Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really wish there was a plugin that created 5-7 "channels" of randomly playing content. Sometimes I want to watch a random episode and I don't want to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Has anything changed since the fire tv has come out?

My parents have a 6300 series samsung tv and the plex app occasionally has network errors or movies get out of sync when I am streaming a shared library from another location. This doesn't happen when I stream on my phone on the same wifi connection.

I'm thinking of getting them either a roku 3 or a fire tv. Any recommendation on what plex version is better between those two?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Fire TV has the better app, definitely. The Roku Plex app UI is pretty garbage in comparison (which isn't Plex's fault, it's all on Roku).

Wow, you're right. This thing rips. Thank you for the rec

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I sold my atv2 for over 200 and bought more ram and an amazon fire tv. Put plex on the FireTV and my system runs flawlessly. It's really fast too.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am eager to see how plex runs on the amazon fire tv stick. For 20 if it is even remotely serviceable as a way for me to easily log into my plex channels from the inlaws so we can all watch a movie or two it'll be worth it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

It's just as much about the quality of the remote download as it is the local server upload. I have symmetrical gigabit, more than enough bandwidth for the users I have at one time but I've had people on different providers in town and 100 miles away have issues with a simple 3mps 720p stream. Others that are 200-300 miles away but have a more reliable download have no issues using the unlimited option.

You are in the 0.1% of people with that kind of internet. Sure both matter, but when there is a problem 99% of the time it is the uploading end with the issues.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why would you not extract the movie from the rar?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

trilljester posted:

Quick confirmation: My Roku 3 and my Plex Media server are on the same LAN subnet. The Roku is not going out to the internet and back in to access my PMS, right?

Shouldn't be barring some weird vpn or proxy bullshit.

Traceroute the ip of your Roku from your plex server to verify

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just buy an Amazon fire stick and you'll be happier. The Samsung client in my 2 tv experience introduced buffering and crash problems that didn't exist with a 20 dollar Hdmi stick

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I love my Mac mini. I have a NAS and do a fair amount of transcoding. It's small, quiet, and fits in my tv stand. But I wouldn't buy new at full price...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It sounds like your shelf is not near the tv?

Why not get an older mac mini if you don't need the HDMI out?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have a similar setup. I found the drobo to be slow so I went overkill and picked up a huge synology NAS off of craigslist. I also got a used Mac mini that I will be dropping an ssd in to hopefully increase system speed while letting me get full download speed while I am doing other cpu intensive tasks. It's a pretty great setup but definitely overkill.

Little things about OS X are annoying like pop up notifications appearing occasionally and for whatever reason I can't get a few Python scripts to run at startup so it requires a little work but works well enough that my wife can use it reliably.

Definitely get wireless keyboard and mouse (like Logitech k400) and universal remote. I got the harmony smart hub which comes with a perfect small and simple remote along with letting you use your phone as a remote as well.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 23, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah sorry the hassle finding a case that holds 8 drives, dealing with additional parts, and worrying about hacking something together is the poo poo part. Synology is great out of the box and between the refurbed store and Craigslist you can often find a pretty good deal.

You seem to know enough to just roll your own. So do that. It's almost always "cheaper" in the end.

Has anyone heard of the Amazon fire plex apps being updated to use managed accounts? I'm tired of the half watched movies my parents start and fall asleep to being bumped to my on deck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EconOutlines posted:

I'm currently using PHT with a Logitech K400. It works well, but I'm looking for something more 'streamlined', like an actual remote. Anybody have a favorite method for controlling it?

Amazon Firestick and others work great for on the go, but I find PHT to be smoother, and has access to more features vs it.

Harmony smart control. The small remote works really well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

5436 posted:

Anyway to get a cheap lifetime plex pass? The current price really doesn't make sense for 5 years.

If the ps4 app is the only motivating factor here just get it for a year or go month to month. It'll be free to use eventually.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Plug a device in temporarily and see how it goes?

