Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I see, I guess that makes sense. Does the GT730 really not support hardware transcoding in Plex though?

Based on some Reddit posts there appear to have been two different chips sold as the GT730, one of which can't do it at all, the other can but probably isn't going to do better in any metric than software transcoding on your CPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

derk posted:

This. I have services all running on the base OS, I updated everything recently and it broke my rtorrent+rutorrent, I rarely use torrents these days so it was not a big loss but I have been slowly looking into what messed it up and trying to fix it.

This was the kind of thing that bit me repeatedly back in the much earlier days of sonarr/radarr and the like.

At this point I also like it because it's an easy way to keep things off of the WAN, when running on a server that isn't behind any other firewall. Anything that doesn't actually need a port exposed to WAN just gets a 172.x.x.x IP that I can get to via Wireguard.

Also makes backing up configurations much easier since they're all pointed at subfolders in /opt, instead of having to sort out which sections of /etc I want to back up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The way to go isn't worrying about backing up your entire collection - doing that you're either paying an exorbitant amount of money for someone else's storage, or you're doubling your own storage costs to build a second copy. Just back up the photos and music and things you can't recover by other means. Then you're probably looking at an amount of storage that you can duplicate across the free or lowest paid tiers of Google/OneDrive/Dropbox/etc for a lot less than the cost of a 16TB drive that's just as vulnerable as your main array to a ransomware attack or a fire.

And while no, you can't strictly depend on any of the big cloud providers to offer you 100% reliability, that's why you don't just trust one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bonzo posted:

lol

https://old.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/1b0mgmo/account_deactivated_last_night/

100 of my closest friends and our own discord. All from my home network. Uh-huh.

Looks like at least one data point for getting the account back upon appeal.

I really do wonder what is flagging these reviews in the first place. I'm sure Plex won't say because that'd just make it too easy to stay within their new guardrails.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it's literally a single drive and it's already at/near full load supporting other random workloads, I could maybe see that becoming a bottleneck. Especially if it's something like unpacking usenet downloads that absolutely thrashes storage.

But if it's just serving Plex at that particular time, no, it shouldn't be anywhere near a bottleneck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tautulli will definitely do it. Libraries -> select the library you want to look at -> Media Info. There's a total plays column available and you can sort by it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Are you actually trying to stream across a 12Mbps upstream, though? That looks like you have Plex set with a "limit upload bandwidth" of 12Mbps, and I've seen plenty of files where Plex and/or Tautulli just completely whiff on the bitrate and assume it's terabits per second.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's really weird if you don't have an upstream limit set, since it's also the wrong value to be Plex Relay loving things up. But that's what I get from that bolded log message, Plex is deciding it has a 12Mbps limit to work in and won't exceed it, thus forcing a transcode.

MKV is just a container; nearly my entire collection is MKV and I haven't run into this particular problem. Occasionally there've been lovely rips that just don't play nice and getting a better copy seems to solve everyone's problems.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I guess what I’m asking is that I don’t know which user docker executes as, since there’s no user groups I see impacting docker in my Synology user/group settings.

You don't need to know because your ability to run a docker command without sudo in front of it is not determined by what user owns the docker process. It is determined by whether the user you are logged in as, has permission to run docker commands without sudo. IUG already gave you the answer here.

On most distros this would be a usermod command, but Synology is special according to this post I found.

While I'm a big proponent of docker without sudo, I do agree that this probably isn't the best way to handle whatever specific task you're actually trying to do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't trust a USB DAS like that; there's a huge difference in reliability between "drive enclosure made by a reputable brand that connects over external SAS" and "drive enclosure made as cheaply as possible that connects using a no-name USB chip".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

I am new to the concept of SAS cables

If I wanted an enclosure that used external SAS, could I get something like this for my HP Elitedesk 800 G1:

I'm currently running windows, but I also want to do Docker / Radarr Sonarr etc so I'll have to switch to a linux distro

That will work but it's brand new, slightly overkill, and definitely very expensive. That's the newest generation of external SAS controllers but unless you really have a burning need to do external NVMe, do this:

Qwijib0 posted:

If you want SAS, go with an LSI card, you can find 12G 9300-8e cards on ebay for a hundred bucks or so, and it's the most supported chipset.

Even sticking to US sellers it looks like these are down closer to $30-40 now.

You'll combine this with some form of external SAS enclosure - if you get a newer one that's also built for 12G SAS, you'll probably want an 8644-to-8644 cable to connect them. For older 6G SAS enclosures I would plan on an 8644-to-8088 cable. For home / non-SSD use I would expect zero difference in performance between 6G and 12G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

hell yeah. thank you.

if I were really lazy, do you think unraid off a usb stick supports drivers for the hardware?

Unless Unraid is doing something very fucky (I have zero experience with it directly), yes. LSI/Broadom SAS controllers have been The Standard in enterprise practically from the very beginning of SAS, and the drivers are extremely well supported in Linux.