Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Arzakon posted:

I was thinking something with 2-3 HDD bays for 2TB disks. After looking around at things like mini HP servers its probably just going to be better for me to build something so I have the option of throwing a video card in if I want to use it for games.

If you're not really lazy anymore this is a cool solution. Make sure that the case fits in your entertainment center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think you're going to need more than 64gb hard drive space, but that's just me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah but he's using sabnzbd. Is he going to download to those disks, then extract to those disks, then move folders within those disks? What about concurrent downloads, failed downloads, etc.

It's silly. Download to the SSD, repair/extract to the SSD, then move to your NAS array. Get some more space.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey cool the app makes me select a user now when it starts up, but when I am not connected to the Internet it won't pull the list of users to select from.

Glad I synced all of that offline content that I now can't watch!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are you sure that is going to solve the problem? How much upload speed do you have / how much down do they?

When I remote stream off of my Mac mini it takes less than 10 seconds to start and doesn't buffer beyond that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You sure you aren't running into a double NAT? The cable modem has no routing ability or is set to bridge mode?

upnp should work. After that I'd dig into your router and check all upnp settings?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have no issues with using fire tv on wifi and over remote connection then over wifi.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It really depends on the set and environment.
Last years top end Samsungs have 802.11 ac which is plenty fast for plex. More and more are getting it.

I find not having a quality wireless ap to be a bigger culprit, honestly.

calandryll posted:

Anyone running the Plex App on their Samsung TV? I installed it on my new TV and it is constantly buffering. I jump over to my Roku and the same files has no problems. Not sure if it's the app or the way the TV is handling Wifi.

Yes I run this when I visit my family. It uses a remote library. I turned down the bitrate/quality very low, got it stable, then bumped it up until I saw problems.

When I upgraded their wrt54g to a better router I was able to further increase bitrate.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 30, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Agreed but taking a long rear end Ethernet cable across the house or through floors may not be possible and certainty isn't easier than starting with ratcheting down quality or changing direct play settings via remote to see if you can get it working

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

Being technically compliant chipsetwise with the spec != having decent multi-directional antenna coverage or being well shielded from internal interference, or indeed from having a quality chip at all.
I'm not saying it's not possible, but it was a widespread complaint last time I did any looking (~14months or so ago) that inbuilt wifi sucked rear end if you were trying to exceed a few Mbits at any distance at all.

Again, there are so many variables like the ones you point out. I get it, I have a ps4, I know that even in tyool 2015 devices with wifi can use poo poo chips.

My anecdotal evidence using 4 family member Samsungs was that the wifi was good enough for streaming what I would call medium and better quality via plex once I adjusted software settings. One situation where quality was on the lower end magically improved when they got a non-lovely router and better wifi coverage.

Wired is better, sure, but it's pretty easy to spend 0 dollars and 10 minutes of time futzing with quality to see if you can get it working first. Power line is a good next step if the problem persists. I'm just annoyed as hell when poo poo doesn't work so if I can get a fix that works even while I wait for new stuff to be ordered, I'm going to try it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is the double nat on your end? It seems strange that they'd have that configured that way by default. I understand a bit more not enabling upnp I guess but it seems weird that everyone would be in a double nat

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

log into your router and look up the IP address of its WAN port. If you see an address in the 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x range (both of which are private) it means that the device your router's WAN port connects to is doing NAT. So your router is as doubling that up.

What happens if you take a device and plug it directly into the apartment Ethernet? Will it work, and do you have the router just to give you wifi?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is it the ISP or is it the apartment blocking ports?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can't you just restore from your system backup if you put in a new hard drive?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

Honestly, when most people mention their plans to be a mini media mogul and dole out media to family, I wonder why they bother with the hassle. In your case you would probably be better off with bittorrent sync.

The server is meant for remote sharing I don't know why anyone would avoid it if they have the bandwidth and can do the initial setup which takes 5 minutes.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I really wish Plex didn't suck with music videos.

Why download them? I've used watch later for stuff I wanted to watch or the YouTube plugin or a YouTube app on another connected device.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

But plex is absolutely the easiest way (best way) to get content to others? The system you describe requires hardware to host the files, management of the files, and the risks that torrents have from content providers. I'm not dealing with that poo poo for them remotely from 2100 miles away. I spend less time organizing the library and that covers everyone who uses it.

