Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lmao you’re still mad but at least at the end you actually stumble into a valid point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is everything wired?

For the longest time I had a slightly slower processor and it was completely fine for a stream out of house and everything internal that was also wired.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I sometimes have to unplug and replug the HD Homerun

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Spend the money on a used Mac mini.

The footprint rules, looks fine around other AV equipment, no power brick, power draw is reasonable, native Plex install, minimal loving around when MacOS releases major version updates, Remote Desktop so if you do have to get into it you’re able to avoid command line if you want it, plenty of power to extract files and transcode antenna streams, gigabit Ethernet to connect to a NAS, usb3 if you have local storage.

I’ve had it for over 10 years at this point ad I know my original Mac mini would still do the job even though I’ve upgraded twice during the span because I have other things running on it.

Even that cost given how much I use it borders on worth it to me.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 14, 2022

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My Mac mini runs as a server and has been solid for 10 years except a hardware upgrade. I don’t want anything that expects keyboard input to be used to watch media. Only serve it.

My tvs are connected to whatever Apple TV I have, depends on the tv and location. Works great and with HomeKit I get doorbell notifications with a lil live video when it rings.

It runs other poo poo but, again, 10 years with no downtime other that a move and hardware upgrade. And honestly if it was just a Plex server I probably wouldn’t have needed to upgrade. Couldn’t be more simple.

The variety of hardware supported is great. This is a premium solution but if you can find an old one and maybe need a bit more I think it’s worth a consideration.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Do any of you serving Plex from a Mac Mini do it via Linux rather than MacOS?

I've been thinking about whether it would be worth moving my i7 Intel Mac Mini to Linux for the sake of future-proofing for when Apple gives up on supporting the Intel Mini. The primary use for the Mini is PMS, so I'm trying to figure out whether it would run and transcode as flawlessly on Linux as it does on MacOS. Plus, being able to run PMS as a service without requiring login sure is nice, and as far as I can tell impossible on MacOS.

Nah. Runs fine and transcodes fine for me. I set everything to start at login including mounting my NAS and it’s good.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

I would also say that if you like tinkering with tech, now's a good time to look into setting up PiHole on your network. Not that it's a perfect solution, I know there have been times where I think both Google and Amazon have, in the past, made it so that their devices won't work at all if they can't reach their ad-serving CDNs.

I agree w/ this. I love PiHole.

But I am close to putting my appletv on an exception because every cable station app needs the ad serving network or it won’t load live video.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How is it connected to the network and how is the client connected to the network

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What’s the alternative client like Infuse? I bet that solves it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The TV should be as smart and powerful as possible.

And you should use none of those features and use a dedicated device for whatever you’re trying to do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Even a commercial display isn’t going to compete with any of the OLEDs. Commercial displays do not care enough about quality at this point.

The issue isn’t smart TVs. A cheap standalone client for whatever ecosystem you like is going to be the way forward and they’re all only getting cheaper.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That sucks. Did you ever connect it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just sign the tv into a temporary network. agree to terms, update it or whatever and then never connect it to a network again.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Trash guides and yeah, I saw this yesterday and felt the same way lmao. What is wrong with people??

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think something has happened to my Apple TV. I’m getting frame rate issues in even non 4k media. Everything is wired, server freshly restarted.

Is the Shield Pro still the gold standard for playback? If I’m moving away from ATV I’d like 4k, hdr, all of the stuff the tvOS Plex client can’t do

Edit: I probably should just go to infuse

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 12, 2024

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, I just really didn’t like the layout and it’s hard to retrain others. But you’re right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Oh yeah, infuse doesn’t do LiveTV. That’s why I never used it again.