Try changing wireless channels, maybe someone around you changed a setting on theirs?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

just get a amazon fire stick or whatever. The Plex app is much better than what's on the samsung and you can leave the samsung off of the internet

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Medullah posted:

I got a Firetv stick when they were $20 and I'm not super pumped with it. For whatever reason the audio on anything i stream from plex lags behind the video, i never have that issue with my chromecast. To be fair, i haven't played with it much.

There's something wrong. Out of the box should be perfect. I have great wifi at home, works great. I have congested poo poo wifi at work and it usually works great to really well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's what his post means, yes.

I don't know what you're expecting though. It's a solid, powerful box to run android plex client on. It comes with a remote. If that's what you want, and I'm not sure what else there is for a plex setup, it's here.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I bought lifetime a while ago and it's been completely worth it.

I also don't mind spending money on something that I use every day.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

When I do I download a different subtitle file and it's fine

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What fixed it for me was getting a better router and making sure the streaming bitrates were set correctly for everyone else.

Also upgrading my upstream to 20mbit helped.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It is an idiot proof way. You just need to set it up for them one time.

I set my parents up last year and its running fine. I just had to make sure the steaming settings were appropriate for both their and my internet.

To me, the search is over now that I can buy a fire tv stick, sync to my Amazon account, download, install and configure plex, and put it in the mail for them to plug and play for under 50 dollars. If other hardware doesn't work it's not worth the value of time spent troubleshooting in my opinion.

Just my experience, I'm sure others have had issues with the above setup.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I want to get rid of the Apple tv all together but the wife uses it for airplay for music. Is there anything like airplay for the Xbox one (even just for music, we don't care about video)?

I AirPlay to plex home theatre running off of my mac mini. It's how I connect my iPad using pacemaker dj to my tv's sound system. No idea if Xbox version will let you do this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Plex client for OS X is an airplay target.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like the PHT app on my Mac mini, but that is also transcoding for all of my other local and remote tvs

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Plex improved greatly when I got my own modem and a decent router.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

She is far less pissed off at poo poo not working correctly tbh.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can you put it into bridge mode and run your own nat/router?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can you mobile sync to iOS yet?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am very well aware of that with Plex, I meant Emby.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SlayVus posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on a Plex hosting service? My home connection bandwidth isn't good for upload at all. I share my Plex stuff with one other person right now, but even on 2Mbps he still had some buffering issues. My cable connection is a 50/5 Mbps.

Not following this.

A place to upload your files for another person to stream? You realize this is not kosher, right?

Even then paying for gb of storage and then processing power to transcode isn't cheap. Pay to upgrade your internet if you can.

Also 5mbit up is usually enough to limp by on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's the point. I think most people don't ask about a third party hosting service for their files.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SlayVus posted:

The plex server is my desktop. i7 4790k, 8gb ram, media on a 3TB 5400 drive. I don't know what the hub bub is about sharing plex with my friend. Since plex server had the option of inviting people to have access to your servery if you have a pass.

What you're doing is normal.

Asking about a plex hosting service which is basically asking a company to host likely illegal files for you to stream to a third party isn't. It's extremely resource intensive for what you're doing and would be pretty expensive. That is the point.

But look into https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/US#436644 or http://soyoustart.com or http://seedboxes.cc if you want.

You're looking at around 50 euros/month more than likely.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Leave comic bloat poo poo out of plex imo

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't imagine many hosting boxes having the space or horsepower to do what you want. That being said my post on this or the previous page outlines 3 companies that may offer what you want.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Plex app does not require plex pass on Xbox 360 any longer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Now I've got to get my wife used to this new interface. Ugh.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are you sure they are not jailbroken Apple TV 2s? Because it looks like they struggle to sell above 40 shipped on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're really lazy a Mac Mini refurbed is $415 on the Apple store. I transcode occasionally but it's still overkill.

But hey, plug and play, it's small and it's silent. I plug the HDMI into the TV directly and use Home Theatre for that TV.