My parents can't remember their passwords yet have had 0 problems with a remote setup. The hard drives never die, they never run out of space, things are consistently organized and the Amazon Fire tv environment is safe, cheap, fast and easy enough that they aren't plagued with updates or other annoyances that a fuller system that runs torrents would have.

You may have to spend a bit of money to do it right, my system is definitely overkill, but the remote streaming has been the one thing I've done to try to introduce my parents to technology that they use because it never has problems and is simple enough that they can operate on its own. Don't exceed or underestimate the requirements for a server but if you've got the setup with hardware and a lack of bandwidth cap there's absolutely no reason why this isn't the best way to share media with a modestly sized group of people.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

I have worked in IT.

There it is!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

- Install plex on their PC and TV / iPads
- Have it look at eg c:\movies and c:\tv
- set those as BTsync directories
- stick poo poo in your own folders to sync across
- it appears for your family on their devices as per any other solution
- if you have other family elsewhere you can repeat the above and 3-4 way syncs only get faster
- none of it needs any maintenance

So now I'm:

* Using 2x as much hard drive space to host copies in 2 places, resulting in more chance for failure of drives vs reading off of my NAS with drives that have longer warranties, a battery backup, and 2 drive fault tolerance.
* sending full copies of content vs lower quality compressed copies on demand. Or I'm wasting my hard drive space compressing this on my end
* requiring the computer that is wired to the network be the one that hosts content, otherwise i'm likely saturating their non-AC wifi if something is syncing without warning and they're trying to stream something else.
* sucking up their poo poo download speeds at unknown times to sync folders resulting in complaints that "the internet is slow"
* sucking up their poo poo upload speeds by running BT to other locations, resulting in complaints that "the internet is slow"
* managing what they want vs letting them choose from my library which is expanded to things they don't know about or wouldn't otherwise ask for
* dealing with operating system updates that may or may not break things
* deal with their complaints that the computer always has to be on to watch TV vs using my computer as the server which is always on doing things aside from hosting Plex

vs:

Install plex on PC and TV / iPads once
Link it to my library once
Let them treat it like a DVR that has a bit of a delay to start forever
Be blissfully unaware of any updates that are required because they go so smoothly I don't know/care if it's updating or not

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also: install/enable VPN server on their end and sign up DDNS or similar so you can always connect remotely to fix anything that has gone awry at least.

We just use join.me or whatever I installed. I forget. The great thing is I rarely have to do it because I put simple systems in place that are limited in scope and less likely to fail.

But yeah the btsync is cool if you've got extra hard drives for your parents to store stuff on, don't mind them failing and being replaced every 14 months because they are capable of having a backup plan in place for those drives and they can't handle a 5mbps stream served from your remote server and need to trickle download overnight or something. Or if they can't handle the quality which for my family is better than what they got off of the hgtv xbmc plugin before we moved to plex.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 25, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Running a server remotely sounds terrible vs running my server locally and letting their basic, unflappable cheap access devices access it with software specifically made to do so

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hahahahhaha borderline ageism

I want this to continue forever

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't think you want a borderline ageist who simplifies solutions for others by giving them Fire tvs and sharing via Plex

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Steve Jobs was a dipshit borderline ageist though, many people forget that.

I spend more time answering questions from my friends who are days older than I about why their plex stuff doesn't work or won't match titles or whatever than my dumb rear end geriatric invalid parents who stream off of my setup.

Also in reality they're much better than I at golf, making lasagna, fixing a sprinkler system, buying property, taxes and a million other things intelligence could be based on. Also they like not over complicating things.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have an 1815+ and I leave transcoding to my server that's up anyways.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I am thinking: Current generation Intel NUC w/ Sata port for existing SSD I own. Hook it up to TV over HDMI, hook it to home network via wired ethernet. Run Windows? 7/8/10? on the NUC with some kind of plex client app. Run Plex server on my synology. The NUC should have the processing power to natively play anything I throw at it. Does this sound correct/sane?

What I need filled in: Is there a "better" OS to run? Under duress I could be convinced of some variant of Linux to save the license fee for Windows. Is that a thing? What do the cool kids do for a wireless navigation device? Some kind of keyboard/trackpad thing? Is there a way to make it use a universal remote, something roku styled? Are there better options?

Thanks.

