teagone posted:

Netflix content is specifically encoded and built for efficient streaming. Content you're typically serving up from Plex is not, basically.

This is it in a nutshell.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 21, 2019

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

There used to be a few plugins for XBMC (not sure if they made it to Kodi as they never had a ton of development) that did that. Would use various factors you could set up, like originating channel of show, genre etc. Was a neat idea, but only found myself actually using it once or twice.

PseudoTV Live is still very much a thing for Kodi https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=231

Not something any Plex client does or is planned to do that I know of, closest you'll get is that plus the Plex4Kodi addon.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah so when I was late night googling, Pseudo TV was what I started with (I think the other was TVTime) but the descriptions I saw made it look like Pseudo TV and PTV Live were two different things. I’ll have to see what it can do now as it was probably 7 years ago that I used it.

PTV Live is the result of typical abandonware drama where the first guy stops/slows development and then a new bunch takes over and improves it but calls it their own thing for *reasons*.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

There's no such thing.

Probably thinking of HDHR's own subscription service, which works with Plex, but has been plagued with problems. Also the upstream provider is currently being sued by, well, everyone https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/omniverse-lawsuit-dragon-box-streaming-crackdown-1203140742/

As I posted in the other thread. I wouldn't recommend it. I used to use it and even absent the current drama it had problems - quality was generally poor, channel selection small, and price high. Too bad because the concept was good.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Smashing Link posted:

Is there anything about the Shield that makes it better than a cheap intel box (I'm using a Dell Optiplex 755)? Perhaps it can transcode well due to the GPU?

Just about everything is better about it. Not to say it is utterly perfect but it is pretty close to that for most use cases.

Though lately I've come to appreciate Roku as well. If you don't care about Kodi or using the Shield as a Plex server the Roku Ultra is a drat nice client, and cheaper.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Nairbo posted:

Was that color mapping issue on the Shield TV client ever fixed? I'm getting an LG OLED TV in the next few weeks and wondering if I should bother installing the Plex client on Web OS or just stick with my Shield. It's my understanding that the Plex WebOS app is fine but doesn't directplay as much as the Shield but that the Netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime apps are better on Web OS itself but correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, the Shield now supports colorspace switching and they fixed some of the bugs with incorrect rec.709 on certain TVs (like the LG OLEDs). Just make sure you are fully up to date with the Shield OS and Plex client.

The only thing the WebOS apps will do over the Shield is Dolby Vision (the Shield doesn't support it) which you may or may not care about. Personally I think HDR10 and DV are virtually identical when it comes to streaming content from, for example, Netflix but YMMV.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Not sure what thread this would go in but does anyone here with an NVidia Shield know if the Bluetooth range can be helped by some sort of USB dongle? I just got my wife a very nice pair of Bluetooth headphones for mother's day, so she can watch the Shield while the baby is sleeping. The problem is the Bluetooth range on the Shield is apparently terrible. I can be standing 10 feet away and the audio starts cutting out and garbling like crazy. I know it's not the headphones as I tried a different pair of Bluetooth headphones and had the same issue. I know my home isn't receiving some crazy interference because I have a cheap Bluetooth speaker from Best Buy and I can have my phone 3 rooms away and it still works. My Shield is using ethernet and there are no other wifi devices near it, so it's not interference. Like I said, in the same room my phone can connect to a Bluetooth speaker without issue, with the phone being 3 rooms away.

I can't find much online about what brand of Bluetooth USB dongle, if any, will work in the NVidia Shield TV's USB port. I am using it for only the headphones, not any gaming controllers or anything.

he;lp

An external dongle isn't going to work for that. The proprietary ones that, for example, keyboards use (though those are mostly RF) would, but the Shield doesn't support external BT adapters for sound.

The 2015 Shield model remote has a headphone jack and worked ok, though I think I remember range problems with it as well. The game controller still has the jack and might work better. Though that won't help with your current setup.

It's just really touchy. You can't go by what other stuff does or doesn't work because there are too many variables at play. I get about 15 feet or so range out of my setup (using Sony WH1kxm3 headphones) and it works well, but I had to do some tweaking, scanning with a WiFi interference app, and changing wifi channels (my Shield is hardwired as well, doesn't matter, it's your wifi map in general that is usually the problem) before I got it to work. Prior to that it was touchy and disconnected a lot.

