Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I also asked this in the HTPC thread, but maybe this would be a more appropriate place.

What's the least expensive hardware I could buy to run a Plex server? I'll mostly be streaming to an Amazon FireTV, if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm trying to configure my setup so that I can access my videos over the internet. My setup is WAN --> Cable Modem (192.168.0.1) --> TP-Link Router (192.168.1.1) --> Plex Server (192.168.1.105).

UPNP isn't cutting it. I've tried manually port forwarding 32400 to the appropriate IPs... but I'm doing something wrong and I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong. Any tips?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

sellouts posted:

You sure you aren't running into a double NAT? The cable modem has no routing ability or is set to bridge mode?

upnp should work. After that I'd dig into your router and check all upnp settings?
The cable modem is not set to bridge mode. I have UPNP enabled on both the router and the modem, but Plex is reporting that it isn't available via the internet. So, I tried manually port forwarding, and that doesn't work either. Or I'm setting it up wrong.

Edit: So, the a solution should be to set my modem to Bridge Mode?

Edit 2: Setting my modem to bridge mode and my router to uPNP still doesn't fix the problem. Hmmm.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 6, 2015

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal

Roundboy posted:

On your Plex server setup, manually set the server to use the default port. Then the server will actually listen on that port.

This burned me for a few versions
Already done. No difference so far.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
A while back I set up my Synology NAS as a Plex server, but gave up getting it to work with remote clients because my NAS is connected to the internet via a VPN and Plex doesn't seem to like that.

Is there a way to get Plex working on my NAS, through a VPN, to remote clients? Am I missing something simple? This was a couple of years ago since I last tried it.

Edit: Or possibly force Plex to ignore the VPN and use the naked internet connection?

Edit2: I use NordVPN, which apparently doesn't support port forwarding?

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 12, 2020

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
Currently, I use a Shield TV to stream/transcode Plex to a couple of people. 99% of my media is 1080p, but in the future I expect my 4k content to increase. Therefore, I'm looking for a new solution for streaming and transcoding.

What I'd like to do is have some kind of NUC/Mini PC that has relatively low power draw. Currently I have like 2 1080p streams or transcodes going at a time. I expect this number to double or maybe triple in the next year as I share my library with a few more people. I'd probably be using Ubuntu. But I could use Windows 10.

Is there a solution for this that is low power and costs around $300? I've tried doing the research about this, but I'm way more behind on processor tech than I thought I was, and the processors that these little machines use have a lot of variability between them. Any help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
As far as 4k goes, it looks like it's possible to pre-transcode them and just have smaller versions of 4k content for people who don't want to stream the 4k media directly. And that seems like a fine idea, if it works.

Khablam posted:

Mini PCs will chew through 1080p with aplomb. Something like this for under $200 will handle almost 2 dozen streams using QuickSync.
This looks like it would work great, but I want a smaller form factor. Am I understanding that basically any CPU can handle lots of 1080p transcodes?