Why run the server on the 1815+? So when you do move plex to a second bedroom that requires transcoding or a remote stream when you're visiting inlaws you then have to deal with problems? Take advantage of the 1815+ for the bays it has. Use the NUC to run the server and the client. Get a cheap Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse for when there are problems, use remote desktop to manage it most of the time, and spend the money on a Harmony smart hub to get the entire setup working with one remote.

I use OS X to run mine via a refurbed mac mini. I found it to be plenty fast, low power to keep on 24/7 which I want anyways as it's connected to the TV, OS X is rock solid (although I do love Win10 now as well) and look good in my tv stand. The smart hub, when on sale, was the best purchase and made the thing entirely easy to control.

Expect to deal with remote sharing (which is usually flawless) when family members cover over and see it working perfectly.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 10, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pay your dad the 5 pounds for freeloading his service?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone used the roku tv to use plex? I have to get my parents a small TV for the bedroom and am wondering if that's a better experience with a single remote vs a cheaper TV + Amazon Fire TV box and the 2 remotes that come with it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I haven't been happy with any of the plex versions built into tv app stores.

Do you have any other device that can run the plex app? I realize it sounds like a server problem but I'd check the player first if you can.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have an 1815+ and despite it having an atom processor I still leave transcoding to the htpc

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Windows 10 all day every day

Plex should install everything it needs. Assume the forums are asking about weird formats on underpowered servers with cheap players connected via terrible wifi.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

God forbid a developer get money for a piece of software that a family is using.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Apple is opening up Siri to developers in iOS 10.

"Plex, play a random episode of 30 rock"

I can't wait.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why not use an NVidia Shield as mentioned a few posts up?

https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/plex-media-server

A cheap ubuntu box could be done separately?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And you'd better have 2 of the 3 connections (NAS, Macbook Pro, Apple TV) connected via ethernet or else you'll likely run into wifi problems.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Whenever I have to troubleshoot my friends plex setup it almost always comes down to a lovely wifi router and/or too many wireless clients.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As the total number of drives increase you should increase the number of redundancy disks available as the likelihood of failure during rebuild increases.

It's not 1:1 but it's also not recommended to be N+1 or N+2 if you have a huge pool

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

Given that many TV shows / films are going to be :filez: - I can't envision a scenario where you have access to internet able to stream a HD Plex stream but can't use one of the newer torrent streamers.
Collecting that much media is definitely a hobby unto itself as it can't serve a practical purpose. Not to mention copyright infringements get you blasted for the number of titles you make available; the guy is opening himself up to a lot of risk.

My PLEX storage is a single (shared with other things) 2Tb drive because I can't envision a scenario where I would want to keep around masses of unwatched media, that I couldn't just acquire as and when. Even caching a few seasons of several shows for family to catch up on doesn't lend itself to much used space.
The only media that takes up a lot of room comes from borrowing a DVD box-set or something and dumping the VODs without transcodes. Even then I wonder why I bother when I could :filez: a HD version, when I clearly wasn't going to pay either way.

It'll only take a couple of people with access to be flicking through PLEX and it'll keep them spun up a lot of the time. PC builders allocate about 25W per HDD and anything else there will have overheads, so he probably has 2Kwh running at all times, for about ~$550 a year.

Not crazy money, but that is the equivalent cost of 4.5 netflix subscriptions per year on the two-screen package. Or about the same price as all the common paid streaming services combined. I don't know why you would bother.

Because you own a bunch of movies and tv shows since the start of that media and you like watching stuff without having to have it easily accessible?

I mean you're basically saying why buy physical media. This is a way for people that do to be able to easily store and access it. Being able to watch a movie at a friend or family's house without having to think to take it beforehand is pretty great. Being able to thoughtlessly compress and load onto my mobile device either before or in the middle of a trip? Great. Offline access when in areas with no wifi? Brilliant.

I understand it's mostly just a way for people to steal poo poo but a cheaper option to a kaleidoscope system has its place for some.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is the router 802.11ac?

Wire as many things as possible. The less wireless, the better.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

snuff posted:

Alright I bought a Shield to try out PMS. I'm coming from a LibreElec Kodi box with a lot of media. How do I make plex scrape my media correctly? All my TV Shows are lacking episodes or seasons. No such problem with Kodi.

I hope you got the 500gb version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, totally just works for me 99% of the time, seems really weird. Is it a Shield issue? Have you checked their forums?

Can you post the filename of the episodes around the ones that are matched?