Basically, keep dicking around with it, check Reddit, etc., every setup is going to be different.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Thank you both! Does bluetooth, uh, use a channel? Meaning out of 1, 6, or 11 is one better regarding interfering less wit Bluetooth? Sorry if that's a dumb question, nothing is really coming up on Google

Bluetooth uses 2.4ghz and hops between channels at a very fast rate so there's no one "magic" channel to avoid. Usually it isn't a problem but the antenna in the new Shields is pretty poo poo, from all accounts, so something in the 2.4 range is probably stepping on it. Try moving different channels on your router and see what works better. An app that scans how crowded the channel space is can help as well.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Yep I almost popped a monocle when it worked. It was annoying me so bad and I guess I just got fed up and tried something random.

The Eye camera (and others, like some Logitech web cams) trick has been known for a while, but kudos anyway for bringing it to the thread. It is pretty cool.

It does not work with "Ok Google", or at least I've never been able to get it to do so, but that is fine with me as I find always-listening setups creepy.

Just program a voice button for your harmony/universal, works fine. Also will activate automatically when the search field comes up.

The 2017 model Shield game controller (not remote) also has a far-field mic, btw, and I believe that does work with Ok Google. You'll probably want to keep it plugged in somewhere around you though.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Glad you got that fixed - it was a weird one. Still is. Missing dependency? Hard to troubleshoot in a closed system like the Roku.

I don't know about you but I actually prefer the Plex Roku client over Android TV day to day.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Delzuma posted:

Does the TCL app properly support 4K files (hdr and all, without transcoding)? My main home theater is has always been a shield on my main 4K tv but we are moving into a new house and while I’ll probably be getting a tcl to fill the space in the living room I’m not sure if I’ll need to repurpose an appletv4k with infuse or grab another shield for it.

I have the P607 and watch 4k HDR via Plex all the time, direct play.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Time to start testing Emby again.

I personally feel the UNO UI has fixed a lot of problems I had with Plex. I can easily disable poo poo I don't want to see and I get a straightforward, consistent UI across devices that all my friends and family find easy to use. I'll take it. Hell, it's a semi-miracle it works as well as it does.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Tea Bone posted:

Ah thanks. Sorry yeah, I did mean 70mb. It looks like the TV's ethernet port is only 100mbs so I guess my options are either re-encoding as you suggested or getting a shield.

There are many, many factors you could check in your output chain that might be the problem but I would agree step 1 should be: Stop using the client on your "smart" TV and switch to one of the recommended streaming boxes. I've never seen a built in client do even half as good a job as a standalone streamer, never mind better.

That may well not be where the problem is but there are other benefits so start there.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

BurgerQuest posted:

For those scared of linux but want to build on a budget/old pc parts Unraid makes it super duper easy to get going.

1. Throw old pc hardware together.
2. Load a bunch of hdds in
3. Install and run unraid from a USB key
4. Use the webgui and app store to install the Plex docker
5. ???
6. Profit.

I'll never try and do this poo poo on a soho NAS with some poo poo for power atom cpu again.

Unraid, good as it is, is a terrible choice for the "just want something simple that works" crowd. You will be loving around with it forever. Which is fantastic for people who love to dick around with stuff, that is most of the fanbase, but I would never foist it on someone who barely understands the concept of a NAS, for example.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Tyro posted:

Quick question for the Nvidia Shield Pro users - is the power supply dual voltage? My Google Fu isn't helping.

Yes.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

SA Forums Poster posted:

I found a 50ft network cord in a box in my garage and plugged the Roku TV directly into my router, and the "stuck at 13%" problem went away. :-(

I guess I'm just going to have to run a cord to the TV whenever I want to watch a movie. Frustrating because Youtube at 4k doesn't have this problem. Oh well, you get what you pay for.

You never gave any details on your setup, like what kind of server you were running Plex on, your settings, wifi details, etc. The fact that you can play things from Youtube, etc. has very little to do with it and you shouldn't rule out connectivity issues because of it. For example there's obviously a problem with your Roku Plex client reaching your Plex server via your wifi but without further details it's impossible to say what.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

I just suddenly started having issues as well. Last night I watching SNL

That was Plex trying to do you a favor and now it's probably just stuck.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

madsushi posted:

Jellyfin (spin off from Emby) is open source, and doing "ok" so far.

Jellyfin is a science project run by devs angry at Emby for going closed source. If you have one of the one or two platforms they have half decent client support for maybe give it a whirl but don't expect magic.

Users who struggle with Plex Media Server, other than the uber-nerds who are also passionate about open source, probably aren't going to have a better experience with Jellyfin, but that's just my hot take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

That's hilarious. I know nothing about filmmaking but when I watched Cool As Ice not a while back I just kept saying "something about the way this movie looks is just incredible".

I flat out love that the dude went from Cool As Ice to doing Schindler's List and winning the Academy Award for cinematography less than two years later.

And then winning another one 4 years after that for Saving Private Ryan.